What is the earliest you can arrive at the dock in NY to board?

I'm leaving on the 24th of July on the Jewel out of NY and we'll be taking a cab to the port. Since we have a 10-month old with us we are trying to get there when it won't be so crowded or have long lines since it is a summer cruise. We want to get onboard early so my nephew who is ten can go in the pool and enjoy the slide before the pool area gets crowded.

What is the earliest that anyone has arrived at the port? What is the earliest that they let anyone onboard?

We are about 40 minutes away by cab - light traffic.

Thanks for the info. I wish I was leaving tomorrow.

We've gotten there are 10:30 and have waited until 11 or so to board. It all depends on the length of time it takes customs to OK debarking and how long they take to see everyone. The cruise lines are really at their mercy.

I'd also check the ship's webcam to make sure it's here. We had a Carnival ship delayed by a medical emergency.

You may also want to keep in mind if Carnival, the Dawn or any other ship is in port that day. That will make things much more difficult as in thousands of people leaving and thousands coming.

Personally it's really kind of a luck thing, you just happen to get there at the right time.

I'm seeing on the boards here that the pools are VERY crowded. You are also going at peak travel season for cruises and there will be many more families like yourself boarding. I do see a lot of folks heading right for the food when boarding so you may get a quick opportunity with your nephew to get him in the pool right away. Just don't forget to pack the swim trunks in your carry on as you won't see your luggage for a bit.

Hope these little tidbits help.

Kathy

I'm leaving on the 24th of July on the Jewel out of NY and we'll be taking a cab to the port. Since we have a 10-month old with us we are trying to get there when it won't be so crowded or have long lines since it is a summer cruise. We want to get onboard early so my nephew who is ten can go in the pool and enjoy the slide before the pool area gets crowded.

What is the earliest that anyone has arrived at the port? What is the earliest that they let anyone onboard?

We typically arrive around 9 - 9:30 and are among the first few in line....actually they have chairs for the first 50 or so arrivals. We prefer waiting at the pier, rather than in a hotel room.

Most of the time they don't start boarding until about noon, and the cabins won't be ready until 2 (So wear the swimsuits, or pack in the carry on bag).

I like getting there early and just check in and wait. I live in NJ and we normally get to the port by 10am. By 11:30am - 12 noon were normally on board. Unless the ship is late for arrival that is the normal time you can be on board by. I've never been on board earlier than that.

We're leaving our house around 7am that morning to drive to the port. We're about 2 1/2 hours away. My DH wants to drop off our luggage and then walk around NY for a while to check things out. Can you drop the luggage off that early? (say 9:00-9:30)

We left NY last Saturday on the Jewel, which was the only ship in the pier that day. We arrived in customs at 10:30, were through checking luggage and getting passports screened / key cards issued by 11, and were boarding by 11:30. If you are a past customer for NCL, you can receive an earlier boarding number, which helped us get on the ship quickly and easily.

We're leaving our house around 7am that morning to drive to the port. We're about 2 1/2 hours away. My DH wants to drop off our luggage and then walk around NY for a while to check things out. Can you drop the luggage off that early? (say 9:00-9:30)

No worries. We've sailed out of NYC 5 times. And, except for the first time, we have always arrived around 9:30, dropped luggage, and headed into the terminal. We typically board around 11:30 or so.

We have dropped off luggage at 9AM without a problem.

The Intrepid is very close to the pier and a great place to spend a few hours.

Archived