Easy entry snorkeling

JennOT

We will be traveling with 5 girls under the age of 11. We would like to try snorkeling but would like an easy entry, also the area does not have have to have the best fish just a few to say we did it. Any suggestions as to which beach to try?

Thanks for any info!!!

I suggest taking the girls to Eden Rock for snorkeling. It's a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship pier - to the right stay on the main street along the water and you can't miss it. It's a dive center but you can access the water by way of steps - very easy access. No payment is necessary unless you rent a lounger or snorkel equipment. They also have a trampoline out in the water that the kids can enjoy. The snorkeling was very good-huge fish as well! I'll be there again when our ship docks Feb 17.

Are they experienced snorkelers .... or at least good swimmers?

If not I don't think I'd recommend Eden Rock .... the water will be over their heads I do believe.

From your description I think you'd be better with a simple beach area where they might be lucky and see a fish or two, but they can stay over sand where they can stand up.

If you are brave and really want to try snorkeling for real with them, you could try Sunset House and their 'sea pool' which provides a very protected area for them to try .... and IF you are confident they can then go out to the real stuff

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

and I strongly recommend snorkeling vests for safety . . . and hopefully you have someone in the group who is a STRONG swimmer with some lifesaving training to play lifeguard.

Are they experienced snorkelers .... or at least good swimmers?

If not I don't think I'd recommend Eden Rock .... the water will be over their heads I do believe.

From your description I think you'd be better with a simple beach area where they might be lucky and see a fish or two, but they can stay over sand where they can stand up.

If you are brave and really want to try snorkeling for real with them, you could try Sunset House and their 'sea pool' which provides a very protected area for them to try .... and IF you are confident they can then go out to the real stuff

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

and I strongly recommend snorkeling vests for safety . . . and hopefully you have someone in the group who is a STRONG swimmer with some lifesaving training to play lifeguard.

My daughters are both strong swimmers ( they are both on competitive swim teams) but my neices are not as strong swimmers. We definitely will be doing snorkeling vest for all the kids. Thanks for the info!

Archived