is the pre-existing clause for us (cruisers) or parents (babysitters at home)

bhpeters

I can't figure out if we need the pre-existing condition coverage. My DH and I have no existing issues, but our parents do and they are watching our kids while we cruise for a week. If something happens to one of our parents and they can't watch the kids, we can't travel. In that case, would regular insurance cover it? Or would they say, "no, they have a pre-existing condition"

just so confused on insurance.

how does it typically work?

I can't figure out if we need the pre-existing condition coverage. My DH and I have no existing issues, but our parents do and they are watching our kids while we cruise for a week. If something happens to one of our parents and they can't watch the kids, we can't travel. In that case, would regular insurance cover it? Or would they say, "no, they have a pre-existing condition"

just so confused on insurance.

how does it typically work?

There's no set answer to this. Some plans apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members and some don't.

Find the plan's definition and see what it says. Here's from Travel Insured:

"34) "Pre-Existing Condition" means any Injury, Sickness or condition of You, a Traveling Companion or Your and/or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member for which . . ."

Here's from M.H. Ross:

""Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You, or Your Traveling Companion, or Your and/or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member traveling with You which . . ."

So with the second it only applies if the family member is traveling with you.

If in doubt call the insurer. To be extra safe be sure to meet the requirements to get the plan's waiver of the pre-ex exclusion.

If the sickness or death of somebody is listed as a covered cancellation reason (usually immediate family of everyone traveling), then the pre-ex exclusions cover them too.

Personally, I highly recommend that any policy you purchase include either a pre-ex waiver.

NOTE: The policies in general will NOT cover an illness or injury of your parents that is not life-threatening or does not require your assistance in their care. For instance, if your parents come down with the flu and are unable to care for your children, but it is not so severe they medically require your help, canceling because you now have no childcare would not be covered.

If you would be unable to make alternate arrangements for childcare in such a circumstance, and you want coverage for something like that, you'll want a Cancel for Any Reason rider.

SirWired

Archived