Car or train to Arles from Marseille

schoolinmy3

We are a family of 5 cruising on the Eurodam next month. The only port that we have not reserved something yet is Marseille. We have been doing a combination of ship's excursions, private tours and car rentals as well as some public transportation planned in Barcelona and Lisbon. So we are flexible. My sons (17 and 19) are interested in visiting Arles. My husband and I have visited Arles in the past, before we had kids. And we have driven in Europe as recently as 2007. But it does seem like renting a car in Marseille can be confusing as to how to get to the rental agency from the ship and which rental agency is closest. My husband gets a good rate from Avis so that is what we prefer to use. However we are also open to train travel. Since we are only planning to visit Arles it does seem that using the train versus car rental is also a viable option. What do you think? Opinions please. Thanks :p

diane

Diane, The train connections from Marseille St Charles Station to Arles are excellent with at least one train an hour. But, with a family of 5 you need to consider that your total cost for train fares will approximate $200. As to getting to a rental car company, there are several located near the Marseille train station so that is really not the issue. My thinking is that we would generally not spend a full day in Arles (it is far from our favorite place in that region) so we have a recommendation. Given your situation we would rent a car (it will probably cost less then the train) and not only drive to Arles, but also stop at Pont du Gard which is an amazing place that would fit into your itinerary.

Hank

I agree with Hank (sometimes that happens! and when it does . . .) Arles is interesting but you might actually find Pont du Gard to be incredible and if you have the time a quick stop in Avignon, but that may be too much so if you are a Van Gogh person you might want to include St Remy along the route.

I agree with Hank (sometimes that happens! and when it does . . .) Arles is interesting but you might actually find Pont du Gard to be incredible and if you have the time a quick stop in Avignon, but that may be too much so if you are a Van Gogh person you might want to include St Remy along the route.

Hmmm once you go to St Remy you could even run over to Les Baux! This region has to be one of the great vacation regions in the world. Last year we rented an apartment in St Remy for two weeks and found that we did not have enough time to do it all!

Hank

Thank you for taking the time to post all the points of interest. We did reserve a car through Avis so I am sure we will have a great time touring Provence. Years ago we went to Avignon as well as Arles and also Vaison de la Romaine. There is a wonderful restaurant in Vaison de la Romaine that my father always has to visit (he is Belgian living in America but travels to Europe regularly). He always orders fish soup at this place and he asked me to please stop there and bring some back in my suitcase. :p

diane

Thank you for taking the time to post all the points of interest. We did reserve a car through Avis so I am sure we will have a great time touring Provence. Years ago we went to Avignon as well as Arles and also Vaison de la Romaine. There is a wonderful restaurant in Vaison de la Romaine that my father always has to visit (he is Belgian living in America but travels to Europe regularly). He always orders fish soup at this place and he asked me to please stop there and bring some back in my suitcase. :p

diane

Your father and I would get along well when it comes to food. The fish soup served in Provence is one of my favorite foods, although we tend to favor having ours in old town Nice.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

diane

Where do you pick your car up from Avis or do they drop the car at Marseilles cruise port for you? And can you drop it off at the cruise port when done?

Edited by FeelingCruisy

Where do you pick your car up from Avis or do they drop the car at Marseilles cruise port for you? And can you drop it off at the cruise port when done?

There were several Avis locations in Marseille and we chose the one at the train station. We just figured that would be the easiest to find. This is the address: Railway Station Gare SNCF, Marseille, AF8

From what I read here on the cruise critic boards a suggestion was to take the ship's shuttle to the old port and then the train station is a 15 minute walk from there. Another suggestion was to take a taxi.

diane

Edited by schoolinmy3

Hi Diane. I would absolutely recommend a car for this region as there is so much to see, the scenery while driving to cities/ towns is gorgeous and you have greater flexibility. I remember you posting elsewhere that your crew were avid readers and into history. I would recommend Pont du Gard for sure. There is a museum that is interesting and explains how the aqueduct was constructed. Also, you can walk through the actual water way itself- very cool with awesome views. I wouldn't recommend the film at the museum- felt it was not so good and a bit inappropriate (the 'bath' scene could be on late night Cinemax). Les Baux is beautiful...as is St Remy...love Arles...love Nimes. There is so much to see in this area with kids (or without). Have a great trip!

Hi Diane. I would absolutely recommend a car for this region as there is so much to see, the scenery while driving to cities/ towns is gorgeous and you have greater flexibility. I remember you posting elsewhere that your crew were avid readers and into history. I would recommend Pont du Gard for sure. There is a museum that is interesting and explains how the aqueduct was constructed. Also, you can walk through the actual water way itself- very cool with awesome views. I wouldn't recommend the film at the museum- felt it was not so good and a bit inappropriate (the 'bath' scene could be on late night Cinemax). Les Baux is beautiful...as is St Remy...love Arles...love Nimes. There is so much to see in this area with kids (or without). Have a great trip!

