first time -- where to sail? and what else to do?

sailandcruise

We are scheduled to be in Bermuda docking at Kings Wharf on the Enchantment of the Seas from 10 am on Monday October 4 through 2 pm Tuesday October 5. I have located three places that rent small sailboats (sunfish or hobies): (1) Blue Hole Watersports at Grotto Bay Beach Hotel, (2) Pompano Beach Club, and (3) H2O Sports at Cambridge Beaches Resort and Spa. Since it's our first trip to Bermuda, we'd like to take full advantage of our time there -- we can relax on the sea days. I'm trying to figure out what our best plan is. I'll most likely buy the bus/ferry pass so we can travel to multiple sites. In addition to sailing, we would like some time on the pink sand beaches and to explore a reasonable amount of the island(s). We tend not to be very interested in just going to museums or shopping, but we do like walking around both in natural areas and towns.

Option 1 would be to sail at either Pompano Beach Club or H2O Sports right after we arrive, continue on to Horseshoe Bay Beach, perhaps walking as far as Warwick Long Bay, then continue on to Hamilton and return by ferry. On day 2 we could do ship's tours such as the Railway Trail Bike or the Reef or Deep Sea fishing.

Option 2 could be to take the ferry to St. George, sail at Blue Hole Watersports, continue on to Hamilton, and return either by bus or ferry to the ship. On day 2 we could take one of the ship's tours as above, or perhaps take the bus to Horseshoe and/or Warwick Long Bay, although we'd have to watch the clock carefully. Or we could rent a small motorboat near Kings Wharf.

Option 3 might be a ferry to St. George, returning via Hamilton and the beaches on Monday, and then sailing at either Pompano or Cambridge on Tuesday morning.

With any option we would likely stop at various places of interest along the way as time allowed.

Many questions: Has anyone rented a small sailboat from either of these three locations? Which area would have better sailing? Which would have more things to do on land in case my wife doesn't feel like sailing with me? Is it worthwhile to try to go as far as St. George or is that too ambitious? How is the bike ride, especially now after the seasonal closure of 9 Beaches Resort? What sights are worth seeing along the way? Which bus routes should we use to best balance seeing more of the island with being able to fit in everything? Would we be able to get back to the ship on time if we take the bus on day 2 to Horseshoe and/or Warwick Bay?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

Since no one has provided an answer, I will try to answer any that I can.

I would suggest going with OPTION 3:

..... a ferry to St. George, returning via Hamilton and the beaches on Monday, and then sailing at either Pompano or Cambridge on Tuesday morning......

There is a walking tour of St George’s which is a World Heritage Site; then take the jitney to Tobacco Bay and walk from there to Fort St Catherine; walk from there to Fort Alexandra for sea glass but getting sea glass now would mean hauling it around for the rest of the day

On your way to Hamilton, visit the caves (bus routes #1,3,10or11) and/or Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo (BAMZ) (bus routes #10or11); and depending what bus you take when leaving the caves, you could visit the Botanical Gardens (bus route #1). In Hamilton, visit Fort Hamilton which is easier to get to from the bus terminal; also, you could visit the Bermuda Cathedral on Church St and climb the bell tower for views.

Take a route #7 bus from the bus terminal to go to Horseshoe Beach. Also near HSB is Gibb’s lighthouse which can be climbed. While at HSB, there are paths at the far end of the beach that connect these beaches: Horseshoe Bay, Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove , and Warwick Long Bay.

Take a #7 (out bound) bus from HSB to the Dockyards. Travel time is about 35 minutes less waiting time.

For day 2, you could tour the Dockyards, visit Fort Scaur, collect sea glass close to the Dockyards, return to HSB, and/or go sailing (all route #7 bus inbound)

This is all I can answer.

JMHO. I love to sail. Some of the best times I have had were on my sailboat. But you are visiting Bermuda with a limited amount of time, don’t occupy your time with sailing which can be done just about anywhere when there are so many other things you could be doing. JMHO

When using the bus, bus stops are indicated by either pink or blue poles. Buses are either outbound from Hamilton or inbound to Hamilton. A pink pole stop would be a stop for a bus inbound to Hamilton; a blue pole stop would be a stop for a bus outbound from Hamilton. A mnemonic for this is: BOB is your friend (Blue Out Bound).

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

SBtS, Thanks for your advice.

I think I'm leaning towards option 2. I like to sail in as many different places as I can and see the sights from the water, so I'm willing to give up seeing some of the local sights for that opportunity. Here's my current approximate plan. Comments and suggestions are eagerly sought.

Monday arrive at Dockyards at 10am. Buy 2-day ferry/bus pass. Take 1045 ferry to St. George's, arriving around 1130. Spend about 2 hours there, then take the bus to Grotto Bay Resort (routes 1,3, 10, 11 all seem to go there; it takes about 18 minutes). Rent a sunfish for an hour or two. My wife may sit on the beach with a book or explore the nearby caves or nature reserve. By then it will be around 3 or 4 pm. Perhaps stop nearby at the Swizzle Inn for a drink and/or snack. Then take the bus to Hamilton and walk around the city. Take the 6 or 730 pm ferry back to the Dockyards.

On Tuesday take the earliest number 7 bus from the Dockyards to Horseshoe Bay; I think it leaves at 820. Stay there for about two hours until 11 or so. Perhaps walk the trail to Warwick Long Bay. Take the bus back to the Dockyards and spend any remaining time looking around there. Or if I'm daring and sure I won't miss the ship, perhaps stop for a bit in the town of Somerset.

Does this sound feasible? Is there a risk of missing the ship if the busses are too crowded returning from Horseshoe Bay? Anything else I should consider?

According to the port schedule for the Dockyard, Enchantment of the Seas will be the only cruise ship there for 10/4-5. The Veendam visits on 10/5 but they will be anchored off St George. So I don't see bus crowding to be a problem plus extra beach buses are usually run when a cruise ship is at the Dockyard.

I think your plan is doable.

The only thing else to consider is slowwwwing down to enjoy Bermuda. The short RCI cruises do not allow you enough time; but gives you a good reason to cruise to Bermuda again on a 7 day cruise :D.

SBtS

SBtS,

Thanks very much for checking the port schedule for us.

Seven days would be nice but it's even nicer to sail from Baltimore so we can drive to the port. We'll just have to do this cruise again (and again). :D

We view the vacation as the full trip including the sea days so we will have lots of down time -- the two sea days, and the afternoon after we depart Bermuda. Bermuda will be a nice place to visit as part of the cruise, not the destination that the cruise transports us to. We don't feel obligated to do shipboard activities unless we feel like it. We're not trying to see and do everything, but we do want to get a feel for the whole island and do the few things that we really enjoy. Nevertheless, your point is well taken -- we don't want to rush around and worry about making connections and keeping a schedule.

We're OK not going to Tobacco Bay and the forts, we don't need to see the Botanical Gardens or Aquarium Museum or Zoo, we don't need to go to the lighthouses, nor do we need to collect sea glass. We just enjoy walking around the towns, natural areas, and beaches.

Archived