Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]Pennyscandy[/U]: Don't you love it when you find a garment (bonus when it's on sale!) that brings an outfit together! It warms the hearts of all CCFs:)![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Yes, the dining room tends to be cool. Do you notice that the men are in long pants and a shirt w/ sleeves; sometimes even a jacket and tie...and we females are in cute little sundresses or a sleeveless top?? No wonder we're in need of a cover-up![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Finding a Caribbean-cruise-appropriate top with long sleeves isn't easy, but when it happens, buy it![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][U]snowbirds2[/U]: Have a wonderful cruise with lots of happy memories! And we look forward to reading all about the clothes other cruisers are wearing and what packing advice worked.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Photo of New Dress: Tomorrow I will try on the dress and ask DH to snap a photo. The shoes and jewelry are packed but easy to retrieve.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm back!! I'm still trying to get myself organized and back on track after getting home!

I will report, however, that my packing turned out very well! I didn't forget anything, and I only had two t-shirts, one tank top, and one pair of shorts that didn't get worn. Partly that was because it was cold and rainy at embarkation and the first day of the cruise, so I was in jeans and long sleeves instead of cruise-wear those days.

Now I've gotta get everything washed and put up before I make a work related trip to Florida next week!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]curlymason[/U]: Welcome Back! The most depressing time is a couple days after returning from a cruise - clothes, etc., are washed, dry cleaned and put back. Mail & messages are up to date...now what???[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Lucky you - going to Florida (even if it is work-related), so you won't have that post-cruise letdown:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]What was the formal night attire? Were there any cruisers who were always perfectly dressed? or always not so perfectly dressed?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Your packing strategy paid off! Much better to bring back a few unworn items than to have forgotten to pack a necessity:)![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Formal night was surprisingly formal. I saw a few people in more 'Sunday' dresses, but there was a lot of bling too. Lots of dressy cowboy hats, too, since we were sailing from Galveston.

Casual nights, there were A LOT of jeans, complete with big belt buckles, a few guys in shorts and t-shirts, but also a lot of nicely dressed folks.

[quote name='curlymason']I'm back!! I'm still trying to get myself organized and back on track after getting home!

I will report, however, that my packing turned out very well! I didn't forget anything, and I only had two t-shirts, one tank top, and one pair of shorts that didn't get worn. Partly that was because it was cold and rainy at embarkation and the first day of the cruise, so I was in jeans and long sleeves instead of cruise-wear those days.

Now I've gotta get everything washed and put up before I make a work related trip to Florida next week![/quote]

Welcome back! Can't wait to see photos when you have time. Congrats on coming back with just a few clean clothes & not forgetting anything! Edited by CactusGirly

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]curlymason[/U]: Interesting that leaving from Texas = cowboy hats, jeans & big belt buckles...but it makes sense since that's how many Texans dress.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]On cruises from Miami, I've seen Latin ladies dress up more - high heels with everything, more jewelry, always make-up. And Latin men also have a good style sense.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]The only other ports we've sailed from are Baltimore and New Jersey, and no distinctive styles were noticed.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Anyone else have a comment on the Style differing, depending on departure port?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]It was a beautiful sunny day so DH decided my New Dress photo should be on the deck. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D353%3B%3C48879335nu0mrj[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='indiana71']It was a beautiful sunny day so DH decided my New Dress photo should be on the deck. [IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D353%3B%3C48879335nu0mrj[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOVE IT! I can see why you just had to have it, it's very pretty and perfect for a cruise! Edited by RedInLove

I think our biggest style hurdle will be the weather, since we leave from NJ in early March. It could be cold, though with the mild winter we had it's anyone's guess what weather will be going and coming back. I expect to see more pants, jeans, sweaters, coats, etc. vs. cute sundresses, shorts, tanks, etc.

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D353%3B%3C48879335nu0mrj[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

You look gorgeous in that! Love the neckline. I would have scooped that dress up in a heartbeat too!

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]curlymason[/U]: Interesting that leaving from Texas = cowboy hats, jeans & big belt buckles...but it makes sense since that's how many Texans dress.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]On cruises from Miami, I've seen Latin ladies dress up more - high heels with everything, more jewelry, always make-up. And Latin men also have a good style sense.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]The only other ports we've sailed from are Baltimore and New Jersey, and no distinctive styles were noticed.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Anyone else have a comment on the Style differing, depending on departure port?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]It was a beautiful sunny day so DH decided my New Dress photo should be on the deck. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D353%3B%3C48879335nu0mrj[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
Very cute dress! I love the shoes also!

Today is my last day of packing. We fly out tomorrow morning for FLL, and our cruise departs Sunday! :D

I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for all their helpful advice and tips, and Indiana in particular for starting the great thread and keeping it positive and fun. This has been a great place to come for inspiration, ideas and a few giggles too! :p

