Whale Watching and Kayak - Juneau vs Kenai Fjords

odd man out

I am interested in a whale watching and/or a kayak excursion during our cruise in July (Vancouver to Seward - first ever cruise). I noticed that the Kenai Fjords boat trips seem to be somewhat less expensive than the Juneau excursions, but they aren't billed as whale watching excursions specifically. How do these experiences compare? Also, how do kayak trips compare in these ports? Also, would two person kayaks generally be available? My wife would want to do the kayak only if I was in the back to do most of the paddling icon10.gif

I can't address your kayaking questions, but I do know that the whale watching chances seem more at Juneau and Kenai. We actually did a catamaran whale-watching excursion in Juneau with the cruiseline. We saw 26 hump-back whales, seals, eagles, and a couple orca whales. It was awesome!!!

We have been twice in Juneau on the excursion booked thru Holland America on a catamaran in Auke Bay and it was unbelievable! We saw lots of humpbacks and a pod of orcas teaching a baby how to hunt. Amazing. Also the other inhabitants...eagles, sea lions etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Millers Landing for a guided kayak tour out of Seward. http://www.millerslandingak.com/

When we went we used the TourSaver book and that turned out to be a good deal. I don't know what their normal prices are. The guide we had was excellent and patient with us. They do have two person kayaks. That's what we used since letting my husband do most of the paddling once I got tired was part of our plan :D

Archived