Ship shore excursion v. Private Tour

Avery

We're sailing on the Carnival Freedom April 23. I see two excursions that appear to be comparable. One is Carnival's Shore excursion entitled See Antigua by Sea, about $99.00 per person. The other is a private tour offered by Adventure Antigua. the tour is called the Eco-Tour - about the same price.

Does anyone have an opinion which they would choose?

Hello fellow Clevelander! I would recommend the Eco-Tour with Adventure Antigua. Search this board for many reviews, all of them good. The Eco-Tour is limited to 25 passengers and includes snorkeling at a reef, hiking on Bird Island , a great lunch, and is the only tour to go to Hell's Gate where you can climb the coral formation, snorkel, or chill in a natural whirlpool. We've done it 4 times and have also done the Extreme and the daysail offered by them. As far as I know the other excursion will have more people on a catamaran that just sails around the island, can't say anything for sure about it as I've only heard about it from others.

Ernie

We do private tours every chance we get. More personable and your in control as to length of time to stay at any stop. There is also a limit as to how many are in your group.

With the cruise ship you will be in a herd. No control, no say to stop for a picture. Usually shorter tour.

We loved adventure Antigua on our last tour with them.

Hi Ernie:

Small world. I'm an active member of Cruise Critic. First time I've run into a fellow Clevelander (except when sailing with friends). Where in Cleveland? We're from Lyndhurst. Grew up in Cleveland Heights.

Hi Ernie:

Small world. I'm an active member of Cruise Critic. First time I've run into a fellow Clevelander (except when sailing with friends). Where in Cleveland? We're from Lyndhurst. Grew up in Cleveland Heights.

Very small, we live in Cleveland Heights. Graduated from Heights in '69.

Ernie

Very small, we live in Cleveland Heights. Graduated from Heights in '69.

Ernie

Small world it is.

I live on Hampshire Rd, in the first apartment behind Coventry from about 1941-1954, Graduated from Height in '54 and later moved to Los Angeles and recently retire to a small town about half way between LA & SF. Have never had a burger that compared to Mawby's since!

On to private tours

We just got back (Caribbean Princess 12/12-12/19)

We used "Richard" of Ranking Taxi Service (268) 786-4376 email is nancyranking@hotmail.com.

Did a private tour, stopped at the zip-line, saw the old fort, poor part of the island rich parts of the island, multi-million dollar yachts etc etc.

We paid $100 for the day.

My wife and I are high school sweethearts. Met in Mr. Byer's English class in 10th grade at Cleveland Heights High in February, 1961. Just celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary and in February will celebrate 50 years together!

Funny you should mention Mawby's. Karen and I would go to Mawby's at Cedar and Lee every day for lunch. Oh boy. Just thinking about the hamburger, fries and REAL milk shakes makes me drool. Back then, no one heard of the word cholesterol.

But, who can forget Manner's Big Boy platters. Saturday night consisted of a movie at the Fairmount theater (at Fairmount Circle) and a Manners Big Boy Platter at the Manners at Northfield and Van Aken or at Mayfield and Warrensville.

Boy, I think Barbara Steisand should be singing "Memories" in the background.

Funny you should mention Mawby's. Karen and I would go to Mawby's at Cedar and Lee every day for lunch. Oh boy. Just thinking about the hamburger, fries and REAL milk shakes makes me drool. Back then, no one heard of the word cholesterol.

But, who can forget Manner's Big Boy platters. Saturday night consisted of a movie at the Fairmount theater (at Fairmount Circle) and a Manners Big Boy Platter at the Manners at Northfield and Van Aken or at Mayfield and Warrensville.

Ahh yes I remember them well :D And don't forget Geraci's and the old Aurora Spaghetti.

Ernie

Let's have a reunion...on Tortola yet! erniesband - Geraci's is still open and in the same location on Warrensville Road and Silsby! If you watch the food channel, Geraci's was featured a few months ago on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. You can still get Aurora Spaghetti sauce at various grocery stores in Cleveland.

Thanks for all the advise. Other postings suggest taking a catamaran excursion or the ferry to the Baths. Anyone have a recommendation?

• 2 weeks later...

I would echo the sentiments of what others have posted. We always go with a private tour over a comparable ship excursion because of the more personalized treatment and more bang for the buck. We just did the Adventure Antigua Eco-tour. It was very fun. The short hike to the top of Great Bird Island was enjoyable and the climb through the cave at Hell's Gate was awesome. The guides were friendly and very informative. The boat ride was fast and fun. My only complaints were that we didn't see many exotic animals (except for the pelicans) and that we did very little snorkeling -- only one time and didn't see anything spectacular.

Scott

Archived