Help! We need your help choosing a snorkeling excursion in Roatan!

allisons

HELP! We need your help choosing a snorkeling excursion in Roatan! Here are the options we're considering. (We've ruled out Maya Key, Foster's West Bay Resort, etc.) We're also open to other options that we haven't discovered in our research. The last time we were in Roatan, we snorkeled from the beach at Bananarama, and we were extremely disappointed that it did not meet our expections or mirror our amazing snorkeling experience in Belize. Our main concern is the quality and quantity of the snorkeling. Our secondary concerns are beach, resort, lunch, transportation included, etc. The standard that we are using to compare this to is our superb snorkeling excursion with Coral Breezes in Belize to the barrier reef and to shark ray alley. Thank you so much! We really appreciate your input!

Thanks,

Allison & Ryan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION #1:

Roatan Cruise Excursions

http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/

ROATAN SHIP WRECK SNORKELING AND BEACH BREAK

Our Roatan Shipwreck Snorkeling tour takes you on a great coastal boating adventure for up up to twelve passengers. This excursion is available on a per person basis or may be privately chartered for up to 12 passengers. Offering incomparable wreck snorkeling, fun fishing,great sightseeing and a relaxing stop at a gorgeous beach club and restaurant, its an ideal way to spend your day with family and friends.

Our Snorkeling Adventure departs from West End, a picturesque village protected by a coral reef and aquamarine waters. You will board a spacious and powerful boat, complete with snorkel gear, coolers and includes beers, drinks, and snacks.

Relax and enjoy the spectacular scenery on route to the first snorkeling site, the famous Blue Channel. Jump into the crystal clear water and snorkel on this pristine coral reef. Here you will see spectacular coral formation and schools of brightly colored tropical fish at this tranquil location.

Then its back onboard, and through the lush mangroves to the shallow wreck of a sunken freighter. This 110yr old ship is now a quiet, coral covered sanctuary that offers truly outstanding shallow snorkeling, beautiful coral, and multitudes of tropical fish.

Our next stop is chic beach club located on a secluded beach well away from the crowds. Explore the pristine beach or take advantage of our pre-booked Shipwreck lunch package. You will sit in beautiful surroundings under the palm trees, for a waiter service lunch and drinks overlooking a white powder sand beach.

After your beach stop, its back onboard, and if you choose to, you can make a brief stop en route, for a little fun family fishing, always a sure way to bring a smile to the little ones faces! (Please just ask your Skipper). You then disembark at West End, and will have the option for some time to souvenir shop and explore this lovely location before returning to your cruise ship

Snorkeling Tour Rates:

$69 US

Adults

Includes:

5 hour excursion

Round Trip Transfer from the Cruise Ship Dock

Snorkel Gear and Life Jackets

Onboard Local Beers, Soft Drinks, and Snacks

2 Snorkel Stops and 1 Beach Stop

Fun Family Fishing (Optional)

OPTIONAL Beach Club Lunch & Drinks Package (add $20 adults)*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION #2:

Bay Island Beach Resort

http://www.bibr.com/

Cruise Ship Day Packages:

Boat Snorkelers

$55 per person plus 12% taxes plus $10 tips. Includes transportation back to the ship

Two boat snorkels on Roatan's spectacular reef

Enjoy lunch on the beach in Deep Ted's Bar & Grille

Relax in the hammocks

Includes transportation from the resort to the ship

Snorkeling gear rental available. Scroll down to see rental rates.

Beach Snorkeler

• $45 per person plus 12% taxes plus $10 tips. Includes transportation back to the ship

Unlimited self-guided snorkeling on the buoyed snorkel trail

Enjoy lunch on the beach in Deep Ted's Bar & Grille

Relax in the hammocks, tour the grounds, explore the hiking trails

Includes transportation from the resort to the ship

Snorkel gear rental available.

