In-room babysitting

I recently saw another poster mention that she had an in-room babysitter for her son. I wasn't sure if she was saying that the sitter was a ship employee or someone that she'd brought on the cruise for the purpose of babysitting. Does anyone know if RCCI offers in-room babysitting? I've never heard of it. I looked all over their site and couldn't find anything about it.

I'm thinking that if in-room babysitting was an offered service that we might be more apt to take a cruise w/in the next year. We'd love to take our 2 1/2 yr old, but part of what we love so much is the nightlife. One or two "adult" evenings on the ship would be nice.

Hope someone has some answers. Thanks for your responses.:)

First, RCCL does have in-room babysitting. On my last cruise, I did use it.

This was the 3rd cruise for my 2 1/2 year old. We were invited to dine with the Captain. Children aren't allowed. They arranged a sitter. I asked for a female sitter and asked if she could come earlier in the day to meet me and my son. On her break, she came to our stateroom and met with us. My son got along with her very well and she was a very sweet, well-mannered, enthusiastic woman. She was about my age and we talked quite a bit about things we had in common. So, she arrived about 15 min before we were to meet for dinner and I gave her a backpack with all the things that she may need. She and my son walked around the ship and then came back to the stateroom and watched cartoons and read books. He had a great time. Her position was cabin steward, but she volunteered to be a babysitter on her off time.

My advice: Schedule early. Request the sex of the babysitter if it matters to you. Have them come and meet with you and your child early as I did. See how you feel about this person and go with your instincts! Have a wonderful trip!

If you have any more questions, please ask!

Thank you so much, SeaBreezy! I was just getting ready to post back to you to ask how you found out about the sitter. Instead I decided to go look at the RCCI site one more time just to make sure I hadn't overlooked something. Wouldn't you know it... the answers I needed were under "Family Cruising". Since I'd never been interested in Family Cruising I'd never looked at that part of the site. Doh! I have all my answers now, lol.

I was just curious what you did to keep your little one occupied since he was too young to participate in the Adventure Ocean program? Was he potty trained already so that you could take him in the pool? I'm afraid that I'm going to have a late potty trainer, lol, so that will put a cramp in our cruise plans. If you can't take your little one in the pool then what else is there to do to keep a little person happy? Did you feel like you enjoyed your vacation or did you feel like you spent a lot of time in your cabin while your son napped (if he naps)? These are all concerns of mine & I want to make sure that cruising w/our son would be a good experience for all of us.

Thanks again for your help :)

Hi again! My little guy was 18 mo. old on the first cruise. I didn't use the babysitting on this one and he wasn't potty trained. I used swim diapers in the ocean and I only dipped him in the pool a couple of times. The ship's pool had shallow (just above his knees) all around the edge and then dropped off to 6 ft.

He just enjoyed toddling around the ship and looking at things. The staff loved him and people were talking to him wherever he went. He danced to the bands that were at the pool. We were in the S. Caribbean and it was very port intensive, so he was never "bored". He will sleep anywhere and did so! In my arms in taxis, in the stroller, in the lounge chair (shaded) on the pool deck, just about anywhere!

In Alaska, I used the in-room sitter. No swimming on this cruise! Same thing about keeping him occupied. Bring toys and do a lot of walking. He loved going to a window and sitting in it and just looking out. Talking to people. There were cartoons on TV. Trust me, there's plenty to do.

flyfan: What did you decide to do?

we took our daughter on Explorer last january she was 17months old we used the in room sitter twice same girl each time we ate dinner at the early sitting and put her to sleep before the sitter came and she slept the entire time we were gone. It was a nice way for DH and I to be able to enjoy the shows. The fees were $8 an hour cash only and you had to book 24 hours ahead. We would have used the sitter every night if we could have. I reccomend you book early you can always cancell if you change your mind because there is limited availibilty

RCI does have in room babysitting. They are crew members who do it on the side on their off hours. We had one for my son for three nights on the Mariner. It costs $8 an hour. Since I don't use a sitter at home, I don't know if this was high priced or not. I know that for me, it was well worth the price. Our sitter, Lydia, was wonderful. I have a handicapped son and she wasn't intimidated by his handicap at all. His handicap is quite severe as well.

You can't book before you get on board. As soon as you get on board, go to the guest relations desk and book one. Formal nights are usually on Monday and Thursday nights.

They really are wonderful at RCI.

Julie

SeaBreezy,

I'm pretty sure we're going to go ahead and try it out. My in-laws will be in the cabin next to ours & they go to bed pretty early, so I may just set up a baby monitor so they can keep an ear on things too. Plus I plan to check in often and have my teenage sons do the same, as will my friends who have the younger baby. I'm sure it will be fine. I don't want to seem like a bad parent, but I will probably get a sitter at least 4 of the nights. Since we're going on a group cruise, I know I will want to do more 'group fun' and less 'wine on the balcony' nights.

Guess we won't know for sure until October.

~fly

Archived