RCL Serenade vs Celeb Solstice for Southern Caribbean?

himenohogosha

Hello,

I've been discussing cruise plans with a travel agent about going on a 7-night honeymoon cruise in the Southern Caribbean in August. We have narrowed it down to the Royal Caribbean and the Celebrity trips. I wanted to get some feedback from the forum members here before I made my decision.

The Royal makes stops at more of the smaller Caribbean islands (Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten, St Croix), and the Celebrity makes more stops along Mexico (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan). My fiancee and I want to have a more relaxed trip, getting chances to visit more private beaches (our previous trip to honolulu was disappointing because we didn't know it'd be so industrialized). We also wanted to maybe do a few funner excursions like ziplining or parasailing or snorkeling.

From what I gathered, I might have a better time with beaches on the Royal itinerary, while the Celebrity itinerary would be preferred if we cared more about hiking and exploring ruins and rainforests and such. Is this pretty accurate?

Another thing that I also got from reading the reviews on this site was that the Celebrity Solstice ship was newer and higher rated than the older Royal Serenade of the Seas. But it doesn't seem like the Royal is bad by any means either.

Any advice for us first time cruisers?

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

I can't say that I have been on either ship - my RCL experience was with Radiance of the Seas, and with Celebrity it was on Equinox (we just got home). If it was me, I would do Solstice. The experience we had aboard Equinox was a full step or two above that of the being on Radiance. In fact, we liked it so much that we booked another cruise aboard her for December - similar itinerary as what you are looking at, it seems.

If you do go with Solstice, when you are in Grand Cayman - if you are into snorkeling - do the Stingray Beach tour. I am so looking forward to going back there to do that! And eat samples of Tortuga Rum Cake (right by the tender pier).

If you do go on Serenade, make sure you don't take an overland tour on St Lucia (Mr Toad's Wild Ride on steroids - and there are some great beaches - we heard from cruisemates - on the north side of the island), Barbados has some decent snorkeling that includes a stop where there are turtles to swim with (yes, wild ones), and St Marteen has some great shopping (its my second favorite caribbean island, after St John). Check out the recent blog if you want some details of what we did.

Best Wishes!

Keep Smiling!!!

Archived