Nature Kayaking Tour (RCI) for first timer?

Ruth Cruise

Is the Key West Nature Kayaking Tour (RCI) suited for first time kayaking?

We never kayaked before and would like to know if the kayaking tours offered by the cruise lines cater to first timers?

Has anyone done this tour before and can you please tell me,

- if it is advisable to have previous experience in kayaking?

- if we can take our cameras (or will they get wet)?

- if we will see some wildlife like nurse sharks, tropical fish and manatees?

Thank you very much for your help!

Ruth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did this trip with Carnival last year. There were people from RCI with us. I did it with my mother who has always wanted to sea kayak and we both had a great time. This is definitely a trip suitable for first time kayakers although I have a lot of canoeing experience. The kayaks are open topped 2 person kayaks which are fairly difficult to tip. You are guided on a appx 1 1/2 hour trip through the mangroves. The guide gives a breif background into the coral reef/mangrove island ecosystem as well as pointing out all the local wild life. As far as the wild life goes, think more along the lines of up close with hermit crabs, baby fish, and birds. We did see a couple nurse sharks under the road bridge. The mangroves are a sheltered nursery for may species and our guide found starfish, sea cucumbers, and non-stinging jelly fish to pick up and pass around. As far as cameras, this is not a particularly wet excursion and my mother took her camera and it was fine. Although, if you are not careful it could get ruined so I would recommend putting it in a ziplock bag just in case.

HI! Key West is one of my favorite places in the WORLD. I HIGHLY recommend this trip (done both times through RCCL) While what kind of marine life you see depends on the time of year (there's no guarentees you'll see a manatee, they're pretty seasonal...) you will see marine life. The guides are EXCELLENT - stay close to them and you'll get to see some NEAT things. Between the two trips, I've held a conch, pet a jellyfish, "arm-walked" my way through a mangrove, paddled over a nurse shark, and seen some really great things! When we go back to Key West, we'll probably take the same trip for the THIRD time - it's just that good. My best friend even took it on her honeymoon through Carnival and had a blast. She's never been in a kayack before... ever... and I wasn't real good at it my first time but it was easy. It's not the kind of kayack you're "trapped" in so that makes it easier.

We took one of those disposable waterproof cameras and it worked fine. No worries about it getting wet. If you're REALLY careful, a regular camera won't get wet. I wouldn't want to worry about the camera, though. It rained on our second trip (this beautiful warm tropical rain that actually made the trip more enjoyable...) and although the rain didn't bother us, everything we owned, ourselves included got SOAKED! There's no place to "hide" it if a rainshower should sneak up. The pictures we got from the disposable waterproof cameras (they have them at WalMart now, I saw the other day) were very good, and we're PICKY about our pictures.

We've got friends down in Key West and have been there many times. We all agree that this tour doesn't get old! :D

Any information on who to go to that offers the Key West Nature Kayaking Tour if you don't find it offered from your ship. We will be in Key West on Sunday, March 29th from 7-2 and would be interested in info on this type tour if offered by vendors near the dock?? We've also considered just renting bikes and looking around that way since we won't be there so long. Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

Ruth Cruise,

You did'nt state how old you were. We took this tour 2 years ago and I liked to died before we got back. It wasn't bad going out but comming back we had to fight and I meen FIGHT the current. My wife and I, which are in our early 50s and even the younger people with us had trouble. I even saw big birds circling over head looking down on me. Don't know what they were but they looked hungry. If your in shape you shouldn't have any problem. We did see a lot of things.

Larry

Archived