Cave tubing on our own?

cruiser4four

When we visited Ocho Rios, Jamaica last year we took a taxi and went to Dunns River Falls on our own, without an excursion group. Is it possible to do the same in Belize with the cave tubing? Is it possible to take a taxi to the area and then rent the tubes? Or is the excursion company the only way to go?

Also, how long is the cave tubing excursion with one of the companies? How long is the drive to the spot, walk to the river, and the tube ride itself?

Forgive me for all the questions and thank you for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

When we visited Ocho Rios, Jamaica last year we took a taxi and went to Dunns River Falls on our own, without an excursion group. Is it possible to do the same in Belize with the cave tubing? Is it possible to take a taxi to the area and then rent the tubes? Or is the excursion company the only way to go?

Also, how long is the cave tubing excursion with one of the companies? How long is the drive to the spot, walk to the river, and the tube ride itself?

Forgive me for all the questions and thank you for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

Belize is rougher then Jamica IMHO :eek: I would do the cave tubing with a tour company.

The ride to the caves for tubing is a good 45 minutes. Once you're there I don't believe you can just rent tubes. We went through Major Tom when we went, a great time. If we go again I'd make sure we included a tour with ziplining.

Regarding the last posters comment about Belize vs. Jamaica. In 4 trips to Belize, exploring the town, enjoying the sights, etc. I was never once been offered drugs of any kind. It's happened to me so many times in Jamaica I've lost count and don't plan on going back. In case you may think I have "the look" of someone who might buy drugs, my profile is a 53 slightly overweight man, with grey in his beard and a look of total disinterest going into just one more trinket shop.

The ride to the river, as previously noted is at least 45 minutes. Since you must have a guide to go through the caves, you need to coordinate that in advance, you can't just go free-float down the river on your own.

We just got back from a great trip with NCQ Adventures who specializes in much smaller groups (we had 10 in a van and two guides). Nacho picked us up, took us to the river, coordinated a guide for us (Carlos and Avery were awesome) and treated us to lunch before we got back to town. This is one excursion I've not ever heard of anyone doing on their own without a tour guide of some kind.

Belize City isn't a safe city--even the Belizians will tell you that. You are far better off finding a tour guide you trust and with whom you've worked out the tour in advance.

Archived