Optional guided beach snorkel: add on $10

Sea Window Personal Snorkeling Raft Rentals

These rafts offer a unique opportunity for people to enjoy all of the underwater beauty of the reef without snorkeling. Specialized view ports give the swimmer a clear view underwater, just like a mask! We have two styles available- the full raft or just the viewer. The viewer can be used standing or swimming.

Raft Rental $5 per hour $12 per day

Raft w/ Fins $8 per hour $15 per day

Viewer Rental $3 per hour $9 per day

Viewer w/ Fins $6 per hour $12 per day

Viewer w/ Fins & Vest $10 per hour $16 per day

OPTION #3:

Subway Watersports

http://www.subwaywatersports.com/

Boat Snorkeling on Roatan's spectacular reef

We have two dive shops on Roatan and will take you to the one that has the most availability on the day of your visit. Both shops have spectacular pristine snorkeling sites with an amazing variety of corral and reef fish only a short boat ride away. We will take you by boat to two snorkel sites for one hour each. Between the two sites you will have the chance to come back to our shop for a break and to use the restroom.

We charge US$ 60 per person for the snorkeling from a boat including bus transport from and to the Roatan cruise ship dock.

Snorkeling equipment rental is US$ 7 for the day.

OPTION #4:

Roatan Shore Excursions

http://www.roatanshoreexcursions.com/

Palmetto Bay Ship Wreck Snorkel Price - $100.00

Prefect for cruise ship passengers! Free Transportation included from anywhere on the Island.

For a different kind of snorkel adventure, take this Ship Wreck snorkeling tour. Snorkel over a ship wreck and see the variety of sea life – this area is well known for lobster, sea turtles and the non-aggressive nurse shark.

Experience first-hand the stunning aquatic beauty of the Mesoamerica Barrier Reef in the pristine waters off Roatan. The reef system of Roatan is literally bursting with marine life. Roughly 80 percent the marine life found in the Caribbean can be found in the waters surrounding the island. With our fun-filled snorkeling tour, you'll be treated to underwater sights that can't be seen anywhere else.

The Roatan coral reef system (protected within the Honduran National Marine Reserve) offers some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. Experts have long considered the reef around Roatan to be at the center of the most impressive stretch of the 400-mile long Mesoamerica Reef.

Other sea creatures that call this area home include dolphins, conch, grouper, snapper, bonefish, tarpon, permit fish, seahorses, wrasse blennies, sail fin blennies, octopus, eagle rays, and the largest fish in the sea, the gentle whale shark.

If you are looking for an exhilarating and memorable snorkel adventure while visiting Roatan, this is for you.

Equipment is not provided for this tour, but is available for an additional cost if you don’t have your own. Please let us know your shoe size.

Thank you so much! We really appreciate your input!

Thanks,

Allison & Ryan

You might check out Upachaya Resort. They have a snorkel trip that we were interested in but they were booked 5 or 6 weeks in advance. I've seen good reviews and will probably book with them when and if we go back to Roatan.

You also might want to consider Anthony's Key Resort. They go out for 2+ hours at 10:30 and 2:30 for guests at no charge but accomodate paying guests. They have a number of nice spots to take you to. I saw a cruiser give the Captain $10 when he boarded and said he was a paying guest and wanted to go to the best spots, they go to 2 spots for 30-40 minutes each, and they were quite pleased with their experience. You may have to arrage your own taxi but I'm not sure about that, But for the extra $25-$30 you will get in some very good snorkeling.

clackey,

Thank you! We looked at Upachaya. Most of the reviews were excellent. I read a couple of reviews about their snorkeling spots being scary shallow. One report even detailed a child getting a bad cut from the coral because it was so shallow. That makes me very nervous. We're avid snorkelers, and my husband loves shallow snorkeling because of his vision, but I don't like shallow snorkeling at all--it freaks me out! So no Upachaya for us.

Thanks,

Allison

HarryTravels,

Thank you! We've already ruled out Anthoney's Key Resort, but now I don't remember why. I think maybe because it's a cruise ship excursion, rather than private. Is that right?

