civitavecchia

babygoo

Keith, I've seen you suggest this on other threads and it puzzles me. The train station is less than a half mile from the fort at the cruise port, where the bus drops you off. That's about 6 - 8 New York City blocks, for perspective. You'd need to be a very slow walker to take a half hour to cover this distance; at a jog it can be accomplished in five minutes, if you're rushing to make a train or departure time. Normal walking should take no more than 10 - 15 minutes. Of course, you also have to add the time for the shuttle bus that takes you to and from the ship to the port entrance.

I agree....the walk is only about 10 minutes from the port entrance! :)

The only thing I would add to all this discussion (train vs. bus vs. tour) would be this... Keep in mind the trains (not sure about bus) can go on strike AT ANY TIME! When we did our first European cruise, we had planned and pre-purchased our train tickets to Rome. Unfortunately (but thankfully) the night before we docked in Civitacchevia, the Captain announced that the following day the trains would not be running because of a strike! Long and short of it, we wound up getting 30 strangers, who were just like us, together and "hired" our own bus for the day!! Just wanted to make you aware so can have a Plan "B" in case...

We have been told so many times that the trains in Italy can go on strike at any time and that they aren't reliable about being on time. But we have NEVER had a problem with the trains while in Italy! Maybe we have just been lucky..... I agree, though, that you should always have a Plan "B" just in case!:)

Archived