Less Crowded Snorkeling/excursion

Reese1717

We were looking for an adventure (most likely snorkeling) that is going to be a little less crowded. It doesn't necessarily have to be a private tour, just at a placein St. Thomas that doesn't have people crawling all over each other. Any suggestions?

TIA

The day sail is the best place to find good snorkeling. You can snorkel off the beaches, but I doubt it will be great. I would also look at the message boards for St. Thomas and St. John. (there are many that aren't cruise related - and ask them as well if you are looking for St. Thomas beach based only).

You can ferry to St. John and go to the national underwater park, or you can daysail - I recommend the "Lou" at http://www.sailwithcaptainmax.com. We had some unique snorkel experiences with her and it was approximately $100 per person, and only six maximum go - so you aren't herded like cattle, and you still get a pristine experience.

For the money, I would definitely do a day sail. We have done both, and I prefer the day sail so much more. Good luck in whatever you do - just make sure you do it - it will be a highlight of your trip.

Mary

Last year my DH and I took the bus/taxi over to Coki beach on our own. The place was very uncrowded, pretty and with some fair snorkeling. They also have the Snuba there if you want to try that. Also you can check out Coral World which is right next door also.

We rented a couple chairs and brought our own masks/snorkels. The only problem I had was that I wasn't comfortable leaving things like a camera on the beach while we were snorkeling. There was a rental hut for dive and snorkel gear and the man running it offered to let us store our gear in a locked storage bin in his area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi:

Daysailed with Interline and Capt. Larry in St. Thomas on 2/23. I was glad to get them because I booked less than two weeks out and my first choice (s) were already booked.

Went out on the Forever Young and Captain Larry had a new mate for the day "Angie". Captain Larry is cool, and under the circumstances (we arrived in port 2 hrs late) made the best of a day sail that started pretty late (12:00pm).

Went to Caneel Bay (I don't swim much, and didn't have a vest so I stayed on board and stretched out with rum punch, very relaxing). My DB reported that the water was cold but clear and the fish swam side by side with him. Only wish I had was able to take dinghy to shore to lie on beach, but alas, we were under time constaints (plus, it was Angie's first day.) Larry was extremely informative, pointed out nearby Islands, and explained basics of sailing and his boat. DB fed his lunch to the fish and lots of them jumped up to dine "out". Spotted sea turtles and rays along the way.

Captain Larry was very attentive, always checking on me to see if I was "okay". Served us champagne and chocolates for my birthday in while we anchored in X-mas cove! Then we made a dash across the water back over to St. Thomas & outrunning a storm.

I'd say it was a great investment $110.00 U.S. p/p. If you don't get to sail often, do it, you won't regret it.

Hi! We booked a tour for buck island (sail & snorkel) It carries 6 or 8 people for the same reason your looking for. I wanted private & small because i have never snorkeled.. Unfortuantely our trip was cancelled due to engine trouble & we were stuck. We then booked the turtle cove sail & snorkel tour. It had about 40 people on it which made me a bit concerned but it was great fun. They take you to turtle cove/buck island & you can snorkel for about 1 1/2 hours. We had a blast! Even though there were 40 of us we were able to just go off a bit on our own & there wasn't many people around us. We suprizingly had a blast!:D And we saw tons of turtles, fish, coral & a barracuda! Noone was all over eachother & it was a nice private place to be.

Archived