Thanks,

Allison

HarryTravels,

Thank you! We've already ruled out Anthoney's Key Resort, but now I don't remember why. I think maybe because it's a cruise ship excursion, rather than private. Is that right?

Thanks,

Allison

It was in Y2007. Anthony's is a first class dive/snorkel operator. It is NOT a typical ship's cattle call.

The boats are relatively small and not at all crowded. The guides were outstanding. Contact them and ask about your scheduled date.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html

Click on the left hand image the ninth row for a picture of their dive boats at the dock.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/modules/photo_gallery/category/Beach+and+Scenic+views

Stevesan,

Thank you! That is good to know. Maybe we'll consider it. We never book cruise ship excursions, always private. It's not just the overcrowding issue, but also a matter of principle of wanting to give our money to local businesses rather than the cruiseline.

Thanks,

Allison

I agree to give to local firms. I cannot compare Anthony's Key to the others mentioned but we have returned 3 times in 10 years plus going to Turneffe Island Lodge in Belize twice. The thing I liked was 2 knowledgeable people on a boat that takes 20 but Never was there more than 6 people and we went out at least once if not twice a day for the weeks we were there.

HarryTravels,

I called them and asked if we could come there on our own, not through the cruiseline, but they said no. I think they're connected to Maya Key, the old Fins n' Flippers, which is cruiseline only.

Thanks,

Allison

clackey,

Thank you! We looked at Upachaya. Most of the reviews were excellent. I read a couple of reviews about their snorkeling spots being scary shallow. One report even detailed a child getting a bad cut from the coral because it was so shallow. That makes me very nervous. We're avid snorkelers, and my husband loves shallow snorkeling because of his vision, but I don't like shallow snorkeling at all--it freaks me out! So no Upachaya for us.

Thanks,

Allison

If you don't like shallow water you should shy away from Tabyana Beach too. You could wade to the reef.

If you don't like shallow water you should shy away from Tabyana Beach too. You could wade to the reef.

Is it safe to say Tabyana beach is the number 1 spot in Roatan? (for shore snorkeling).

I'd be interested.... but the only negative I've heard was that one person reported guys on surf boards not letting people go out too far. Is there some kind of lifeguard?

There is nothing worse for someone who has a lot of diving experience, then showing-up at a site that has been roped off for beginners.

Is Tabyana offered as a ships tour? I was just going to take a taxi and do it myself.

Is it safe to say Tabyana beach is the number 1 spot in Roatan? (for shore snorkeling).

I'd be interested.... but the only negative I've heard was that one person reported guys on surf boards not letting people go out too far. Is there some kind of lifeguard?

There is nothing worse for someone who has a lot of diving experience, then showing-up at a site that has been roped off for beginners.

Is Tabyana offered as a ships tour? I was just going to take a taxi and do it myself.

I haven't been there in a while, but I suspect it's because of the wall. It's a couple hundred yards from shore. Maybe one or more snorkelers encountered difficulty there. When I was at Tabyana, the guide took us to the wall. There was a cathedral-like light show at the wall then. Excellent! :D

If you do go to Tabyana you might consider booking it thru the ship. They run a convenient R/T shuttle throughout the day.

Tabyana was my best shore snorkel, even better than Curacao which was really good. But the boat snorkel was better, so I'm gonna do that again.

Best snorkeling from the beach EVER is at Tabyana. There are several lifeguards with life preservers in kyaks that are out between the shallow reef and wall, and they leave you alone.....I have heard them tell people to please be careful and not touch or step on the coral if they were in a shallow area, which is appropriate. You will not regret going to Tabyana!!

This resort closed down at the being of this year .

We loved it When we were there had the place to ourselves spent 4 hrs out snorkeling When we booked our cruise this comming DEC. It was mainly to use BIBR again

Paul

• 1 month later...

Archived