Looking for great snorkeling San Juan, Labadee St.Maarten

Out of the 3 ports what is the best for snorkeling. We are looking for something like the experience we have had at CHaakanaab in Cozumel MX. Out there the snorkeling was amazing and right off the shore of the park. We had a great time in St. Thomas at the beach by the Aquarium. They have people selling dog biscuits to feed the fish right off shore and it was beautiful. I am looking for something right off the shoreline not wanting to go out far in a boat. Didnt know if Labadee has an area like this or San Juan, St.Maarten.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Mike

Unfortunately, this is not the itin for great snorkeling. Good snorkeling in PR but not near the port and you're probably not there for long. Labadee has almost no snorkeling...I mean you can try, we did off Barefoot Beach which is now the suite pad beach...but there was almost nothing of interest, certainly nothing like the Eastern itin nor CoCoCay, IMHO the best snorkeling port next to the Virgins that RCCL currently goes to. Some beaches on St Maarten have snorkeling, but not the major ones, you have to do some research and rent a car to do good ones...try here for St. Maarten: http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/stmaarten_Beaches.html If you want a great calm water beach try Mullet Bay beach, and there are some fish on the rocks over to the left of the beach...but you'll have a great relaxing day on a beautiful stretch of white sand and turqouise water. The Dutch side has the best beaches IMHO because the water is so crytal clear and calm. French side is the windward side and has more wave action.

Unfortunately, this is not the itin for great snorkeling. Good snorkeling in PR but not near the port and you're probably not there for long. Labadee has almost no snorkeling...I mean you can try, we did off Barefoot Beach which is now the suite pad beach...but there was almost nothing of interest, certainly nothing like the Eastern itin nor CoCoCay, IMHO the best snorkeling port next to the Virgins that RCCL currently goes to. Some beaches on St Maarten have snorkeling, but not the major ones, you have to do some research and rent a car to do good ones...try here for St. Maarten: http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/stmaarten_Beaches.html If you want a great calm water beach try Mullet Bay beach, and there are some fish on the rocks over to the left of the beach...but you'll have a great relaxing day on a beautiful stretch of white sand and turqouise water. The Dutch side has the best beaches IMHO because the water is so crytal clear and calm. French side is the windward side and has more wave action.

I haven't snorkeled at all of the ports you mentioned, but the best snorkeling I've ever seen is in Roatan, which is visited by RCI on Voyager.

We're big fans of snorkeling, and visited the ports you listed and I agree with BecciBoo, it wasn't a great itinerary for that activity. We weren't in San Juan long enough and it was so rainy when we were at Labadee, that we never got a chance to see whatever snorkeling they may have.

We tried snorkeling off of the beach in St. Maarten. We took a taxi to one of the beaches. I can't remember the exact one, I'd have to go back and see if I wrote a review - so you can potentially avoid it. ;) The day we were there the water was very churned up and sandy, I think it was due to recent storms and because of nearby dredging. It probably would have been OK if the water had been clearer. We cut the day short and went shopping - the shopping is fantastic! :D

Of the three, I'd focus on St. Maarten and try the port specific board.

Archived