The first time we ever went to this region was many years ago on the Regent Spirit. We fell in love with the entire region (this was long before "A Year in Provence" was published) and it was a driving factor in bringing us back to the region on many land trips. Last year we finally decided to rent an apartment for two weeks in St Remy, and later thought we should have stayed for 2 months (perhaps next time). One morning I walked from our apartment into town (about 4 blocks) to buy some bread and cheese and we saw a tour group from a cruise ship (they were docked in Marseille) being led by a guide with one of those funny little signs. My wife's reaction was that she felt sorry for those folks that they only could spend a few minutes in "our town." Although we are big cruise fans (pretty obvious when you read our posts) we also think that land trips (renting a car and just driving is the best way) are a fabulous way to vacation. Of course we have long thought the perfect vacation was a combination of land and sea.

Hank

Hi Diane. I would absolutely recommend a car for this region as there is so much to see, the scenery while driving to cities/ towns is gorgeous and you have greater flexibility. I remember you posting elsewhere that your crew were avid readers and into history. I would recommend Pont du Gard for sure.

Thank you for the recommendation. We will add Pont du Gard onto the list. I see that it is near Nimes. What did you find of particular interest in Nimes? Also any recommendations for lunch somewhere between Arles and Nimes/Pont du Gard? Thanks!

diane

Edited by schoolinmy3

Although we are big cruise fans (pretty obvious when you read our posts) we also think that land trips (renting a car and just driving is the best way) are a fabulous way to vacation. Of course we have long thought the perfect vacation was a combination of land and sea.

Hank

I agree Hank, this is actually our first time in Europe via a cruise. We always have done land trips. I lived in Belgium for a year as a teenager and we have visited several times since. Our last trip in 2007 we bought a Volvo. We drove everywhere. It was great.:D

diane

Hi Diane. Your crew is a bit older than ours, and please keep in mind that our trips to Provence have been part of land based travels. We have spent a week each of the last three years there and still have not seen everything. On your questions:

Nimes- has one of the very best examples of Roman colosseums left in the world. The arena is fantastic. Think small version of the Roman Colosseum but in excellent condition. There is a 3-D film that gives the history of the gladiators- see this before you go to the arena. Once at the arena, Culture Spaces has a treasure hunt game. It might be a little young for your crew but we enjoyed it as adults. There are some beautiful gardens to walk through and some ruins very close by.

Pont du Gard- we did the museum, film, walked the aqueduct and kayaked down the Gard river. The kayaking takes the better part of a day to do so would not be an option for a day trip. If you walk all the way across the bridge, you can see the kids jumping off of the rocks into the water. There is a little sandwich shop on the other side- great spot for a snack and to soak it all in. Our kids loved seeing how the bridge was constructed (see film first). It brought the history to life for them.

If you find some extra time, hit Les Baux- beautiful scenery and hiking. Some nice shops at the bottom and a similar Culture Spaces program for the kids. Some nice cafes and take out in town below the entrance to the ruins.

I would tell you to stick with a quick lunch along the way as opposed to sitting down. In our limited experience, sit down lunches in Provence can take some time. Yes, the food and wine are outstanding, but I would try to see the sights and pick up a baguette sandwich or pastry while sightseeing. Recommend going to Frommers to download maps of areas/ attractions so you can get your bearings. As Hank and other suggest, definitely get a car with GPS.

Have a great trip!

Edited by Destin Mom

=I would tell you to stick with a quick lunch along the way as opposed to sitting down. In our limited experience, sit down lunches in Provence can take some time. Yes, the food and wine are outstanding, but I would try to see the sights and pick up a baguette sandwich or pastry while sightseeing. Recommend going to Frommers to download maps of areas/ attractions so you can get your bearings. As Hank and other suggest, definitely get a car with GPS.

Have a great trip!

Thank you for your help. I will add your notes of those cities in Provence to my travel itinerary. We will probably be looking for a creperie for lunch. It seems to be a recurring theme when travelling in Europe with our son. He LOVES crepes.:rolleyes: We make them at home but don't have the large crepe pans they use in France. We are going to end up purchasing one eventually.:D We made an entire slide show of all the food we ate on our last land tour in Europe. Every single meal! Crepes in Brighton, crepes in Paris, crepes in the Ardennes!:D See below

diane

488317857_20070402Brighton(20).jpg.45f725c9ce2fafbb6278f6b8d0c7603d.jpg

1492023060_20070416Paris(24).jpg.c9e269e3893df32c13c7c0d6014c4c09.jpg

Edited by schoolinmy3

• 6 years later...