Grand 1/8-1/15 Review - Part 2

donnaw

CC meeting – It was set up that our roll call would meet at the Sea Breeze immediately after muster. In retrospect, this is probably not a good spot for meeting since approximately 50% of the ships passengers were in the same area. We did meet up with 8 others but the rest were out there and unknown. If you would like this to come off better then I would suggest a more isolated meeting location or something that each person would wear to make them standout (one group used mardi gras beads). I hope that Princess considers setting up formal meetings as Celebrity does since the cost is relatively low and it is a great way to kick off the cruise. Barring that happening, you will need to come up with a better way to identify each other than our group did. While we were there, I did get the drink sticker and my coke card taken care of. Sea Breeze was the location of the sail away party and was great but not conducive to meeting people that you had never seen before. The pool band was great every time they played which was often. Muts was showing the dancers and everyone around the pool along with the band which just added to the fun. Sail away was smooth and we were looking forward to not having to wear our sweaters when we got up the next morning.

Coke card - $25.00 with souvenir mug (don’t need it with to get fountain drinks). Sticker placed on card and used throughout the cruise for all fountain drinks (not available through room service since they bring cans). Princess gets a thumbs up on supporting the use of large glasses when ordered. You need to request large and not always available but if they are, you will get it. The waiters, waitresses and bar staff were much nicer about it than on Celebrity. Celebrity could learn a lesson, since they only use small glasses, which keeps the wait staff much busier chasing soda. Cost on Celebrity is also much higher.

Drink sticker – drink of the day in souvenir plastic hurricane for $5.00 also came with a sticker on the cruise card (glass not needed for refills) This entitled you to the medium drink of the day for $3.25 for the entire cruise. Drinks were: Saturday – Texas Tea, Sunday – Chocolate Banana, Monday – Pina Colada, Tuesday – Tequila Sunrise, Wednesday – Rum Punch, Thursday – Margarita, Friday – Strawberry Daiquiri. Beer specials every day usually included a buy a bucket (5 for the price of 4).

PC Dining - We went to the dining room at around 8 on the first night and were given a beeper for our twenty minute wait. This was the only night that we had to wait even though we did hit at about the same time on several other evenings. We requested first available every night and the first night were given a table for four with only the two of us at it. Our waiter seemed confused and kept removing and adding glasses for additional passengers. Sunday night was Sterling, Monday found us at a table for six, Tuesday a table for 10, Wednesday was a late start after being on the next to last tender back and a decision to go to Horizon Court. Thursday (second formal night) was a table for two. On Friday night we switched to the Da Vinci dining room and had a table for eight. Dinner was good to excellent and presentation very nice. Wait staff was adequate though not inspired. Empty dishes sometimes sat for way too long and water not filled often enough. Lots of jeans and very casual dress on the first night and last including some shorts. Formal nights appeared to be about 25% tuxes, 65% dark suits and 10% other. Balance of the time seemed to be base casual from what I saw but very rare to see a dress shirt or sport coat. However, the dress did not encompass the ship with lots running around all evening in shorts and jeans.

Note on Food: Food is definitely personal preference. One of the main reasons we cruise or go to all-inclusive resorts is that we have definitely different appetites while on vacation. I will (almost) always order fish or seafood and dh eats very little fish/seafood and sticks to beef and potatoes. I give the Princess dining room and Celebrity dining room equal rating while he definitely leans towards Celebrity in this area. However, we both agree that Sterling Steakhouse definitely comes out on top even considering the extra charge involved.

Room Service – The first morning started what became our morning routine. Pre-ordered coffee (decaf and regular), croissants, jam, cranberry juice, etc. for delivery between 7:30 and 8:00 each morning (earliest time listed) . Did not write anything in since we still went to the dining room for breakfast. I am up between 5:30 and 6:30 every morning while dh is up between 7:30 and 9. I would get up, shower and dress then run up for coffee if it was early and settle in with the Patter and a book on the balcony or just settle in and wait for room service if it was later. First morning room service showed up at 7:35. On the following morning from 7:15 – 7:25. When dh finally woke, I was comfortably settled on my lounge drinking coffee and relaxing. DH would come out and have coffee then dress and we would head up to Horizon Court. We would put down 2 people on the room service order then order 2 decafs and 2 regulars. We got silverware and dishes for two but almost a full pot of coffee each. The day we filled out the form with 1 each, we made it up to the dining room earlier since we ran out of coffee. Note: cranberry juice was not available in Horizon Court though I am pretty sure that they would bring it to you if you requested it. We just ordered it from Room Service since it was one less thing to have to carry in the buffet. We tipped the waiter each morning in cash rather than writing it in on the check.

Horizon Court Breakfast – lots of variety with some things there every day. Standards included potatoes, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, grilled tomatoes, corned beef hash, toast, bagels, French toast, pastries and cereals. Additional: omelets and pancakes changed every day along with lunch meat, fish (lox either 3 or 4 days) and other items. All were good but some were slightly unusual (the biscuits for the biscuits and gravy).

The only thing that dh didn’t like were the hash brown patties and I enjoyed everything that I tried. We found great tables outside overlooking the adult pool (aft) that became our favorite spot for meals.

Horizon Court lunch – various menus each day including theme days (oriental, Mexican) Varied salad fixings each day were excellent along with all the choices of entrees and meats/breads. I would guess that it would be practically impossible to not find something that you enjoyed. My favorites were sushi (2 days), cold shrimp (several days), Mexican with chicken enchiladas and excellent guacamole and chips. Desserts were not as varied as we remembered but all that we tried were excellent.

Horizon Court late afternoon – menu was changed at 3:30 with lots of new choices for those that came back from tours or just wanted a light snack. Always interesting and good. The menu then changed again for dinner with many of the same items as being served in the dining room.

Horizon Court late night – sandwiches, lunch meat and various breads, salads, fruit and desserts. Lots of variety and very well kept up. Tuesday night was island night and the late night buffet reflected it. One afternoon/evening had bananas foster and various other specialty desserts were available at different times.

The grill – while we only had their very excellent burgers, others reported that the rest of the food (hot dogs, brats, grilled chicken) were equally great. Open long hours each day and very quick service.

Kruizer, It was completely written and submitted so just a matter of breaking it up for posting. I'm sure I missed some points since I was tired so I will attempt to answer any questions as they come up.

You'll have a great trip!

Archived