Solstice with a 6 year old??

knitdiva

Will he enjoy the cruise? I have no doubt I will.

My family has cruised on RCCL, NCL and Carnival. DS is too young (turning 6 this month) for rock climbing and not interested in ice skating in the summer (he gets to skate all winter long). He only attended kids club last summer on Carnival for a few hours a day and had a good time.

Also wanted to know how Celebrity handles food allergies. DS is allergic to peanuts.

I will also post this message in the family cruise section.

Thank you!

As far as the allergies, if you notify Celebrity ahead of time they will try to accommodate you as much as possible. I do not specifically how the buffet would affect your child. However, I asked them to have iodized sea salt available for me and I was told I had to bring my own. So good luck.

Celebrity does a GREAT job with kids. The ratio of kids to counselors is better than on the bigger ships, and they really treat the kids well.

I have been sailing with our kids since 2004 (see list below) and it is the perfect way for a family to travel.

My 3 year old just loved her X cruise last year and as a 4 year old this year loved the Princess cruise.

X is great in working with allergies. My step father has a gluten allergy and they were great in ensuring there was plenty of choices for him. He had asian food, which he hadn't eaten since his diagnosis and well as gluten free breads. It hooked him on cruise to be able to not worry or struggle about diet while on vacation

Son first cruised on Solstice when he was 6... had a great time in the pool with us and around the ship and islands we visited, but found the kids club and staff lacking. When, a few months later, we sailed Disney, the comparison was night and day... really had to work to get him out of their amazing kids club and we found the pager and security system very reassuring. With that said, we're about to sail on Celebrity with him again (this time on Summit)... but we have reasonable expectations... we will be pleasantly surprised if the kids club captivates him but will enjoy this sailing with him as a family. We are already scouting (at our son's insistance!) a cruise on the new Disney Dream for next year. We'll see about that.

Our son is also nut allergic. We were clear with the line before the sailing, so that meant dinners were accomodated in the dining room, brought some of our own foods for his snacks and breakfast, and could find safe alternatives at lunch by scouting ahead of time.

My adivce: manage your expectations to allow for pleasant surprises, be sure they know of the allergy in advance.... and...

Enjoy your sailing.

we just got off the Solistice and the kids loved the little sprayers that come out of the floor at the pool. I walked up to the kids area even though our kids weren't with us this trip and they seemed to be having a great time..

As for the peanut allergy my daughter's boyfriend has a peanut allergy and they COULD NOT HAVE Been more WONDERFUL! we told them on the first night at dinner and they brought a different bread basket every night..would tell him each day what he could eat or couldn't eat and if he ordered something he shouldn't they stopped him. I WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND ANYTIME DINING FOR SURE in this case though because the same waiter got used to our needs and met them everyday and night.. on the buffet he was a teenager and knew what he could and couldn't eat BUT he is also allergic to milk, chicken and peanut OIL. he knew to stick with pizza or hamburgers, hotdogs for lunch...lol

Archived