What is "Guaranteed"?

BAJDfromNJ

Doug,

I wish you luck on your HH Guarantee on the Statendam. I booked category H guarantees twice - once on the Ryndam for a B2B cruise out of Vancouver in July 2009 and once on the Volendam out of Sydney in January 2010. We were very happy with our room on the Ryndam - we received a category E room unobstructed in a decent location.

The cruise on the Volendam was another matter entirely. We received room G2500 all the way in the bow. According to HAL, this was an upgraded room. I can assure you, this room was a disaster and harmed our cruise a great deal. Take a look at IRL Joannie's web site (the sticky thread at the top of the HAL Board) and go to Volendam room G2500.

You could get a room like that on the Statendam. What we learned from our experience is not to book a guarantee if there is a room at a higher graded level that you will find unacceptable. We also believe HAL over-graded this room and have since switched over to Celebrity!

Thanks! I'm hoping for the best.

Doug

Reason #2: I just booked and paid for an AK cruise leaving Jun 5. By this late day, the cabin I wanted was on a Guarantee only basis. Too late for a choice of cabin.

Now, as there are only 2 cabins designated as BC in the entire ship, one directly across from the other on the same deck, chances are we'll get a B or higher.

Well, I ended up getting an "A" cat cabin one deck up, on the Navigation deck. Cabin is aft, a few doors down from the elevators and just under the Lido Deck pool area.

Archived