Recommendation for Oregon Tours

ttax

Since I had questioned this board about Costa Rica tours with Oregon Tours and Lester Milliner, I am now reporting on our experiences. A group of 3 couples visited Puerto Limon on the Summit on 2/11/05, having contracted for Lester to take us to some interesting sights. Lester was there to meet us at the appointed time and he gave us a very interesting and pleasant tour. His van easily held the six of us (I think it would have held eight or ten comfortably) and Lester was a careful and thoughtful driver. Several times while driving, he saw a monkey or sloth and pulled over so we could take pictures. Unfortunately, we arrived on a rainy day but fortunately we had thought to bring umbrellas. But the rain did make sightseeing more difficult.

Lester first took us to Aviarios del Caribe, which is a sloth preserve. There we saw sloths and took a guided boat ride on a gentle stream where we saw abundant wildlife. It was a very nice excursion despite the rain, and would have been wonderful in better weather. There is an interesting article about the sloth preserve at http://www.travellersvoice.com/articles/article.html?id=97

We spend about an hour and a half there and then Lester took us to a banana plantation. First we drove around viewing how bananas are grown and then we visited the Del Monte factory where we saw how bunches of bananas are separated, cleaned and ultimately boxed for shipping. It was a very interesting process and Lester explained each step very well. Lastly we briefly stopped by a cocoa plantation where Lester demonstrated how cocoa beans are harvested and explained how to make chocolate tea, which we would call hot chocolate.

Lester said he could take us to any sight we wished. We selected the sloth preserve but he said ziplining is popular. We’re going back next January and plan to contact Lester again for another excursion – perhaps ziplining, if we get up the nerve.

I will attempt to attach a picture of Lester, his van, and one or two of us. You can see the OregonTours website (Oregon is a family name and has no relation to the State) at http://www.oregontourscr.org/ and email them at oregontouroper@racsa.co.cr

1499835175_P2110124(Custom).JPG.15347b4739c82b4cab8f9e04509cdcb1.JPG

Archived