Ruby Princess Venice- Ft. Lauderdale Oct 19, 2011

RMorningglory

Can't book flights yet because I try to book the return flight from the city I will be ending at the following April (Copenhagen.) Flights for Next spring can't be booked yet. Also unsure may want to fly into Munich and train down to Innsbruck area for a couple of days before heading to Venice by train. Will definitely be in Venice 2 days before boarding.

If you haven't been to Insbruck before it is wonderful. Saltzberg is another option. Ski a lot and Love to ski Insbruck. Fun town all together, a lot of students and late night bars. Not sure that's your thing but in Ski season it's the deal. Saltzberg is soooo pretty as well, especially in the fall.

I am completely dreading the logistics of 4 of us plus luggage for an almost month long trip in a European car from Milan. I am still figuring that one out. Yikes.

I found a direct flight JFK to Milan with Iberian on an American Airlines flight. $500.00 each one way. I jumped on it. Boston JFK is easy with Jetblue so add another $49.00 and we're there. I figured with the price of fuel these days anything under $600. wasn't bad. I also like the idea of direct rather than a groggy jet-lagged lay over somewhere. Better for all I think.

As for excursions, I've been to most of these places a few times before so... taking one for the team... and I'm the designated driver and tour guide as well as director. We're renting a car in Naples, Rome, Florence and Cannes. With 4 of us and 1 person footing the bill ship-sponsored excursions add up quick. I actually prefer to do the independent thing so I can controle the length of stuff. We're in it for the sights, the sounds, the vistas and the views. A 2 hour lunch with a view is my idea of heaven and the rest of the crew will be just as happy. We're in Rome on a Sunday so that limits the stuff to do (IE No Vatican Museums etc) and Florence on Monday (No Ufizzi) so I figure what the heck, I'll drive em by the highlights and do some wandering around. I LOVE some of the hotels in Cap d'antiebs and Monte Carlo (Lunch at the Metropole) but also Love the perfume stuff at Grasse so we'll play it by ear and figure it out as we go.

If it were earlier in the year I think AJ and I would have snuck down to Sitges from Barcelona but this late in the fall I'm not sure it's worth it. By then I'm hoping the parents need a break. LOL

How close is the port to the city in Lisbon? Does anyone know??

Has anyone noticed if the sanctuary was busy on the last TA at this time of the year? We have really loved it on other cruises and bought in for the entire cruise. Contemplating it for this Cruise, at least I'll be able to look for my mother passed out in the same place every day! LOL

We have a Mini Suite (Double edged sword in that people can see from above... They might see a lot more then the bargained for LOL) but seriously, we have a sun and shade balcony. It just feels so isolated during the day. WE could just lay out there. Also part of the debate.

We also enjoy later afternoon spa time, ie: Steam/Sauna Regimen. Has anyone on a previous TA cruise spent time in this area? We have thouroughly enjoied the environment and conversation with our fellow spa mates. Your insight will be priceless.

OK... enough for now. Chime in Men. Any insight would be much appreciated as usual.;)

Sorry I have been extremely busy since getting back from my TA last month. Trying to get the yard back in shape is definitely a battle. The weather as you are aware here in the northeast hasn't been all that pleasant as of late.

I wish I could answer your question on the sanctuary but I have never used it so I can't help you. I can tell you that we did have many warm days for sunning out on the decks...... Lisbon will be the only port that I have not been to before so unfortunately there again I can be of no assistance.

Now that summer has begun how is life on the Cape?

Hey there. Life here on Cape Cod is definately in REV mode. We are ready for summer I have to say but it feels like the weather isn't going to make it get here any sooner. Bookings here at the hotel are solid so that makes us all happy. We are actually going to Palm Beach July 17th. If it's not hot here... It will be there (Phew, sweatting already). Boston and the Burbs are a Buss over the Bruins win last night (We could care less) so that's got people around here feeling pretty good today. Here's a thought... Football Strike might mean less Football on MUTS during our cruise!!! (Sorry for those who like it but I'd rather see Tina Turner for the 200th time than have to endure the keg-fest footballers). I am still freaking out over how I am going to get the 4 of us and all our luggage from Milan to the Ship. Keeping me awake at night. I'm picturing the Griswalds.There's a thought... we can just buy a bunch of modern Italian styles when we get there. LOL (Maybe Not)!

I have some friends that I met on the Ruby in the Caribbean last November who are up in Provincetown now. Unfortunately the weather isn't supposed to improve for them until the day they are heading home. I actually watched my DVD of Tina's last tour (2009) the day before yesterday. Maybe I should lend my copy to Princess......... So you are doing a re-make of European Vacation?

