"must see" stops

punkmuse

my husband and i will be on Grand Turk for a day during our Princess cruise and are planning on just renting a scooter and zooming around on our own.

what are some places that we should stop at? we dont know aything about grand turk but sounds liek the island is really small.

thanks!

The places we found to be of interest were: the replica of the John Glenn space capsule (can't miss it, you'll drive right by it); a big salt pond with about twenty wild flamingoes in it; the lighthouse at the tip of the island (it could use a coat of paint, but the views from the grounds are real nice, and there are interesting facts about the lighthouse posted there); Governor's Beach, a nice place for a swim/snorkle from shore; a few detours off the main road on dirt paths brought us to undeveloped beaches. While there are no real "attractions" on GT, it's fun to explore on your own. There are lots of wild donkeys, cows, horses, etc. roaming around. There is also a Conch Museum, which we didn't check out, but it sounds interesting. The island is small, you can't get lost, and when you are finished exploring, the cruise center is amazing!

great!! thanks for the suggestions. sounds like a great place to just explore on your own and "see the sites"

seeing wild flamingos and cows and horses sounds great. i love animals! :D

did you feel safe wandering around by yourself?

we want to bring our snorkel gear and find a beach but we also want to explore so we will probably have $$ and camera on us. we will have to leave it somewhere while we snorkel and i am worried about that.

theres also no mistaking us for tourists. we are very savvy travellers and wouldnt be doing anything stupid like bringing a wallet full of cash and credit cards but we would like to have a little bit of $$ on us for shopping.

great!! thanks for the suggestions. sounds like a great place to just explore on your own and "see the sites"

seeing wild flamingos and cows and horses sounds great. i love animals! :D

did you feel safe wandering around by yourself?

we want to bring our snorkel gear and find a beach but we also want to explore so we will probably have $$ and camera on us. we will have to leave it somewhere while we snorkel and i am worried about that.

theres also no mistaking us for tourists. we are very savvy travellers and wouldnt be doing anything stupid like bringing a wallet full of cash and credit cards but we would like to have a little bit of $$ on us for shopping.

Sounds like you need to buy a water wallet. Grand Turk seemed to be a very safe island, but I would never leave cash & credit cards on the beach while I'm snorkeling. We use a water wallet -- a small watertight plastic case that's just big enough to hold a few credit cards & some cash.

Just found one on Amazon that's similar to the one we have: http://www.amazon.com/Witz-See-it-Safe/dp/B0018QCV2U/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

You could also pick one up at any of the beach supply stores in Florida.

Grand Turk was beautiful when we went last November, and we're going back next Thursday. CAN'T WAIT!

Mary Ellen

We felt very safe the whole day.

My husband snorkeled at Governor's Beach (he had his own equipment). We took turns there, going in the water, one went in while the other stayed on the lounge chair watching the stuff. That water wallet previous poster was commenting on sounds great. Got to get us one of those!

We just returned from a golf cart rental. I would recommend the same spots as everyone else. Don't be shy about going down dirt roads as they may take you to something that you won't see otherwise. I went down a dirt road, that my DW didn't want me to take, and this is where we saw the Flamingos. The lighthouse is worth the trip, it was awesome to see.

dsc04090c.jpg

dsc04078.jpg

There are two roads that go to the tip of the island. One road goes to the lighthouse and the other turns into a dirt road. There is water that comes in and separates these two roads. After going to the lighthouse we came back into the town area by the town clock and then we went down the other road. After it turned to dirt, there was another dirt road that turned to the left. We took that road and it went down to a beach like area and the flamingos were out in the water. We didn't see any flamingos on the salt ponds in town. You could see the lighthouse from where we were but you can't drive to it from that tip of the island. I hope this helps.

dsc04093b.jpg

I noticed a lot of trash in your picture of the lighthouse above. Did that seem to be a problem around the island. I wonder if is a result of the hurricane. Too bad.

Yeh, I think it was from past hurricanes, but you did not see it all over the island.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We just returned from a golf cart rental. I would recommend the same spots as everyone else. Don't be shy about going down dirt roads as they may take you to something that you won't see otherwise. I went down a dirt road, that my DW didn't want me to take, and this is where we saw the Flamingos. The lighthouse is worth the trip, it was awesome to see.

dsc04090c.jpg

dsc04078.jpg

OMG I would be in heaven if I saw these flamingos.

I LOVE flamingos, I just got a tattoo of one on my ankle for my 50th BD:D

Archived