Richardson vs. Punalu'u Black Sand Beach

E's Mommy

I've made several searches but I really can't decide. It seems the more I research the more confused I get. Naturally VNP is our main attraction for Hilo, but the kids (7 and 12) are very excited about a black beach. I'm thinking that Akaka Falls might be too much for them. (any thoughts) Punalu'u is a 2hr drive back to the POA...is that accurate? I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance:o

Punalu'u Black Sand Beach is the place to see turtles resting on the rocks and also get some fabulous photos. I have been there many times but have never gone in the water there. Always too rough and windy. But it is very, very beautiful and the sand is a lot of fun to walk around in. Yes, it is about another 45 minute drive past VNP....and it is out in the middle of nowhere. No food, etc. It would be a long drive back to the ship.

Richardson's is much safer for swimming. But, the beach itself is very small and not the postcard type of beach lined with the swaying palms like at Punalu'u. It is a grassy beach....but very nice and of course, just down the road from the cruise pier.

I am curious why you think Akaka Falls might be "too much" for the kids. It is a magnificent sight and the walk to and from the falls is very interesting. It is not difficult at all......my 83 year old MIL had no trouble doing it. It is not a hike....it is a stroll along paved pathways. .

Have fun.....you can't go wrong with whatever you decide to do.

I personally was not that impressed with Punalu'u beach, especially after the long drive to get there. Too many slobby people, and too commercialized. I agree that the water would have been rough to swim in. However, I have not been to Richardson beach so I can't compare. The black sand beach I thought was prettiest was the one at Wai'anapanapa State Park on the Road to Hana on Maui, but it is also dangerous for swimming. In retrospect I would have rather spent the time we took driving to Punalu'u and spent more time at VNP (we turned around before getting all the way to the end of the Chain of Craters road, to be sure we had enough time to get to Punalu'u).

I am curious why you think Akaka Falls might be "too much" for the kids. It is a magnificent sight and the walk to and from the falls is very interesting. It is not difficult at all......my 83 year old MIL had no trouble doing it. It is not a hike....it is a stroll along paved pathways.

Thanks for the input and clarification. Other CC posts had mentioned the Falls were "above average in physical activity" and "a good number of stair steps." I didn't realize that it's a paved pathway. Akaka Falls is something that I really want to see. Basically the plan is to enjoy HI and realize we are not going to see everything...... and make sure when get back to HI as soon as we can.:D

I personally was not that impressed with Punalu'u beach, especially after the long drive to get there. Too many slobby people, and too commercialized. I agree that the water would have been rough to swim in. However, I have not been to Richardson beach so I can't compare. The black sand beach I thought was prettiest was the one at Wai'anapanapa State Park on the Road to Hana on Maui, but it is also dangerous for swimming. In retrospect I would have rather spent the time we took driving to Punalu'u and spent more time at VNP (we turned around before getting all the way to the end of the Chain of Craters road, to be sure we had enough time to get to Punalu'u).

hmmmm.....more food for thought. :rolleyes: Thanks for you quick reply!!

The black sand beach I thought was prettiest was the one at Wai'anapanapa State Park on the Road to Hana on Maui, but it is also dangerous for swimming. In retrospect I would have rather spent the time we took driving to Punalu'u and spent more time at VNP (we turned around before getting all the way to the end of the Chain of Craters road, to be sure we had enough time to get to Punalu'u).
I have to second this thought. Wai'anapanapa State Park was a wonderful place (maybe my favorite of all--don't miss the caves!) and the end of Chain of Craters road was so worth seeing. We didn't want to leave. The views are spectacular and walking the 1/2 mile down the paved road to see where the lava came across is, in my opinion, very good for the kids to see. There is also a little ranger station kind of thing at the beginning with some pictures/news stories about the lava flows. You can look back up the hill and see the dark areas where the lava flowed all the way to the sea.

I'm a homeschool mom, so I guess I'm an education nerd ;).

We decided to go to Richardson Beach Park, instead of Punalu'u, because it's so close to the ship and we won't have to spend so much time driving out to Punalu'u. Instead, we plan to spend more time at VNP, including driving down the Chain of Craters Road, and see Akaka Falls. We are also supposed to see a black sand beach in Maui on our Road to Hana tour also so seeing Punalu'u isn't as big of a priority.

We decided to go to Richardson Beach Park, instead of Punalu'u, because it's so close to the ship and we won't have to spend so much time driving out to Punalu'u. Instead, we plan to spend more time at VNP, including driving down the Chain of Craters Road, and see Akaka Falls. We are also supposed to see a black sand beach in Maui on our Road to Hana tour also so seeing Punalu'u isn't as big of a priority.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to your trip report and your road to hana. We're considering going with them too.

Thanks,

Kristina

Archived