Getting around Juneau without alot of backtracking

Middle Aged and Happy

I have been to Juneau once and while there did the ziplining and visited Mendenhall glacier. I did not do any of the trails at Mendenhall as it was raining a lot. Quite frankly the glacier visit felt like a moment in the Chevy Chase's Vacation movie to the Grand Canyon so I'd like to give it another shot and actually do some hiking and get close.

I will be in Juneau for two days (two separate days due to B2B cruise) and want to make the most of it but want to control costs and see as much as possible. On day one I have Harv and Marv scheduled at 9:00 am. After that, I am hoping to do the following over the two day period: 1) Visit the Alaskan Brewery 2) Visit the Alaska State Museum 3) Walk the trail to Mount Roberts 4) Visit Mendenhall and walk the new trail to the falls and/or the East Glacier loop 5) Walk to Last Chance Mine via the flume trail.

Now, here are the questions:

1) Are all these worth doing?

2) What order makes the most sense as I want to make the most of my time

3) Can the top of Mt. Roberts be accessed via an automobile and if so could H&M drop me off there instead of town allowing me only to walk down rather than up

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have been to Juneau once and while there did the ziplining and visited Mendenhall glacier. I did not do any of the trails at Mendenhall as it was raining a lot. Quite frankly the glacier visit felt like a moment in the Chevy Chase's Vacation movie to the Grand Canyon so I'd like to give it another shot and actually do some hiking and get close.

I will be in Juneau for two days (two separate days due to B2B cruise) and want to make the most of it but want to control costs and see as much as possible. On day one I have Harv and Marv scheduled at 9:00 am. After that, I am hoping to do the following over the two day period: 1) Visit the Alaskan Brewery 2) Visit the Alaska State Museum 3) Walk the trail to Mount Roberts 4) Visit Mendenhall and walk the new trail to the falls and/or the East Glacier loop 5) Walk to Last Chance Mine via the flume trail.

3) Can the top of Mt. Roberts be accessed via an automobile and if so could H&M drop me off there instead of town allowing me only to walk down rather than up

1. All are worth doing-

2. I would have Harv & Marv- drop you at Glacier after your whale watching (understand they do that)- and you can either take a shuttle from there downtown- or walk the 1+ mile- to the city bus and return to town.

3. No road to Mt. Roberts- The tram is the way to get to the top- and you can hike around and take the tram back down- or- hike down.

4. Sites around town- you can do via walking- nothing is very far.

Have a great trip-

I'd suggest renting a car one of your stops so that you can visit all your wish list efficiently.

1. The Brewery is between the glacier and town.

2. I'd do the falls trail if you want views of the glacier. There's limited views from the East and West Glacier trails.

3. The Flume Trail goes in the opposite direction from the Last Chance Mine. There's wonderful hiking up off of Basin Road like the flume trail and seeing the mine, but it's best to drive up there rather than hike up the very steep streets, which will exhaust you right out the gates.

4. You could drive to the Mt. Roberts trailhead, but then you'd need to climb the steep street to retrieve your car.

5. The museum is great but also within walking distance of the docks, and the tram is too, so perhaps do those two things on the day you go whale watching.

Thank you for all your thoughts. Based on your input, I am planning:

Day #1 - Whale Watching with H&M followed by either a hike up the Mount Roberts Trail or alternatively a hike on Perseverance Trail. Which trail would you recommend? Following that, a trip to the Alaska State Museum and closing the day with a beer at the Red Dog Saloon and some shopping.

Day #2 - Rent a car at Rent a Wreck. Drive to Mendenhall and hike the falls trail. Drive to Macaulay Salmon Hatchery and tour there. Visit the Alaska Brewery. Drive to St Teresa Shrine and look around. End the day with visiting Last Chance Mine Museum and touring the underground mine.

Thank you for all your thoughts. Based on your input, I am planning:

Day #1 - Whale Watching with H&M followed by either a hike up the Mount Roberts Trail or alternatively a hike on Perseverance Trail. Which trail would you recommend? Following that, a trip to the Alaska State Museum and closing the day with a beer at the Red Dog Saloon and some shopping.

The Perseverance Trailhead is up by the Last Chance Mine. It's a long, steep walk to get there, and then the first part of the trail is straight up. I recommend the trail when you have a car. Don't miss going off the trail to view Ebner Falls.

The Mt. Roberts trail is straight uphill for that matter too. After climbing straight up some city blocks. If you take the tram up, you can access trails up there to hike. It's $27 PP though.

Archived