Question for experienced Panama Canal travelers

yiddishkopf

My SO and I are looking into a Panama Canal cruise for 2011--we like the one in September of 2011 that leaves from San Francisco. One of my "bucket list" experiences is to visit the Embera Indian Village. Do all PCC cruises have excursions available? From what port or canal area do they leave for this visit? If on an excursion, can we also experience the canal locks, etc.

It seems that just one day is allotted to the canal --I just want to be sure that I will have time to both experience the canal and take the excursion.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

My SO and I are looking into a Panama Canal cruise for 2011--we like the one in September of 2011 that leaves from San Francisco. One of my "bucket list" experiences is to visit the Embera Indian Village. Do all PCC cruises have excursions available? From what port or canal area do they leave for this visit? If on an excursion, can we also experience the canal locks, etc.

It seems that just one day is allotted to the canal --I just want to be sure that I will have time to both experience the canal and take the excursion.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

You may want to look at cruises on Princess. They have full transits that have what's called a 2 day Canal Experience. The ship spends one full day at Fuerte Amador(a tender port on the Pacific side of the Canal) where you can do various tours, including the Embera Indian Village. The other day is spent transiting the canal.

Take a look at cruises on Celebrity. They have full transits thats a 2 day canal experience. Just Like Princess they spend one full day at Fuerte Amador(a tender port on the Pacific side of the Canal) where you can do various tours, including the Embera Indian village tour. The other day is spent transiting the canal. :D I have been through the Panama twice!! What ever cruise you decide to take! Can't go wrong with Panama IMO :D

The only thing you MUST be sure of is that the cruise line you take has the two day Canal itinerary. Some note the Canal as eight hours....it takes that long to pass from one end to the other which means it isn't stopping anywhere and you just get to experience passing through the locks....which is OK but doesn't meet the needs of your Bucket List.

Princess has a ten day cruise from FLA that goes through the first set of locks into Gatun Lake....then you get off the ship and tour the Village...or other tours....the ship then goes back through the locks to the Gulf ...swings around the corner and waits at Cristobol where all the tours return to. It's not a complete transit of the Canal but we found very worthwhile.

Our second cruise to the Canal we just sailed through it on our way to the east coat of South America and the Amazon. Just as thrilling as the first cruise but missed the stop at Cristobol.

Archived