Hakata/Fukuoka Japan

Trece

Has anyone visited the port of Hakata, which I gather is a ward of the city of Fukuoka? We will be there on Ocean Princess from 8am-5pm.

Right now we're stuck with a Princess tour returning at 1 pm with the ship sailing at 5, so I guess my initial question would be, is it comfortably possible to not return to the ship after the tour and sightsee around a little, shop etc. and return to the ship on our own?

Best would be being able to find a local guide and not do the Princess tour, but I've gotten nowhere on that so far. :confused:

I'm pretty sure there are Goodwill Guides there but I haven't reached that point yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I am going to Fukuoka City with Costa, however, in October. My reading suggests an expensive tour by the cruise is not necessary. Fukuoka can be done on our own.

Below is the web site: http://www.fukuoka-tourism.net/e/index.html

You can download a map with the green bus route with information of all major sights. The whole day green bus pass costs 730 yens. I plan to do at least 3 stops: the fish market, Tenjin Underground City and the Canal City. If time allows, will add one to two temples.

Archived