Proof of Citizenship Question

Cruise Fanatic

One of our group that is sailing with us on The Ryndam 10-18-05 is not a U.S. Citizen, he is a Mexican Citizen. He has been in the U.S. since he was 3 years old. He has a Permanent Residency Card but no passport. My question is: Will HAL accept this as proof of his citizenship, or must he apply for a passport from his country's consulate. Would appreciate any info in this subject. I have tried to called HAL and all I get is put on hold and when I do get a live voice I get transferred to another CSR very frustrating.

From the HAL website:

Planning & Advice:

Documentation

Identification

Guests arriving at embarkation without proper documentation may not join the voyage and will not be entitled to a refund.

Non-U.S./non-Canadian citizens: must have a valid passport and any necessary visas. Please carefully verify the existing identification requirements for your particular travel situation. In addition, non-U.S. citizens who have previously been admitted to the United States for permanent residence must carry their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), commonly known as a Green Card. Resident aliens not in possession of this must obtain one at the nearest office of the U.S. Immigration Service.

It certainly reads to me that he will need a Mexican Passport where he is a citizen AND his PRC (Green Card) from the U.S. where he is a resident.

We know some of the HAL check in personnel in San Diego, specifically for the Ryndam. At this time both a "valid" passport and ARC are expected for a foreign citizen living in the US. This information should be on the immigration questionaire whether filled out by hand or on the internet.

These requirements are different for each ship and cruise line and are subject to change. The cruise line can keep you from boarding if you don't have the right documents.

Also remember that if you claim US residence and don't have an ARC, or other border crossing document, you could find yourself in the immigration office as an "Illegal Alien".

The documents are not retained for the duration of the cruise on HAL, at this time. This varies by cruise line as well. For instance, Carnival does retain passports and ARC documents for the duration of the same itinerary cruise.

It would be best for your friend to obtain a Mexican Passport.

Archived