We are actually fying to Milan from Boston on the 15th so no. And next year there are No carribean cruises in October... Now what??? We might all have to rent a house in Palm Springs or put off our cruising till November. Definately let us know what your plans are for next yeat. This gets me off the hook with my parents so we'll definately be looking for you guys then!

We love Palm Springs. Not sure about next October. I have a couple of free plane tickets, we need to use by next August. One is for US,Caribbean and Mexico. The Other is good worldwide. Maybe go to Puerto Vallarta in Feb. But the trips will use up my Vacation for the year. 4 weeks just not enough:mad:.

Any tour suggestions for Dominica, Andrew and Carl want to go tubing:confused:

I want a picture of that!! LOL Last time we were there we did some snorkeling on Champagne Beach independently... just went out and hired a guy who then took us to the rainforrest and better yet... a cheap liquor store where AJ got bottles of Absolute for $10. Woo Hoo:p

Hi; just thought I'd check into this thread. It's final payment time in a few weeks.... as I've just taken the money out my savings account; I guess I'll be on this sailing too :)

Rob

Hello, I haven't posted much on cruise critic. I am sailing in October and I also have a Birthday during that time. (the 24th) I am sailing with a friend from work that has never cruised this will be quite a long cruise for a first timer, I hope she likes it. I have been on a few but never a crossing and never in Europe. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Any tips on getting airfare?

Hi; just thought I'd check into this thread. It's final payment time in a few weeks.... as I've just taken the money out my savings account; I guess I'll be on this sailing too :)

Rob

Welcome to our little thread. Great to hear you are joining us on the Ruby. We are all looking forward to the trip. I'm Chris, My Partner is AJ. We've done Southern Carribean a lot so we'll have fun notes to compare from your April Cruise. Are you joining us alone?

Hello, I haven't posted much on cruise critic. I am sailing in October and I also have a Birthday during that time. (the 24th) I am sailing with a friend from work that has never cruised this will be quite a long cruise for a first timer, I hope she likes it. I have been on a few but never a crossing and never in Europe. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Any tips on getting airfare?

It's great to hear that our group is growing. Welcome. Where are you flying from?

Hi

I am traveling with my other half, Simon. We are doing this cruise with 2 couples we met on the south america cruise, one set from New Hampshire the others from Ontario.... and we're from the UK.

We ended up adding on the Princess Air option, trying to organise our own flights at a reasonable price was almost a deal breaker for us; but the Princess ones came in a half the price (for once!!).

We are flying in directly from London Heathrow on the 19th October and also taking the Princess transfers to the ship. Is everyone else arriving early and spending more time in Venice?

Welcome to you all then! We are going to land in Milan and do the Veneto for a few day prior to arriving at the ship. My parents plus bags etc are too much to schlep around the bridges! We are staying in South Florida after the cruise to get our "Land Legs". We're still debating on Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. We are down there a lot so it's really just a matter of picking one. Are you all same sex couuples? If yes you just doubled the amount of confirmed bachelors on the boat. LOL Which ship did you sail on in South America?? That sounds amazing. Can't wait to hear about it over the course of the cruise.

To all: What are the excursion plans for everyone?

Unfortunately we're not all same sex couples, they are both mixed sex

The cruise to South America was on Star Princess, there's quite a lengthy review on my signature if you have 20 minutes of your life you don't want back :)

We are flying home the same day the boat docks and then back to our jobs on Tuesday morning. Getting this length of time off was a killer. We'll both travel down to London for a quick overnight before our flight straight from the office; Urgh!

We haven't booked any excursions yet. We have been too busy / lazy to really look!

We won't tell your friends you said "Unfortunately". LOL 18 days I suppose is a long time to be away from work. We have non-traditional jobs which are a blessing when this sort of thing pops up. Praying for 6 sunny calm sea days on the crossing so I can recover from schepping the crew around all the ports! I'll need the two days post cruise just to prepare for real life integration.

We are off to Florda for the week tomorrow because we are sadistic and like to sweat a lot. Diet starts upon return or I'm not getting on the boat. Yikes!

Hey Guys. Just back from a week in Florida where it is cooler than it is in Massachusetts! There were no ships in Port Everglades when we were in Ft Lauderdale yesterday... they are all in Europe waiting for us! We were actually in Palm beach but moved down to Ft L so that I could do some work there on our last night. Tried the steakhouse at the W hotel... save your money. A little splurge at the Ritz Carlton became a big Gift as they upgraded us to a full suite for the one night... WOO HOO!!! (We paid for their cheapest room BTW) Now on to really focusing on this cruise (And paying final Payment in a few days). We have guaranteed Mini-Suits but have yet to be assigned cabins. Looking forward to seeing a number next to our names soon.

Hope you are all well and getting psyched for this trip as well.:D

Archived