2010 Dec to Antartica on HAL

Toocool

Hello,

We are going on the HAL the Veendam on Dec 20th 2010 with two kids (10 & 5) an have the following questions.

1) Will there be kids onboard?

2) Some of the shore excursion (penguins adventure) we want to go are on waiting list, will there anybody doing shore excursions?

Welcome! We are on the same cruise and have two kids, aged 7 and 4. Glad to hear that there will be more kids on the cruise.

We are doing quite a few excursions... including the penguin ones.

And I agree, sign up for the roll call under the Holland America Roll call section! :)

Thanks Guys. We are Two adults, and 2 girls (10 & 5). we want to go to the volunteer point to see penguin adventure.

I went to the rollcall and I did not know how to get me added to the rollcall. Should i reply to the first message or any message. Sorry i am new to this forums.

Thanks Guys. We are Two adults, and 2 girls (10 & 5). we want to go to the volunteer point to see penguin adventure.

I went to the rollcall and I did not know how to get me added to the rollcall. Should i reply to the first message or any message. Sorry i am new to this forums.

Reply to the thread jsut like you did here and introduce yourself.

• 1 month later...

It all sounds very exciting. We are considering this cruise for the next season (January).

I know that the HAL itinerary does not alow any landings on ANtartica itself - cruising only. So, I have a few questions for you all:

1. Can cruisers actually see any wild life on the Antartica coasts?

2. Does the ship get close enough to land to actually see anything there?

3. So, where are the pinguin colonies?

4. How do we set up excursions?

5. We will also travel with a 4 year old son. Is it a good idea?

It all sounds very exciting. We are considering this cruise for the next season (January).

I know that the HAL itinerary does not alow any landings on ANtartica itself - cruising only. So, I have a few questions for you all:

1. Can cruisers actually see any wild life on the Antartica coasts?

2. Does the ship get close enough to land to actually see anything there?

3. So, where are the pinguin colonies?

4. How do we set up excursions?

5. We will also travel with a 4 year old son. Is it a good idea?

1. Can cruisers actually see any wild life on the Antartica coasts? Depends on how lucky you are. Binoculars are a must. You may see a seal or some penguins in the distance. Whales may show up. I have not done a HAL cruise.

2. Does the ship get close enough to land to actually see anything there? It should get close enough to see with binoculars.

3. So, where are the pinguin colonies? Penguin colonies to visit would be in the Falklands and Punta Arenas.

4. How do we set up excursions? Depends what ports you are going to visit.

5. We will also travel with a 4 year old son. Is it a good idea? 4 years old is a little young to enjoy this type of cruise. You will be very busy looking after him taking your thoughts away from the cruise.

1. Can cruisers actually see any wild life on the Antartica coasts? Depends on how lucky you are. Binoculars are a must. You may see a seal or some penguins in the distance. Whales may show up. I have not done a HAL cruise.

2. Does the ship get close enough to land to actually see anything there? It should get close enough to see with binoculars.

3. So, where are the pinguin colonies? Penguin colonies to visit would be in the Falklands and Punta Arenas.

4. How do we set up excursions? Depends what ports you are going to visit.

5. We will also travel with a 4 year old son. Is it a good idea? 4 years old is a little young to enjoy this type of cruise. You will be very busy looking after him taking your thoughts away from the cruise.

Hello scapel,

Thank you for your responses. They give me a better idea of what to expect.

Whales do come close to the ships. You will also see penguins "dolphining" close to the ship and see some on floating pieces of ice.

You can claim to have seen Antarctica and have sailed in Antarctic waters!:D

Archived