Help me decide where to snorkel??

Maddy

Being a first time snorkeler I have been reading tons about different beaches. After researching St John, and Aruba, and Coki..I dont know which one to do?! Any input from those of you that have done these beaches would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

I have only snorkeled Coki beach. There are lots of fish there because they feed them. It is much easier to get to than St. John, but St. John is supposed to be worth the effort. If this is your first cruise, then you are probably going to want to some shopping in St. Thomas as well. If that is the case, I'd say go to Coki Beach.

Who says you can snorkel at only one stop. Go ahead and snorkel in Aruba too. The wreck of the Antilla can be done as a snorkel trip. The ship should offer such a trip and I'm sure you can arrange it on your own as well. I'd recommend pelican adventures over Redsail on aruba for a snorkel trip. Redsail is probably the operator your ship contracts to run their diving and snorkeling trips, so you won't be able to book directly with them anyway.

What ship are you going on anyway? My guess is a Royal Caribbean voyager class ship.

I have been considering snorkeling at more than one stop too. Coki seem so easy though.. Have you dont Coral world? It sounds nice but I just dont know if I think its worth the money. It seems rather small. I actually have been to St. Thomas on a previous cruise. St Johns Trunk Bay sounds gorgeous. I have also been to Aruba. Its my favorite stop. We are on the Destiny, sailing 3/6.. I am counting the days to get out of this sub-zero state.. This morning it was -10* !!!

Went on the Destiny last year in Feb. It was great! We snorkled at St Johns Truk Bay. Brought my own gear. The stuff to rent looked cheap. They have underwater markers there that tell you what you are looking at and what you might see in the area. Had to catch a ferry from St Thomas. It was a good trip. Had a great time in Aruba too. They have a public bus system there we didn't find out about until we got off the boat. It runs the length of the west side of the island(the populated side) 2 bucks a piece for my wife and I for a round trip ticket to a beach on the North end of the island. It was called Arashi beach. Had great snorkling right off the beach. The kicker was seeing this catamaran pull up and anchor right next to me with about 30 people on board that paid about 40$ a piece to do the same thing I did for a 2.00$ bus ride. I really hate booking the excursions cause they cost so much. You can usually find someone on the pier that will get you where you want for a lot cheaper. I usually get off the boat and ask several people where the best snokling is and how much it will cost to get me there. I haven't been dissappointed yet. Hope this helps.

Chow, (caio)

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
Went on the Destiny last year in Feb. It was great! We snorkled at St Johns Truk Bay. Brought my own gear. The stuff to rent looked cheap. They have underwater markers there that tell you what you are looking at and what you might see in the area. Had to catch a ferry from St Thomas. It was a good trip. Had a great time in Aruba too. They have a public bus system there we didn't find out about until we got off the boat. It runs the length of the west side of the island(the populated side) 2 bucks a piece for my wife and I for a round trip ticket to a beach on the North end of the island. It was called Arashi beach. Had great snorkling right off the beach. The kicker was seeing this catamaran pull up and anchor right next to me with about 30 people on board that paid about 40$ a piece to do the same thing I did for a 2.00$ bus ride. I really hate booking the excursions cause they cost so much. You can usually find someone on the pier that will get you where you want for a lot cheaper. I usually get off the boat and ask several people where the best snokling is and how much it will cost to get me there. I haven't been dissappointed yet. Hope this helps.

Chow, (caio)

Craig

I will definately keep the Aruba bus system in mind, we have nothing planned for this stop yet. Did you see anyone doing the snuba at Trunk Bay? I think this sounds cool too! :)

No, I didn't notice anyone doing the snuba thing at Trunk Bay. Just a bunch of snorkeling.

I just noticed you were on the Fantasy in 1990. We were too. We celebrated our 1 year anniversary on it in February. That was our first cruise. I think they told us it was their first 4 day cruise that the ship had made. It had done one 3 day and we were supposedly on the first 4-day. They gave us a bunch of pictures of the boat and a book about its being built. That was a great ship. We are about to go on our 5th cruise now with the Holiday on Valentines day. Should be fun. Hope you have a great time too.

Craig

Craig, where do you catch the bus in Aruba from where the ship docks, and does the bus run on a regular basis, also just incase we get a little panicky are there taxis readily available from Arashi beacH. ARE there any amenities at this beach, washroom snorkle rentals!!!

thanks in advance for your response

MArjorie.

While in Aruba last Dec we had the greatest time snorkling at DePalm Island. The water was super slear and there were lots and lots of colorful fish. The package they have for Depalm Island also includes a great free lunch and unlimited beer or mixed drinks. I would go again in a heartbeat.

We were just at Coki beach 5 days ago. Water clarity was excellent and there were a lot of fish to see. You can snorkle in either the left side near the rocks (more fish) or on the right side near the rocks(not as many fish but more varied coral). You can rent snorkle gear right at the beach.

Craig, where do you catch the bus in Aruba from where the ship docks, and does the bus run on a regular basis, also just incase we get a little panicky are there taxis readily available from Arashi beacH. ARE there any amenities at this beach, washroom snorkle rentals!!!

thanks in advance for your response

MArjorie.

Catch the bus right out on the first big street you come to. There is a terminal on the corner. You will walk by the Taxi drivers to get there. We were looking for a little seclusion so Arashi was great. No amenities, we brought a little something to drink and eat. Didn't notice any Taxi's and the bus ran hourly up there. Quarter past I think. No rental gear either.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Caio

Craig

Archived