Can we get help from the ship to the bus

jeanarch

HDawson or anyone with suggestions....I have been both to Progresso & Merida several times and have always found interesting things to do. However, my sister & Hubby are going to take their first cruise in Nov and she has mobility problems. Hip replacement & osteoarthrits...I don' think she will require a wheelchair as she does well with a walker (for short distances) and hopefully by that time a cane. My question is this...I don't remember how we could get her from the ship to the free bus into town..Would we be able to get a wheelchair from the ship or should we take our own. I know in Cozumel the young fellows have the bike chariots. Don't remember seeing them in Progresso. I think that when we get to town she could get to the $3 bus for a short tour around town. I think we have ruled out any ruins because of her mobility problems...lots of walking & stairs at the ruins...so it may be that our only choices will be the town itself and the little tour around town. Lunch & then back to the ship...If there are any suggestions please suggest...

Not being a cruiser, I am not sure I understand which bus you are talking about. If its the bus into Progreso, which is a free shuttle from the ship, then I suspect the ship people will help you with that.

Wheelchairing around Progreso should not be a problem if you were to bring one from the ship (if they will let you). It's not the most wheelchair friendly place in the world, but it can be done.

Hope this helps! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Carnival should have a wheelchair she could borrow from the ship to the security gate that would save a little walking. There are some benches on the way to the bus where she can sit and rest, and perhaps hit a restroom before the ride into town. With my Mother, the bus driver was very helpful with getting her into the bus and on the return trip, helping get her out.

In our case, my sister and nieces piddled so much shopping at the port before the ride into town that our Mom was worn out by the time we got to town. She and I stayed on the bus, rode back to the ship and I got her back to her cabin. It was at the security check on the way back to the ship that I noticed a wheel chair that she could have used for that part of the journey.

For the Progreso tour bus, the best view are from upstairs, which is, of course, upstairs and in the sun. The views from downstairs might not be bad.

If you have access to a chair, and want to explore Merida, I do know that the intersections in central Merida's historical zone have intersection chair ramps and within the zone many of the sidewalks are plenty wide to accomodate chairs. Suggest a cab direct to ex centro. (about $25) Also plenty of benches in the many parks/plazas. I don't recall seeing any chair lifts on the intercity busses.

thanks to all for the info we are looking into Uxmal but I am concerned about the distance from the tour van to the actual site. She uses a rollator and in all of the photos th could this work.e ground looks pretty level. She also has a seat on the rollator to sit & rest on.

I would not recommend Uxmal for those with serious mobility issues. I've been there twice and still haven't gone up to the upper level. Lotswalking and no sidewalks. I've had a total hip replacement and a heart that saps me of energy. Good luck. Looking forward to a day in Merida in just three weeks.

Zyde. As usual, your pics are just stunning. Brought back good memories. Wish I had taken a pic of the cistern.

Jean. Note pic 20 or 21 to see the entry into the ruins and the incline with steps going up. I'm kind of thinking your Rolator is the same as my walker. Four wheeled, foldup, with a seat and brake handles on the handlebars. Non powered.

Good luck with your decision.

Archived