Moeriki Boulders Dunedin NZ

robinph

Has anyone done a tour of the Moeriki Boulders, and is it worth doing for interest sake , and who did you book through. Thanks Robin:)

The ships will all offer a tour to Moeraki Boulders, but it's only about 75kms (1 hour) drive from Dunedin. My suggestion would be to hire a car for the day and run up there. It is very interesting to see and walk up to and around the boulders on the beach. Then use the rest of the day to drive around Dunedin. The steepest street in the world, the railway station and if time permits, drive out to Larnach castle on the Otagao Peninsula. Car hire companies will probably provide delivery and drop off at the ship.

The ships will all offer a tour to Moeraki Boulders, but it's only about 75kms (1 hour) drive from Dunedin. My suggestion would be to hire a car for the day and run up there. It is very interesting to see and walk up to and around the boulders on the beach. Then use the rest of the day to drive around Dunedin. The steepest street in the world, the railway station and if time permits, drive out to Larnach castle on the Otagao Peninsula. Car hire companies will probably provide delivery and drop off at the ship.

Thanks Stanc61, we have done all the other things last year when we cruised to NZ, I thought it might have been somewhere different to go, have had a price of $110p/p for a 6 hour tour from D Tours, but was just wondering if it was worth it or not. We don't ever book tours through the ship, they are just too expensive. Is there much to see along the way? robin

Google the boulders/images and you will see them. they are quite pretty but it would be way cheaper to hire a car and drive up than $220(particularly if you could find another 2 people to car share). its about a 45 minute drive. there isnt much to see on the way a couple of small towns and a lot of seaside. I live in Dunedin.

Google the boulders/images and you will see them. they are quite pretty but it would be way cheaper to hire a car and drive up than $220(particularly if you could find another 2 people to car share). its about a 45 minute drive. there isnt much to see on the way a couple of small towns and a lot of seaside. I live in Dunedin.

Ok thanks Sheeps daughter, thats pretty much what I thought, might give them a miss, can you suggest anything else to do in Dunedin in a day, as my previous post, we have done a fairly extensive tour of Dunedin Highlights plus Otago Peninsular, natures wonders, Lanarch Castle last year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Robin

Its quite a good idea to get a car, if you did go to Moeraki Oamaru is 25 minutes further on which has an old victorian town centre. In Dunedin our favourite thing is the walk to tunnel beach, its quite a steep walk back up so about a 15 minute walk down and 40 mins back up. William cargill built a tunnel so his wife and daughter could sunbathe on the beach(many years ago). its about a 10 min drive out of dunedinphoto.php?fbid=304075723053&set=a.302357513053.181060.560353053

Archived