High wind and rough seas in July

I just read on another thread that the Maasdam had to skip two ports (PEI and Sydney) because of high wind and seas were rough. Has anyone else experienced this in the summer months , Was wondering if the seas are rough all the time . I surely would not want to miss any ports. Will be on the Maasdam in July. Thanks

I just read on another thread that the Maasdam had to skip two ports (PEI and Sydney) because of high wind and seas were rough. Has anyone else experienced this in the summer months , Was wondering if the seas are rough all the time . I surely would not want to miss any ports. Will be on the Maasdam in July. Thanks

No, the seas are not rough all the time. I don't know how often ships are unable to dock in these ports but I would guess it's no more then any port in the Caribbean. It's not something that can be predicted with any certainty at a time when you book your cruise. Even the day before a high wind arrives the predictions are generally only given as a percentage possibility. The weather here is quite changeable it sure makes life interesting!

No, the seas are not rough all the time. I don't know how often ships are unable to dock in these ports but I would guess it's no more then any port in the Caribbean. It's not something that can be predicted with any certainty at a time when you book your cruise. Even the day before a high wind arrives the predictions are generally only given as a percentage possibility. The weather here is quite changeable it sure makes life interesting!

Thank you for your reply, I have reserved rental cars for Charlottetown and Halifax, would be so disappointed if I wasn't able to get off the ship in those ports. It's such a port intense cruise only one sea day, which I felt was great. In Charlottetown I wanted to take pictures of all the lighthouses I could find.

If I were able to predict where and when high wind/seas would be, do you really think I wouldn't be rich enough to have my own yacht, and not use a cruise line?

If I were able to predict where and when high wind/seas would be, do you really think I wouldn't be rich enough to have my own yacht, and not use a cruise line?

Scottbee, I was looking for someones experience. not predection. We might have wonderful weather.

Thank you for your reply, I have reserved rental cars for Charlottetown and Halifax, would be so disappointed if I wasn't able to get off the ship in those ports. It's such a port intense cruise only one sea day, which I felt was great. In Charlottetown I wanted to take pictures of all the lighthouses I could find.

I would hazard a guess that there are probably more days where they get to dock, otherwise they wouldn't stop at these ports, lets hope you're in the better percentage. The Charlottetown cruise dock in on a river so you're not apt to have the rough seas of an ocean port.

Since you're doing a lighthouse tour, if you haven't already, you might want to check out the PEI coastal drives http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-touring-regions If you check out the detailed maps for each "Drive", you will see the lighthouses marked. Enjoy your trip.

I would hazard a guess that there are probably more days where they get to dock, otherwise they wouldn't stop at these ports, lets hope you're in the better percentage. The Charlottetown cruise dock in on a river so you're not apt to have the rough seas of an ocean port.

Since you're doing a lighthouse tour, if you haven't already, you might want to check out the PEI coastal drives http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-touring-regions If you check out the detailed maps for each "Drive", you will see the lighthouses marked. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you for the encouragement. Like I said, I will be renting a car heading towards Ann of Green Gables, but want to see how many lighthouses on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

We just took a New England cruise out of Baltimore on Enchantment of the Seas at the end of June. There were more waves in the retention ponds in my neighborhood then there were in the ocean for most of our trip. I could not believe how calm the water was and I live two miles from the ocean in South Carolina. Two or three of the days is was literally like glass. Hopefully you will get the same!! You will love Halifax.

We just took a New England cruise out of Baltimore on Enchantment of the Seas at the end of June. There were more waves in the retention ponds in my neighborhood then there were in the ocean for most of our trip. I could not believe how calm the water was and I live two miles from the ocean in South Carolina. Two or three of the days is was literally like glass. Hopefully you will get the same!! You will love Halifax.

Thanks Warrior, I hope to enjoy my entire journey on the Maasdam.

Archived