Orient Beach Questions

dersar

My husband and I will be sailing to St. Martin on the Celebrity Solstice in early May and plan to go to Orient Beach for the day. I have a couple questions and would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

First - We hope to share a taxi on the way to Orient Beach. Since we won't know others in the cab and may not want to return at the same time, we probably won't ask the taxi driver to return at a specific time. Is it easy to find a taxi in the afternoon to return to the ship?

Second - Based on the following, what area would you recommend for us to rent chairs and umbrella. Price is not our main focus. We would like to have comfortable cushions on the chairs with a fair amount of space between lounge chairs and good drink service on the beach. Fun but not too crazy environment. Nudity is not an issue either way.

Third - Do you rent the chairs for the entire day and can you leave and come back? For example if we get up to walk the beach or go somewhere else for lunch can we leave our towels in the chairs and return after an hour or so?

My husband and I will be sailing to St. Martin on the Celebrity Solstice in early May and plan to go to Orient Beach for the day. I have a couple questions and would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

First - We hope to share a taxi on the way to Orient Beach. Since we won't know others in the cab and may not want to return at the same time, we probably won't ask the taxi driver to return at a specific time. Is it easy to find a taxi in the afternoon to return to the ship?

Second - Based on the following, what area would you recommend for us to rent chairs and umbrella. Price is not our main focus. We would like to have comfortable cushions on the chairs with a fair amount of space between lounge chairs and good drink service on the beach. Fun but not too crazy environment. Nudity is not an issue either way.

Third - Do you rent the chairs for the entire day and can you leave and come back? For example if we get up to walk the beach or go somewhere else for lunch can we leave our towels in the chairs and return after an hour or so?

I can't help you with all of your questions but I do know that there are plenty of people/taxis willing to take you back to the ship. We already had a ride and were asked several times if we needed a ride.

I am pretty sure your rental of the beach chairs are for the entire day, and I don't think it would be a problem if you left your towels and strolled the beach. Hopefully someone can help you with the padded chairs. We found some chairs in front of Andy and Cheryl's, they are recommended on CC. I don't think they have padded chairs but they are supposed to have good food. They are from the U.S. and run the restaurant on the beach.

dsc03697q.jpg

Thanks, bishop35 - very helpful information. Andy & Cheryl's looks like a great place for lunch. Noticed the KS sign on your screen name. We're from KC.

Anyone else have ideas on places with padded chairs? Hubby has a bad back.

1st - We shared a taxi and the driver recommended Le String, said the owner was from Baltimore. The Raven's flag was a give away.;) We walked the beach looking for a deal and Le String was as good as any other. The driver said he'd be back at 2:00 (or whatever it was) to pick us up.. And he was. There were other taxis/vans lined up if he didn't show so we were all set.

2nd - The Le String lounges were perfect, cushions, an umbrella and a mini table for us. The service was perfect and there was space around us, no one was right on top of us, if that's what you're getting to. The bar, a bathroom and shower were steps away also. I saw the owner (I forget his name) and chatted for a few, he's a great guy and bought me a beer.

3rd - Yes, the lounger is yours for the day. Tell the beach guy that you'll be back in a few and he'll keep an eye your towels and stuff. he also shoo'd the vendors away from us. We had lunch there, but some folks walked around and got it elsewhere.

Have a great time, we love Orient beach and will be going back to Le String.

Le String seems like a perfect spot to spend the day on Orient Beach. Which direction do you go to find Le String. What is the cost for the lounges, umbrellas, etc? What is the cost of cab fare to get to Orient Beach and how far is it?

Le String seems like a perfect spot to spend the day on Orient Beach. Which direction do you go to find Le String. What is the cost for the lounges, umbrellas, etc? What is the cost of cab fare to get to Orient Beach and how far is it?

The taxi - It's per person depending on the amount of folks in the van, I think it's about $5-$10 per person. I think it's 25 - 35 minutes, I forget, but remember to allow that time to get back to the ship...

Le String - Is near the middle I think, sometime back, someone posted a beach map, I'll see if I can find it... I think the cost was $10 for the lounger, umbrella and a drink. They didn't screw you on the drinks either. The earlier you get there the better choice of loungers, whether you want to be closest to the water or a bit further back.

I think the owner's name is Ray, look for the Baltimore Raven's flag.. have fun!!

This will be my fifth time to Orient Beach. I've always rented a car so I can't help you with the cab info. I rent chairs and umbrellas from Kon Tiki. They have nice padded cushions and I think I paid $18 for the day. You just sit in a chair you like and a waiter will come to you and tell you the price. He will bring you a menu to order food and drinks if you like, but it's not required. You also can come and go as you please, just let your waiter know you will be back. Not far at all from Andy and Cheryl's Baywatch if you choose to eat there. There are some cheaper options but I always end up there.

491285072_St.MartinOrientBeach09.jpg.b4a7470eb9d1308fab6831306210be1e.jpg

1410993018_St.MartinOrientBeach01.jpg.3df5bcda6c86cae54171be171cf168fb.jpg

Used Kon Tiki in Jan 09. It was 21 if you wanted the first row nearest the water. Otherwise it was 18 for those chairs behind the first row. Their pizza was fairly good as well. I don't drink so i can't help there.

When you get out of the port area, and to the taxi area, there will be someone asking where you want to go. They will group with with others going in the same direction/place. If i remember right, when full the cab was $8 pp. At the pier they are almost always full going to Orient. There will be several taxis waiting to take you back. Same rules apply, the more people the cheaper the fare. Never had a problem getting a taxi full for the cheapest rate. All the rates are standardized, so shopping around won't help with price.

TBN Hubby here,

Was there last week. Taxi rates are posted at the dispatcher's station at the end of the pier and they are fixed by zones. To Orient Beach is $18 for either 1 or 2, with the price decreasing as more are added to the cab. For 6 folks it will be $6 each. Tip is additional if you wish. If you get off the ship really early you may not have a full cab on the way to OB unless you want to wait a while, but the return trip is usually full.

If there are several ships in port, it is best to go early to get the spot you want. At about 10:30 or 11:00 the ships tours arrive and it sometimes gets very crowded.

Lots of cabs waiting at Pedro's at the end of the day to take you back to the ship. We allow an hour but the actual trip back is usually about 1/2 hour. Cabs at other places also but we are usually somewhere near Pedro's so don't have the other names in mind.

Most cabs will drop you off at Pedro's if you don't have another destination in mind, but if you want another location just say so. It is the same price. You most likely will see nude folks thee so if that is a problem just tell the driver and they will drop you off elsewhere.

Even though you didn't ask, I recommend you take cash $$$$ for you lunch, chairs BEER, and so forth. Prices on the French side are in Euros but many places will take dollars at 1 for 1 if you pay cash. That is a savings of about 35% depending on the exchange rate. Also saves on the 3% credit card 'transaction fee'.

Another vote for Kon Tiki. They have everything you mentioned - cushy chairs, more space between each other, 2 bars, restaurant, shower, bathrooms...

We walked much of the beach first and decided on Kon Tiki was one of the best.

Archived