Best time to leave St. John and not miss ship

caribbean crazy

We have been really struggling with the decision to ferry to St. John due to the time factor, but it sounds like such a gorgeous place we just can't resist. BUT I don't want to worry the whole time about missing the ship.

If our ship leaves at 5:00, when should we leave St. John? There is a 1:15 and 2:15 ferry. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The 2:15 should be fine. If it is the one going to Charlotte Amalie, it will put you there within a few minutes of 3:00, and the ships are a short cab ride away -- you'll be at the boat no later than 3:30. If this is the one going to Red Hook, you'll be okay, too. You'll be at Red Hook in about 20 minutes, and the cruise ships are only a 20-30 minute cab ride from Red Hook.

We have actually done this. We left the ship first thing, took a local taxi/van over to Red Hook and caught the 9:00 a.m. ferry to St. John. It was awesome. We absolutely adore St. John and the day was just a teaser. We left St. John at some time in the mid afternoon and had no problems being back at the ship on time. It is best to allow yourself extra time though, just in case there are unforeseen delays. I love the little town of Cruz Bay also.

Thanks! You have put my mind at ease! I had read a post a few months ago with someone describing a horror story of people pushing and fighting to get on the ferry back to St. Thomas. Maybe they waited to 4:00 to leave - who knows? Anyway, I think we'll try to stay at least until 2:15 and have a nice long day! Can't Wait!

The ferry runs every hour on the hour so I believe we left at 3:00, allowing time to take the taxi back to ship. There are two ferries. We took the one from Red Hook.

We are planning to go again to St.John on the ferry from Red Hook and then grab a taxi for a little tour of some of the island.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Terry55- Yes both St. John ferries dock at the same pier on St. John. But one goes to Red Hook and the other Charlotte Amalie. They aren't labeled so you just have to ask and know the schedules.

Canadianeh - you can purchase round trip tickets.

Schedules and prices are available at: http://www.*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

--Islander

Archived