HAL and KIDS = .......

viwami

Considering take our 10 and 7 year old daughters on Nieuw Amsterdam E. Caribbean in December. It will be our 3rd cruise and first on HAL. Can someone tell if it is a good idea? Is it HAL kids program ok? Does HAL Caribbeans cruises has lots of kids? Please help, we have not booked yet.

Thanks in advance for any sugestioins

:confused:

Most posters here-WITH kids-have had good experiences with Club HAL, especially with the ages of your kids. There have been some reservations with the teenagers, and I thought the supervision was lax with my 3 year old at the activity on the beach on the private island day. Overall I think that other ships may have more to offer, but what HAL has is adequate if the parents enjoy or want to sail HAL. There are more kids during the holiday time, so it depends on which week you sail in December. We went on the Eurodam in November. There were about 7-10 kids in my daughter's age group that were regular attenders.

Most posters here-WITH kids-have had good experiences with Club HAL, especially with the ages of your kids. There have been some reservations with the teenagers, and I thought the supervision was lax with my 3 year old at the activity on the beach on the private island day. Overall I think that other ships may have more to offer, but what HAL has is adequate if the parents enjoy or want to sail HAL. There are more kids during the holiday time, so it depends on which week you sail in December. We went on the Eurodam in November. There were about 7-10 kids in my daughter's age group that were regular attenders.

Travalerie,

Thanks much for you info :)

Is it the activity for kids on the private island expensive?

Travalerie,

Thanks much for you info :)

Is it the activity for kids on the private island expensive?

It is no charge-it was just Club HAL for the day except it was at HMC. There is a small waterslide area for kids. This was probably just a one time thing, but there was only one counselor and several kids of all ages. The sign in sheet was wet and partially buried under the sand. The counselor was very nice and was being buried in the sand by a few of the kids. It was fun and cute, but I did not like the fact that she was just accepting kids under her care with no sign in sheet. Other parents did not seem to care and just dropped their kids off over there and left. Being at the edge of the water, I just thought it was too dangerous-too many things could have happened. We had a clam shell right there and my husband just stayed over there with her. Like I said, I am sure it was just a one time thing-situational. We had a great cruise on Eurodam-loved the more sedate and upscale atmosphere on the ship. On formal night they even took the kids all dressed up to the show together. It was designed to give mom and dad some time alone....of course I was two rows behind making sure she was ok;) My little one was only 3 going on 4 and she does not go to daycare, so I admit I may have been a little overprotective. I will give her a little more wiggle room this time. With the age of your kids, they should be fine.

Considering take our 10 and 7 year old daughters on Nieuw Amsterdam E. Caribbean in December. It will be our 3rd cruise and first on HAL. Can someone tell if it is a good idea? Is it HAL kids program ok? Does HAL Caribbeans cruises has lots of kids? Please help, we have not booked yet.

Thanks in advance for any sugestioins

:confused:

What date are you looking at? as this will be a big factor as to the number of kids on board. Hal has become our line of choice after our first cruise on the Noordam last year and we have 3 kids 13/11/7

Travalerie,

Thanks for important information.

You help as make decision. We just booked N. Amsterdam E. Caribbean and I'm sure our girls will like Club Hal and we will enjoy bred new ship.

PS. Have blast in May !!!!!!!!!!!

What date are you looking at? as this will be a big factor as to the number of kids on board. Hal has become our line of choice after our first cruise on the Noordam last year and we have 3 kids 13/11/7

How was it?? Sounds like you had a good time.

Did your kids like it?

We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 5th.

Travalerie,

Thanks for important information.

You help as make decision. We just booked N. Amsterdam E. Caribbean and I'm sure our girls will like Club Hal and we will enjoy bred new ship.

PS. Have blast in May !!!!!!!!!!!

Great! And thanks-we missed having a cruise in 2009 so this is a long awaited trip. Write a review and let us know how your kids enjoyed the ship. I think for the right family, HAL is a great choice.

No problems with Club HAL when our daughter was younger...now older (16) our daughter will be going with us on 2 HAL cruises this year. I know that some kids aren't thrilled with the older kids programs on HAL (or other lines for that matter). She knows better than to complain about anything related to the teen program. As her parents, we will cruise on the line that we choose since we are paying for it. She has learned to find a few nice pals and enjoy the cruise, no matter what line we're on.

No problems with Club HAL when our daughter was younger...now older (16) our daughter will be going with us on 2 HAL cruises this year. I know that some kids aren't thrilled with the older kids programs on HAL (or other lines for that matter). She knows better than to complain about anything related to the teen program. As her parents, we will cruise on the line that we choose since we are paying for it. She has learned to find a few nice pals and enjoy the cruise, no matter what line we're on.

Sounds like you raised the kind of daughter we hope to raise!! Too many times parents do things to cater to the kids. Sometimes you have to, but when it comes to vacation, the kids should be happy they are going somewhere and count their blessings!

It's worth the extra effort let me tell you...she's not perfect but we have no hesitation in taking her on very "adult" itineraries such as the Baltic this summer. Your kids will often live up to the expectations you set for them.

Just had to say great posts, Ballwin Babe and Travalerie, and great job with your kids! My parents, husband and I are taking our 10 and 6 year olds to the Baltics this summer, and it will be their third cruise with HAL. We have found HAL to be a great choice for our inter-generational group, and the kids have loved it. So much fun for everyone.

However, we've already discussed that we're blessed to have this incredible opportunity (provided by Grandparent Grant!), and everyone has to do their part to make it a good trip. As parents, we will strive to create memorable family experiences and provide interesting activities. (It does take a lot more planning than an adults-only cruise!) As children, their job is to provide pleasant, polite, and positive companionship and to help represent our family well. My kids aren't angels, but you are so right, they will rise to the expectations you set.

And family rule: Anyone, of any age, who uses the term "bored" on a trip will find themselves occupied very quickly. There are always tasks that need to be done, anywhere in the world!

Have a great time on your Baltic cruise! We're on the Eurodam from Dover on May 29.

I've discovered and used a little trick successfully when going ashore with our daughter when she was in the 5-10 year old range. It only works when you're visiting OLD towns and villages in Europe...and it may apply to the Baltic itinerary.

Each old town always had a well. More often than not, that well, though dried up and no longer in use, is still present and visible SOMEWHERE in the town. That's the game...find the well in the town! While the kids are alert and occupied looking for the well, you are able to enjoy a walk through and see much of the village you're in. (BIG CLARIFICATION: The kids are NOT out searching on their own, of course, but walking with you as they scan the area.)

This helps keep the "B" word at bay because they're on a mission!

I really look forward to my girls getting older so they can explore and retain more. Europe is one of the places I am most excited about visiting. I have been there in bits and pieces, but still have managed to miss some of the major places I want to see. I plan to wait until they are both 5 so I have a couple more years or cruises around the US before then. I don't mind:)

Its good to have encouragement from other parents to continue raising our kids to be less self centered. Its the natural way to go but I know they will thank us in the end. As an adult I am so thankful to my parents for making me think in different ways, to see the world through others eyes...I am also thankful for every road trip and all of the experiences I had with them. It really does enrich my life as I am able to recount all the places I have had the privlage to see!

Archived