Which company for everglades tour?

judyf

I need some help from the locals or experts that have been to the Everglades.

I've been searching a tour for Easter Sunday 3/27 after we get off the Legend to the Everglades. We are staying that night in a hotel so time is not an issue.

I've found two places.

1) Sawgrass Rec. Park, suggested here on the board. It's $20.00 pp for an airboat tour and I think to see some of the grounds. Not clear what's included in the price.

2) A day package at Billie Swamp Safari Park for $46.00 pp for the "big" package. It's a swamp buggy ride, airboat ride and some shows and seeing the grounds. This I found through Interval International so it might be overpriced. I think you get both the buggy and the boat tour for that price.

Please let me know what you think of the two, your experiences and what you saw and what you liked or disliked.

What do you think would be the best bet for 2 ladies from the Hudson Valley NY that has never been to the Everglades?

Thanks in advance for any input you can send my way!!!

I'm not sure what city your are sailing into, but we took an airboat tour of the Everglades out of Ft. Lauderdale and were pretty disappointed. Ours was in a sawgrass area, and also featured a "Seminole" village. The airboat ride was fun but we only saw the eyeballs of a single alligator, so that was not really what I thought it would be. There was no other wildlife. Apparently the wildlife is really only visible during the night and early morning hours. Too bad they don't tell you that.

The roadside zoo was rather sad and didn't really feature much native wildlife either (unless prairie dogs are native to the Everglades). They had some reptiles, and charged extra to get a picture with a baby alligator (with its jaws taped shut...yuck). They also have a panther that they charge $10 to pose with. I found this all tacky.

The Seminole village was a complete joke. You sit in a covered shed and watch a video of a Seminole Indian. There is very little else other than the gift stand. The tour guide (and boat driver) solicited continuously for tips.

I would not recommend this tour.

Thanks do much for your info. That's a few negative yhings on the Seagrass tour. So I won't be booking that tour.

I read a few positive views on another site on the Billie Safari Park, would love to hear from someone from CC!

I'm going to book the Billie Swamp Safari, if they are open Easter Sunday.

Sounded like the best for the price. We will book day we arrive instead of prebooking in case of bad weather.

Hope this helps someone.

Archived