Mark Morris in Ocho Rios

Tikiman

We recently booked an excursion with Mark Morris in Ocho Rios and it was excellent. I was slightly concerned as I talked my family members into booking this tour, but it turned out to easily be the highlight of our cruise.

First Mark took us to the Falls EARLY before it became overrun with ship people and then found us a private guide. There were 8 in my group and we got many jealous looks from all the people stuck in there tour groups of 30 people. Our guide took us up the right and more challenging side of the falls. We didn't have to do that goofy hand holding business. Out guide carried our cameras and took some excellent pictures of us. It was not easy, but it was lots of fun. My 65 year old Dad came with us and said that if he had known what he was getting in for, he may not have come... But he was so glad he did. We all loved it.

Then Mark took us around the island to Fern Gully and showed us a lot of the native plants... He also talked about the history and culture of the island. He was very knowledgeable and even had an "american" accent. He did so much that day to destroy the image of the stereotypical Jamaican man.

THEN he took us to the White River to go tubing down the river. We didn't think it was possible, but this was as much fun as climbing the falls. Again it was just our group of 8 and we all loved it.

I highly recommend Mark. You can e-mail him at marco@anngel.com.jm or call him at 876-432-1177. You won't be disappointed.

We just got back from a stop in Ocho Rios where we hired Mark Morris as well. We can confirm that everything Tikiman reported about Mark, we found to be true also. We had a great day and Mark will alter the itinerary to suit your needs. We did the falls in the morning and Mark set us up with a guide for just the 4 in our group. He also told us where to exit to avoid being hassled by the vendors. He is very proud of his country and doesn't want your image of Jamaica to be spoiled by a few pushy vendors. We wanted a short visit to a beach so Mark took us to Mahagony beach - free beach admission, small fee for chair rental, friendly but not pushy vendors for food, drinks and watersports. Then we had lunch at Bibibips which he recommended and had the waitress bring us a free sample of jerked chicken before we ordered so we could try it. The food was very good and the setting, on a cliff overlooking the cove at Mahogany beach, was perfect. Then we did river tubing and Mark set us up with a private guide again. After that we went through a portion of Fern Gully before returning us to the dock. You'll have a great time and learn something about the Jamaican people if you book with Mark.

• 4 weeks later...
After reading both of the post above - we can hardly wait!!!! We're booked with Mark next week. We've planned a number of excursions for our upcoming B2B, but our day with Mark with what I am looking foward to the most (as far as excursions go). We'll post a review when we get back.

We're back! As stated in the previous posts, Mark gave us a wonderful day in Ocho Rios. There were four of us in our group.

For me, the highlight was climbing Dunns River Falls. Mark got us to the falls quickly, ensuring that we were there well ahead of the large tours. In fact, we had been finished to a while and were chatting with our guide, before the large tour groups arrived at the falls. Mark hand picked out guide, Dwight, who took a lot of pictures of us and ensured we reached the top safely. How nice it was to stop and linger, fall backwards into the pools, etc. Dwight has a great sense of humour and make our visit to the falls very enjoyable.

Like the previous posters, we also tubed down the river. Again, Mark arranged a most delightful guide, Orville, and later we stopped at Fern Gulley. Mark was very knowledgeable about the various plants growing in that area, and he also gave us a lot of information about his country while we were driving around in his SPOTLESS van.

We then had lunch at a local restaurant - "The Jerk House", which was very good and reasonable.

All in all, a very enjoyable day. When we return to Jamaica we will most certainly contact Mark again for another excursion.

If you are looking to book an excursion while in Ocho Rios, we highly recommend Mark. He is a very professional, warm, man who will tailor excursions to meet your needs.

Rick & Sue

Thanks so much for your great comments on Mark Morris. On your suggestion I emailed him to see if he was available for our cruise. We had hoped to do the Canopy Tour but they don't allow anyone under 18. We would most likely have stayed on ship but your review sounds great and we will give him a try.

How did the Ocho Rios area fare with the recent hurricane?

• 8 months later...

First let me tell you how grateful I am that you wrote and all of you were so happy about the tour he arrange, I arrange a tour with him call his Island overview, then someone got me frightened that I was booking on blind faith and I might be setting myself up to be robbed or killed, WHEW, I feel so much better now. Thanks, especially since I know others are going because of me. THANK YOU ALL

Tikiman, are you the same tikiman from the Disney polonisian resort??? If so your reviews got me to go there and we had an AWESOME time.

:) Mary

Me too, I can't wait to get to talk with you some more, these post were SO ENCOURAGING, makes you look forward to our tour even more. Good luck, Jack will be on it, that is five, plus our three, and your two will fill him up!! Take care Mary Let me know!:cool:

Archived