Carrying on rolling backpack of scuba equipment?

hmp2z

Hi! I have a question. I'm very nervous about how the cruise ships handle our luggage; I don't like that it's left outside our cabin door. My husband and I are going to be bringing our scuba equipment with us on our upcoming Holland America cruise (BC's, regulators, masks, fins, snorkels, boots, wetsuits). Would it be possible for us to get large, rolling backpacks, put our scuba equipment in these, and take these on as our carry on luggage when we board the ship? We will be driving to the port, not flying, so we don't have to worry about airline regulations.

Also, secondary question: I've read about others using rolling duffel bags for their cruise equipment, but I'm quite small (not 100 pounds) and think that I could handle the weight distribution better of a backpack than a duffel bag. Any recommendations for a good, large rolling backpack that would fit a BC, fins (25" fins), regulator, masks, snorkel, boots, and wetsuits? I've read so many varying recommendations that my head is spinning, and it would be great to hear from other cruisers who know what the diving experience is like on a cruise ship. If it helps, we're cruising the Western Caribbean and have booked excursions through dive centers directly, not through the ship, so we will be on shuttle buses & taxis.

Thank you for your help!

Heather W

We have been on several cruises with our dive gear over the last ten years including several with HAL. My advice would be to never part with your regulators, dive computers, dive logbooks and 'C' Cards. Everything else I would check. We have never had a problem with our SCUBA gear in checked luggage.

I bought a briefcase style regulator bag some years ago in which we keep both sets of regulators, our primary and back up dive computers, logbooks and 'C' Cards. This bag stays with us no matter what. BCD's, fins, masks, snorkels and so forth aren't of much interest to thieves. When flying commercially I do use a little camouflage. I bought a ten or more year old Samsonite hard sided rolling suitcase for those times when we fly commercially. Our SCUBA gear goes in that very plain suitcase. I paid under ten bucks for it at the Goodwill store.

BTW, we don't wear or bring our wetsuits when diving in the Caribbean. We have found diveskins to be sufficient but everyone is different. Hope this is helpful info. Now go enjoy that dive trip.

;):);)

We always take our gear. We pack everything in Aqualung carry on bags now that we are using the adjustable Aqualung fins. Before that we used a Stahlsac Cozumel dive bag that had to be checked. That is a rolling bag that has room for other items and is made to be taken on the boat as your primary dive bag. It is unmarked and looks like a regular bag.

I'm with Pilot70D. I check the bulky stuff but keep my regulators, computer, c-card with me. My mask gets packed in the original case. If you don't have the original case, put that in carry on as well.

I've NEVER heard of anyone losing something because the luggage was left in the hall of the cruise ship. Steal my gear and I report it to the ship crew. When they try to get off the ship with it they'll be caught.

Airport thieves are typically going to target people coming home. They look for booze, cameras, gifts, etc. Your average thief wouldn't know what to do with scuba gear. They know how much a bottle of booze is worth (I have been robbed of that).

I have however seen how luggage is handled by the airport staff, the delivery truck the ship contracts out to, the dock crew who move it onto the ship, etc. Stuff can and will get broken.

• 1 month later...
Hi! I have a question. I'm very nervous about how the cruise ships handle our luggage; I don't like that it's left outside our cabin door. My husband and I are going to be bringing our scuba equipment with us on our upcoming Holland America cruise (BC's, regulators, masks, fins, snorkels, boots, wetsuits). Would it be possible for us to get large, rolling backpacks, put our scuba equipment in these, and take these on as our carry on luggage when we board the ship? We will be driving to the port, not flying, so we don't have to worry about airline regulations.

Also, secondary question: I've read about others using rolling duffel bags for their cruise equipment, but I'm quite small (not 100 pounds) and think that I could handle the weight distribution better of a backpack than a duffel bag. Any recommendations for a good, large rolling backpack that would fit a BC, fins (25" fins), regulator, masks, snorkel, boots, and wetsuits? I've read so many varying recommendations that my head is spinning, and it would be great to hear from other cruisers who know what the diving experience is like on a cruise ship. If it helps, we're cruising the Western Caribbean and have booked excursions through dive centers directly, not through the ship, so we will be on shuttle buses & taxis.

Thank you for your help!

Heather W

We have been on two cruises where we have brought our own gear. We bring everything including our BCD's. Our local dive shop actually included some bags when we purchased our equipment. They are great and are made by Oceanic. The fins go in pockets, one on each side. The back of the back is hard and when you put your BCD in it, the hard back of your bcd creates a solid box so everything inside it is protected. I'm not sure how much they cost, but they are great bags. They have an extendable handle and wheels like regular luggage so they are easy to carry. We always carry our computers seperate though, just don't want to take a chance on those getting lost or stolen.

I've done it a couple of different ways. I have a rolling carry on that can handle my bc, regulator, fins, mask, snorkel, fin socks, wetsuit & dive skin and dive book. I often take that for short trips. When I do the larger or longer ones, I do my regular rolling dive bag that I use in California. It's larger and holds not only my dive stuff, but I can put shoes in there and some other miscellaneous stuff to keep the regular luggage lighter.

But when I do the larger bag, I also bring a mesh bag to put my stuff in at the ports. Many of the dive shops meet you at the port and can't handle large bags. You'll have to leave it behind and then everything you have is loose and in your hands. Not fun.

Knock on wood but I have not yet had an issue with my luggage on the ship or the airline. Hopefully that continues.

• 4 weeks later...

We drive to our debarkation ports so the amount of luggage we bring is not an issue, most time we share a suitcase, each carry a travel backpack and then have two rolling dive bags. We always check the suitcase and dive bags with the porters and never had an issue with our equipment and luggage showing up in our room. You can store your dive equipment and empty suitcases under your bed (lots of room) so there is no issue of overcrowding in the stateroom.

It is helpful to get a rolling dive bag, for your gear or a backpack, I would not try to lug a duffel (small woman also). It's funny when we leave the ship for excursion people think we're checking out, lol.

I always carry on my mask, dive computer and reg only. I pack my BC, dive kit (repair equipment, o-rings, etc.) and fins. I would be distraught if someone stole my BC, but it is a bit bulkier than I care to carry. I also pack a mesh backpack/duffel bag, with a side zip function that allows for easier storage and carrying in port (and I am only 5'1").

My wife and I have typically traveled with our gear in hard case Samsonite luggage, and carried on our regs, computers, etc. Once we were on the ship we swapped over to mesh duffel bags. We have used the mesh bags often for our regular diving trips, but it about wore us out on our cruises. At some ports it is a long trek from the dock to where you can catch a taxi or meet your group. The worst was the trip back. Wet gear, tired people, hot sun, and a long trek back to our room. For our trip in May we purchased roller duffel bags. And they are lockable with a TSA style lock. It won't stop the determined thief, but should keep the honest person honest. We learned this lesson while stopping for a rest with our mesh dive bags, only to see another diver glide past with his roller duffel!

-Mike

Archived