Excursions on MV Discovery

serval_girl

Hi all. I was looking at the Jan 18 2011 sailing and it says they have yet to formalize excursions. I thought that was odd considering how close the sailing is. Granted, I often book private tours, but I always like to check out the ships excursions first. What are peoples opinions in terms of quality choice and price for this ships excursions? The cruise goes to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina but Id be happy with info in general. Also, can you arrange for a flight home for a day later in their inclusive bookings? I would like to dive in Argentina but couldnt if I have to fly out the next day. Thanks!

Hi all. I was looking at the Jan 18 2011 sailing and it says they have yet to formalize excursions. I thought that was odd considering how close the sailing is. Granted, I often book private tours, but I always like to check out the ships excursions first. What are peoples opinions in terms of quality choice and price for this ships excursions? The cruise goes to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina but Id be happy with info in general. Also, can you arrange for a flight home for a day later in their inclusive bookings? I would like to dive in Argentina but couldnt if I have to fly out the next day. Thanks!

Quality and choice of MV Discovery tours was very good, though often pricey for some of the choices, but one was outstanding (Phinda Game Reserve in South Africa) and one was a total rip-off but not sure this was a fault of Discovery. (Maldivian Airlines air tour of Maldive Islands DO NOT EVER TAKE THIS TOUR! CHEESY 7 MINUTE FLIGHT UP AND BACK OVER VERY UNSCENIC ISLANDS FOR MAJOR BUCKS)

The ship is smaller so it often gets into to ports closer to town which is a bonus, and they do have shuttles available if they are not close for a small charge.

Sorry they have not let you know what excursions are available and it does seem like you will need to contact them directly for the post-cruise extension in BsAs.

We did a ship arranged extension stay at our ending port in Capetown SA so they added this time into the final included flight arrangements. We just got the hotel and transfers (mini city tour too) and did things on our own.

I'm sailing on Jan 4th & received booklet with all the shore excursions for Grand South American Discovery, which I am on (leave the ship March 21st!) plus booking forms ages ago, when I paid for the cruise. I'm sure you should have received it by now - you'd better contact the office. Also you can see the excursions on their website - I checked some of them out before I received the booklet from the ship.

I do a mixture of ship's excursions & my own thing, depending on what I want to do in a particular port & the time we're in there. I've been on Discovery many times (another 'home') & have rarely been disappointed with what I've been able to do either by myself, with friends I've made, or with Shorex.

The only big disappointments I've had was in La Digue Island (Seychelles - a rip-off for an oxcart ride) & in Mauritius when two tours overlapped unacceptably in actuality though not in the rubric. We got compensation when we moaned - money back into our onboard accounts.

Yes- some of the excursions are expensive but on the whole well-run & go to terrific places which might be hard by yourself in the time.

Discovery are encouraging us to book excursions ahead of sailing, and there's a £5.00 discount for doing so.

Hope you soon get sorted! I'll see you on the ship?

Annie Swan (Pam Smith, Swanage, England).

For some reason the US site hasn't been updated, but there are excursions shown on the UK site here

There is a full brochure that you should be sent soon available to download here There isn't a price list online that I can find though.

Hope it is ok to post these links :)

I've been on Discovery many times (another 'home') & have rarely been disappointed with what I've been able to do either by myself, with friends I've made, or with Shorex.

The only big disappointments I've had was in La Digue Island (Seychelles - a rip-off for an oxcart ride) & in Mauritius when two tours overlapped unacceptably in actuality though not in the rubric. We got compensation when we moaned - money back into our onboard accounts.

Yes- some of the excursions are expensive but on the whole well-run & go to terrific places which might be hard by yourself in the time.

Discovery are encouraging us to book excursions ahead of sailing, and there's a £5.00 discount for doing so.

Hope you soon get sorted! I'll see you on the ship?

Annie Swan (Pam Smith, Swanage, England).

Annie, you must have been on our Grand Voyage Asia to Africa, right? We did La Digue on our own and agree there was not much they could offer as a "tour" on that tiny spot and we did Mauritius on our own too because we were so close and found a terrific French restaurant we went back to twice for lunch in the middle of town.

I posted a link to "interior photos" from that trip and who knows, you might find yourself in one of the background shots. Many were taken at the end of the trip after we reached South Africa, if you got off in Mauritius but there are others that were taken earlier. Hope you don't mind. It was a wonderful trip, even though the last two weeks from Mauritius to Capetown was one for the record books with relentless high seas. (And more pirate worries too) http://picasaweb.google.com/travellergal/MVDiscoveryInteriorPhotos201002#

Actually I boarded Discovery in Capetown & disembarked in Mumbai, so did your route in reverse. Can't remember the exact dates, but early 2009. I don't think I'll be in your photos on that trip but maybe on others, as you've clearly been on the dear old ship many times too.

Good to see your relatively recent photos of Discovery - how on earth did you get them on to the site? I'm new to CC & not sure how it works! Your contributions keep Discovery in cruisers eyes to a certain extent, though the site seems to be dominated by huge American ships.

I wonder if I know you? Are you Swiss? I remember meeting a very nice Swiss woman onboard - was it you?

Annie Swan (actually Pam Smith)

Archived