Shoe shine

2guysabz

We're doing our first Cunard cruise - and only our second ever cruise. I was curious to know whether Cunard, specifically QV, offers a shoe shine service. Should I carry a travel shoe shine kit?

I was a bit disappointed that P&O Ventura did not have this service onboard. My formal shoes always seem to get scuffed :-(

We're doing our first Cunard cruise - and only our second ever cruise. I was curious to know whether Cunard, specifically QV, offers a shoe shine service. Should I carry a travel shoe shine kit?

I was a bit disappointed that P&O Ventura did not have this service onboard. My formal shoes always seem to get scuffed :-(

I would take your shoe polish and brushes just to be on the safe side. In two cruises on QV I have never seen any evidence of a shoe shine service (ie, shoes left outside cabins at night etc). However, as the old maxim states "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence", so it's possible that there is such a service. We travelled Britannia so it may be one of those things that's on offer in the Grills only.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with a more definitive answer.

Enjoy your time on QV - she is a wonderful ship.

J

On my first Cunard trip I happened to catch our steward in the afternoon before formal dinner and I handed my black shoes to him and requested him to give them a "once over". He looked at me as though I was from another planet and announced that "We don't normally do that, but I will have a go." Regrettably I allowed him to do so and lived with the result until I was able to rectify it.

On my first Cunard trip I happened to catch our steward in the afternoon before formal dinner and I handed my black shoes to him and requested him to give them a "once over". He looked at me as though I was from another planet and announced that "We don't normally do that, but I will have a go." Regrettably I allowed him to do so and lived with the result until I was able to rectify it.

Capn' - was that in the Grills or somewhere less exalted? What exactly did the steward manage to do to the shoes?

J

Capn' - was that in the Grills or somewhere less exalted? What exactly did the steward manage to do to the shoes?

J

Noooo, it was steerage, I have never done a grill. He just relocated the dirt uniformly across the entirety of the shoe. I just assumed it was like a posh hotel. I know better now. :)

Noooo, it was steerage, I have never done a grill. He just relocated the dirt uniformly across the entirety of the shoe. I just assumed it was like a posh hotel. I know better now. :)

You surprise me, sir. I took you for natural Grill material :)

But I know exactly what you mean about the shoes. Polishing over the dirt could land one in serious bother in my former profession.

J

Shoe shine service went out with the elimination of the night "Hall Boy" who would respond to the light that used to flash outside your cabin should you wish to summon the steward when he was off duty.. I did notice that it has been added in as a benefit for booking a grill cabin. Large whoop for that inclusion!!

Archived