which snorkle trip to choose?

fd851

I am trying to choose between two excursions, and am looking for pros/cons/opinions from previous experience:

SeaHorse Sailing & Snorkeling: leaves at 9 or 1, $38 Per Person, 3 1/2 hours, sailboat with refreshments.

Rainbow Reef Snorkle Tour: Leaves at 2, $29 per person, 2 1/2 hours, no refreshments.

I believe both end up in the Athol Island area, and both provide snorkle equipment. Please include any references to the sea worthy nature of the boats, as I have seen some boats in the Bahamas that I would not care to sail upon!

Thanks,

I am trying to choose between two excursions, and am looking for pros/cons/opinions from previous experience:

SeaHorse Sailing & Snorkeling: leaves at 9 or 1, $38 Per Person, 3 1/2 hours, sailboat with refreshments.

Rainbow Reef Snorkle Tour: Leaves at 2, $29 per person, 2 1/2 hours, no refreshments.

I believe both end up in the Athol Island area, and both provide snorkle equipment. Please include any references to the sea worthy nature of the boats, as I have seen some boats in the Bahamas that I would not care to sail upon!

Thanks,

In my opinion, Seahorse is a better option. Although both go to Athol Island, Rainbow only goes to the sea garden, which is nice, but not as nice as other reefs in the area. The sea gardens is protected area and easy to get to in a short ride.. not bad for beginners

Seahorse goes to a variety of spots, depending on the weather, tides and other conditions. I always love this tour.. never disappointed.

You can snorkel right off the beach at Coco cay. We saw a huge barracuda, thick schools of fish under the lifeguard tower, tons of angel, parrot and triggerfish, a few rays. There is a sunken plane wreck there with a few platforms to climb up and sit on to rest. Nothing really more than 10-20 feet deep. The water was crystal clear. We brought our own masks, snorkels, and fins. My mask was leaking and the lifeguard had a spare for me. I think the rental charge for everything is like $20 something pp. Saw some groups of people taking turns with the equip with no problems. You have basically all day at this island and can do this for an hour or two then just hang out on the lounge chairs or hammocks or do jet skis or other stuff.

We ended up checking out the graycliffe hotel(very nice), hard rock (clean place), and ended up at some greek place for lunch in nassau and walking around for an hour or two. Was suppose to meet some friends for a drink at senor frogs, but it was very obnoxious and smelly like a sewer in there. Walked right out. Got asked numerous times if I wanted some cuban cigars, then offered stronger and stronger things near the straw market. Watch out for the "free" necklaces. They all want a donation! Did not want to pay the $120 pp for Atlantis. Did not care for nassau at all, still the same as it was 15 years ago, imo. It was nice to get back to the ship!

In my opinion, Seahorse is a better option. Although both go to Athol Island, Rainbow only goes to the sea garden, which is nice, but not as nice as other reefs in the area. The sea gardens is protected area and easy to get to in a short ride.. not bad for beginners

Seahorse goes to a variety of spots, depending on the weather, tides and other conditions. I always love this tour.. never disappointed.

We went on one of the Seahorse excursions, listed as Catamaran Sail & Snorkel, and had a great time. It was initially a rough and blustery day, but that actually added to the fun. Going out we were going into the wind and surf, so the people (including us) up front on the starboard side, were getting waves crashing over the bow and up through the webbing. Lots of fun, with the younger kids right up front just waiting to get splashed. I will caution one thing however, that you do not see listed in any of the excursion brochures. There is a fairly strong current out there, and it will carry you away from the boat if you don't keep an eye on where you are. My wife got tired about halfway through the stop, but the two young girls, who were 9 or 10, both seemed to handle it okay. I do not want to dissuade anyone from going, as it is a wonderful time, this is just a caution, and something to consider, for those who may not be that strong a swimmer, but otherwise, it is a wonderful experience, with lots of really good things to see.

The link is for our Nassau photos, which includes quite a few from the excursion. We are quite seriously considering doing this same cruise (and excursions) again this summer.

Archived