Bummer/Ijmuiden Port

Zoolander

I have still not heard back from Azamara concerning transportation from the ship into Amsterdam.

In this case... no news is probably BAD news.

We may just have to bite the bullet and purchase the "Do As You Like" 8 hours Amsterdam excursion. Which is really a shame, as I thought Azamara was going to start having complimentary shuttles.

Someone on CruiseCritic actually said the commute could be up to 1 hour if the traffic is bad. Is that accurate?

Anyway...

So, I just spent a little time looking at the site that explains the I Amsterdam Travel Card, and that is a great deal.

But...

I don't think it is going to any value for us if we are having to come from Ijmuiden.

Does anybody know differently?

Looks like we may have to purchase an excursion from Azamara and pay ala carte for all of the museums, restaurants and canal cruises.

Is someone knows if we could make the card work, I would be interested in hearing from you.

It is such a shame as two of our top three museums were free of charge, we are planning on going on one canal cruise (which we have two options for free), plus the discounts at the other museums and restaurants.

Is there any good news out there concerning getting into town from this port, or are we looking at forking out $100 for transportation and paying full price for everything?

Thanks in advance.

Since the Azamara tour is only transportation to the city, can you still buy the card for the attractions? I am not aware of the prices for the card or the attractions, but if you can do a cost analysis and still come out ahead, I would still buy the card even though Azamara will be providing transportation in to town. Even if we docked in the city center, you would require the same transportation around town from location to location, so I would still consider the card. I used these types of cards on our Scandinavian cruise and it made it soooo easy to see everything we wanted to in one day. Yes, there was a port or two that was really close in price to what we would have paid individually, but the ease of not having to deal with paying at each location outweighed the cost difference.

From ijmuiden to amsterdam there's a high speed hydrofoil that does not take more than 15 minutes or so. It's efficient and cheap. It is however not a walking distance from where you dock. The hydrofoil will drop you behind the central station that will give you busses, trams and taxis to eveywhere.

The internet addres of the service is http://www.fff.nl

It's in dutch however, but there's a contact button. The return is priced at 9,40 euro for the day

It sails 2 per hour

Any questions, let me know !

Someone mentioned over on the Europe board that the service for this hydrofoil may be limited the day we arrive in Ijmuiden because that is the day of the big "Sail in parade" of ships for the Sail Amsterdam festival. Certainly worth an email to them to find out for sure.

Still looking into it.

I don't believe the card covers The Anne Frank house:(, but it does cover the two popular museums my wife would like to see:).

If I understand correctly, it looks like public transit will be VERY difficult on the days that the Sail In Parade is in town.

I have not heard back from Azamara:mad:, so it looks as if we will be looking at the 8 hour excursion priced at $49 a person. Do you have any idea how long it will take to get into town, as if it is an hour (instead of 30 minutes), we are already down to six hours of exploring.

Do you know the distance from The Anne Frank House to the Sail In Parade? It sounds as if we may HAVE to do a lot of walking, which is fine with me.

I have looked at the Sail In website and that Parade will be amazing, so sounds like a once in a lifetime event. We have added that to our list of things to do.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Archived