Xel-Ha review 2/11/2005

SevenVII

Wow, this place was simply amazing!

We booked this excursion on our own through their website. Booked the all-inclusive package and it was WELL worth it. We were aboard the Ecstasy, so we docked at Calica....the worst part of the whole ordeal was finding transportation down there, it cost us $30(taxi) each way which sucked royally. If you are going I would looking at finding someone to share a cab with or perhaps renting a car. I think it was $40 to rent a small car, and $65 for a jeep. If we had to do over again we would have done that.

Well after we sucked it up and realized we are paying a bit more for this excursion now, we entered the park. It took about 3 minutes to get in at 9:00 or so in the morning. After we checked out our lockers, and snorkel gear we pretty much had the entire park to ourselves those first few hours. The snorkeling there was top notch in my book. Granted I have never been to many places, but there was an abundance of different sea life swimming around the lagoon.

After we finished up snorkeling we did the nature walk through the jungle, which was also very nice. We did the rope swing, neat but nothing great. And the cliff of courage....I grew up jumping off of 50-75 foot cliffs so this wasnt anything too crazy, but it was pretty nice jumping into beautiful water and then climbing the cliff(if you wanted) to get back up. There are lots of animals to see along the way too, many birds, lots of lizards, and some raccoon looking animals. They are all hanging out near the feeding areas, and everything would come eat the food right out of my hand. The cenotes were also pretty neat too.

The buffet line was a bit long, just because thats about when the crowd showed up. But the food was really good, they had quite a good selection too. Day we went there was, salad, BBQ ribs, Vegeterian lasagna, chicken primavera, fish in a golden sauce(really good), beef in a chipotle, sopapillas, and lots of different desserts. The alcohol was a little weak but they didnt question you 1 bit, I went through my first 4 drinks in probably 4 minutes as I kept ordering, drinking, then walking right back to the line :D My wife ordered waters all over the place(bottled waters) and they are included as well.

There are trash bins all over and the place was in pristine condition. The bathrooms were clean, showers, beaches, everything was in good shape. I really wish we didnt have to board our ship at 4:00 because I could easily spend all day there, maybe even 2. We had a wonderful time and really, really enjoyed this place.

If you are even considering this place, my advice is to do it. I dont see how anyone could not find something to enjoy here!

Hey--I read your review and have some questions for you...I really want to do Xel-Ha over Xcaret and the review intensified that feeling! I am confused about how long it really takes to get there from Calica. I have heard it's two hours away, and I have also heard 20 minutes! What gives!? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

My family of 5 did Xel-Ha from the Holiday last Wednesday!!!!

It took us about 30-40 mintes to get there from the pier. We took one of the big 8 pax vans.....$120 round trip for the five of us.... didn't dicker, and just took the first van we found.... it can be done cheaper. There had been a thunderstorm the night before, so snorkeling visibilty was not as good as it could have been, but it was well worth it.

Definitely do the all inclusive.... gets you gear and food & drinks.. including margaritas, cerveza, and bottled water.( the buffet was like $17 US per person if you had to buy it seperatly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I and my wife had considered not doing a excursion on our Calica stop but this definitely sounds appealing! We both like the water and a chance for some quality snorkeling as well as adult drinks and food included seem like this would be a very good opportunity for us.

Where did ya'll sign up for it at?

And are there other options to get there? Like a bus or anything?(besides renting - a bit gunshy of that as I have read stories of corrupted officers) 60 bucks in cab fair for the two of us seems steep.

Ecstasy - 5/5/2005 We'll be there - Cinco de Mayo!

I'm a bit confused. Was this the Tulum & Xel-Ha excursion? Did you say that you did book it through Carnival? My sister and I are definitely looking at this excursion from Calica and we are not sure weather to book it from the ship or privately.

• 2 months later...

Archived