Ybor City (Tampa) Hampton Inn review

Biffer1997

I didn't get any pictures of the hotel, but was very impressed by the hotel, what it had to offer and the price. Stayed there Sat. night June 12th prior to our sailing on the Carnival Legend the next day. Found an internet rate pre-pay rate a week before for $75 for a night. Room had two queen beds, bathroom, fridge, microwave, coffee pot, alarm clock.

The breakfast area was huge--it also had a little seating area near the breakfast area with a couch, loveseat, and a couple chairs. Also a computer station with 2 computers, a printer, and a caddy with pens and paper. We took a taxi from the airport ($25 flat rate), checked in, went to our room (which was impressive as it was only around 1pm when we got there). We picked up a Ybor City map and headed out to walk to Spaghetti Warehouse. There is a website that has coupons to to Ybor City and Tampa eateries, etc. www.discoverintown.com We went back to hotel room and stored our leftovers in the fridge (also has a microwave) and napped while the girls went to the pool--also has a small gym. Around 6pm we went over a block or so behind the hotel and bought our streetcar passes ($2.50 one way or an all day pass for $5 for adult--1/2 of each for kids) and rode the streetcar (enclosed and airconditioned) down to Channelside area. Didn't see any reason to get off, so we stayed on board and rode back to Centro City Ybor City where we explored the shops for a couple hours. Bought our 6 packs of water at a market in Centro City (cost about $4.50 for a 6 pack). Got back on the trolley and right off near our hotel. Next morning, we were able to see the Legend's Whale Tail from our room. Went downstairs, had the complimentary breakfast, and scheduled our ride on the complimentary shuttle to the port. I advise you to do this early as some people we were sitting with at breakfast got stuck with a later time because they didn't schedule until I said something to them. The breakfast had hot foods and continental items. Scheduled to leave at 10:45 and we were at the port by 11am. Porters' unloaded our bags from the van, so make sure you have your tags on them already.

We were fine just riding the trolley around to the shops. You can also ride the trolley down to Channelside and look at the shops there too. There is a movie theater at Ybor Centro, and we spent alot of time at Urban Outfitters. I don't know what there is to do in Westshore, so I can't compare to Ybor but we were able to amuse ourselves (and more importantly the teenagers) for a few hours.

Archived