Car Service Pickup

buckirj1

I will arrive at LHR the day before sailing. I'm planning to book a hotel near the airport via Priceline. If successful, I'll splurge and hire a car service (likely Sm!ths's) for transportation from LHR to Southampton.

Will the car services come to a hotel to collect me, or must I go back to the airport? I will have only a rollaboard and duffle, so doing it myself is...doable...but I'd rather not schlepp baggage any more than necessary.

If this doesn't work out, Plan B is the bus. Always good to have choices (bonus points for anybody who knows the movie reference).

An alternative would be to have Smiths meet you at LHR and take you to Southampton where you could check into a nice hotel and relax just a £5 cab ride from the ship. Heathrow hotels are lousy and should never be a hotel of choice.

That's a wonderful alternative. Many thanks for pointing it out. I'll feel much better once I'm actually in Southampton and a short distance from the ship.

I've used CC's search feature for Southampton hotels, and obtained much useful information (including yours).

That's a wonderful alternative. Many thanks for pointing it out. I'll feel much better once I'm actually in Southampton and a short distance from the ship.

I've used CC's search feature for Southampton hotels, and obtained much useful information (including yours).

Hi buckirj, we have booked Ellington Lodge at Concorde Club for an overnight stay before boarding QM2. Never been before, it was suggested by some one who uses this hotel regularly before his trips on QM2. We were told it is close to the port.

I'm sure if you do some research you will find plenty of hotels in Southampton which would be suitable. Like you I would prefer to be close to the port on the morning of embarkation.

Catherine

This hotel looks ok but it is quite a way from the Port, about £20 by cab. The city hotels are more basic but they are clean and functional, look up Accor Hotels on the web, they are cheap and clean and close to the docks. You wouldn't want to live there but for 1 night it is fine.

Archived