Our Magnifica Review

barbetal

As a result of lukewarm reviews our expectations were not high so we were not at all surprised by some of the differences. Here’s a recap of our experience on the 5/28 sailing.

1. Boarded smoothly at 1PM. They asked for our ticket and all we had was online registration form, as per travel agent’s instructions. At first it seemed a problem but turned out okay.

2. Pre-ordered bon voyage package for which I had faxed credit card info did not arrive, nor was I charged. No one on board seemed concerned or ready to supply it then.

3. At check in we were told we (just 2 of us) would be seated with like-speaking people. We were seated at table for 4 with German only speaking couple. Easily arranged for change of table at lunch next day and seated with 2 couples with children from England. Not only did they speak the same language but we thoroughly enjoyed their company.

4. Had read that elevators were a problem with people trying to get on while others trying to get off. Never had a problem. Plenty of elevators. Rarely had to wait because of a full one. Note that when returning to ship from port, you can board on deck 4 or 5. If you board on deck 4, there is a wait because elevator gets down to 5 and is full before it gets to 4.

5. Pool too cold for my Florida blood and way too many kids. No pool just for adults. Hot tubs filled with kids, except for 2 on the very top of ship, which also can be crowded.

6. On first day we asked cabin steward for ice in cabin when we returned from shore. Not delivered on second day. Asked again. Delivered on third day and we gave him a big thank you and 2 euros for his trouble. Apparently tipping doesn’t work. Never saw ice again without calling.

7. I have reported on various ports under the Ports of Call forums. However, did want to note that in Dubrovnik we walked just outside the port, got some local currency and took a local non-stop bus to old town for about $1 each. We ended our stay with a drink (2 glasses of wine for $20) at Hotel Excelsior overlooking bay and took a cab back (about $15).

8. Overall food was boring, which is hard to believe of Italian food. It was all very bland. Lean Cuisine has more zip. The one surprise was the fish, which I rarely order because it very often arrives dried out. Fish in restaurants and buffet was moist. Buffet lines were not as bad as posted. There are actually 4 stations, 2 on each side of the ship. If you go to the very back of the ship, there was never a line. However, the lines on the front stations were not that long.

9. Disembarkation was a breeze and well-organized. We had a 12:15 PM flight on Iberia and had arranged a driver to meet us to whisk us off to the airport. We were off ship (had asked for priority - no problem) at 9:20 AM, driver (Belt Limo) showed up at exactly 9:30 AM. MSC port personnel even called Belt for us since driver was not there when we got off ship. Tip for anyone rushing for 12:15 Iberia flight - they do not even open their check in lines until 10:15. We were at airport ½ hour before we could even check in. Venice airport a zoo. About an hour wait to check in and another hour to get through security. No wonder most planes leave Venice late.

Overall, we had a good time, better than expected. Would we go with MSC again? Given the choice of some other ship with same itinerary at same cost, we’d go with the other. If MSC was $200 pp cheaper, we go with them and spend the $400 saved at the spa.

We have read the same negative reviews about Poesia yet the itinerary is so good and the price is cheaper than our normal cruiseline that we are not expecting much and are going for the ports. Where did your cruise go? Did you look at the laundry prices? We are use to having a self-serve laundry on Princess and now with a 13 day cruise we will have to have laundry done on the ship. What other cruiselines have you been on?

CruisnAgain, we were Venice to Venice by way of Turkey. Did not do any laundry on 7 day cruise. Fortunately weather not that hot so shirts and shorts could be worn more than once. They had small clothes line in shower which did get used. We've been on Carnival, NCL, RC, and Princess. I think that's all. MSC not as awful as some feel, but certainly a step down from previous cruises.

Thanks for the review. It's interesting to read the style and commentary of another 'middle of the road-er' review. Mine was like minded. MSC has its fans, and it has 'at least' its share of over the top complainants. I'm pretty much like you; I'd cruise them again - but they'd need to have the pull of a price or intinerary benefit.

Archived