Thank you fellow CCFs! I will come back and post photos when we return!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue]Thanks to all for the compliments on The New Dress. Just trying it on made me feel better:cool:! Even though winter has been milder than usual, it isn't warm enough for short sleeves and summer-weight dresses![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]The shoes in the photo are from PayLess and aren't made as well as Clark's & other brands...but they are comfortable and won't be worn for excursions or lots of walking.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][U]CactusGirly[/U]: You are going to have a fabulous cruise! We look forward to hearing all about it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]I just copied your Checklist from another Fashion & Beauty thread (Cruise Prep Countdown). What a comprehensive and thorough list! I made only a couple changes for myself...and then thought it would be a good idea to share with other CCFs![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][COLOR=purple][FONT=Curlz MT]Pre-Cruise Check List[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[B][U][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/FONT][/U][/B]
[FONT=Arial][B][U][FONT=Arial]2 weeks out: [/FONT][/U][/B][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
[LIST]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Finalize packing list [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Try on all outfits for cruise & note which jewelry & shoes goes with each on spreadsheet [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Launder / dry-clean / tailor anything that needs it [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Get hair cut / colored [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Make appts for spray-tan, pedicure, manicure, & bikini & brow wax next week [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Assemble packing station with suitcase, carry-on, toiletry bag & handbag(s) [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Necessary cash (tipping, etc.) ready[/FONT][/FONT]
[/LIST][FONT=Arial][B][U][FONT=Arial]1 week out:[/FONT][/U][/B][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/FONT]
[LIST]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Pack all undies, bras, workout wear, swimwear, socks, shoes, jewelry & miscellaneous items[/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Put one change of clothes in carry-on. [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Pack all other clothing in suitcase, and all other carry-on items that you can (check them off your list) in the carry-on [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Make 2 copies of your passports. One stays with a friend or relative back home, one goes in your suitcase. [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Fill any prescriptions you have (enough for the trip plus a few days extra). [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Pick up dry cleaning and/or items from tailor[/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Purchase any extra items you need from your list & pack those [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Hold mail[/FONT][/FONT]
[/LIST][FONT=Arial][B][U][FONT=Arial]2 or 3 Days from leaving:[/FONT][/U][/B][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/FONT]
[LIST]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Bikini & Brow Wax [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Send emergency contact (Shore to Ship, flight info, etc.) details to relative or friend at home.[/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Call credit card companies and let them know you will be on a cruise & what countries you will be visiting, so they don't shut down your account. [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Charge camera and other electronics[/FONT][/FONT]
[/LIST][FONT=Arial][B][U][FONT=Arial]1 Day from leaving:[/FONT][/U][/B][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/FONT]
[LIST]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Manicure, Pedicure[/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Finish packing [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Post list on mirror in bathroom with final items to put in carry-on bag for morning [/FONT][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Check for critical items: Phone, Camera + charger, Passports, Driver's License, Boarding Docs, electronics chargers[/FONT][/FONT]
[/LIST][B][U][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Day Leaving:[/FONT][/FONT][/U][/B]
[FONT=Arial][B][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Timers on[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B][/B][/FONT] Edited by indiana71

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]curlymason[/U]: Interesting that leaving from Texas = cowboy hats, jeans & big belt buckles...but it makes sense since that's how many Texans dress.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D353%3B%3C48879335nu0mrj[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Perfect for a cruise. Love your accessories. They do make an outfit.
Great job on putting the outfit together.

OK, so after returning 3 dresses and putting 1 back in the closet and pulling 2 new ones out of the closet and sending those to alterations, I have found what should be my 3rd and final formal dress. Found it today at Macy's, need a tuck on the neckline to tighten it just a smidge, otherwise, it fits well and is very comfortable! I was in Macy's just 2 days ago and this dress was not there then, so it must be new! Glad I went back to look!

I'm thinking my silver heels will go great with this one?

[quote name='CactusGirly']Indiana - you are a woman after my own heart... 13 bras, one to match each color top. That made my day! :p

Yes, God Bless the DH's who put up with our fashion compulsion.

We are planning to coordinate for one of the formal nights. DH is bringing his black suit, and he will bring a tie that coordinates with the burgundy dress I am wearing one night, (the other formal night my dress is black, so he can wear whatever color tie he likes).[/QUOTE]

My bra collection is rather embarrassing. I'm in the 30's at least. I have a bra drawer, organized by color. :)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]RedInLove[/U]: The photo shows silver accessories and I agree that silver heels would be the perfect choice! Don't you love it when an outfit comes together - finally!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]I pay attention to fashion photos since professionals put the outfits together. Jewelry, shoes, etc. helps me choose.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][U]momtoabowhead[/U]: A CCF after my own heart! All my bras are in one drawer - and arranged by color (light to dark, then prints). DH says it looks like a drawer full of Easter eggs:p...and my size isn't MUCH bigger!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]RedInLove[/U]: The photo shows silver accessories and I agree that silver heels would be the perfect choice! Don't you love it when an outfit comes together - finally!!!
I pay attention to fashion photos since professionals put the outfits together. Jewelry, shoes, etc. helps me choose.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I often do that as well, look at how the magazines and all put outfits together, what jewelry to use, and try to do the same. It gives me a lot of ideas! Edited by RedInLove

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]Corvette Girl[/U]: I LOVE your Fashion Show idea. Girlfriends, wine and munchies are the perfect "accessories" for a CCF wanting feedback on potential outfits:cool::)![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Thank you for sharing. Maybe a trend will start and a new in-home party industry will be born![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Indiana, I Love your dress it is so classy looking. I can't remember whether you saidwhere you found it or not but would you mind telling me again. My brain is still on vacation. It seems to fo on vacation alot and leaves me home!:eek:

Cactus girly, I really liked your checklist. I have copied it and am sending it out to all the newbee cruisers we have going on our cruise with us in Dec. Thank you so much for posting it.

Hope everyone has a great week.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]TNGALOHA[/U]: My dress came from a consignment shop in a small town on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. The label is missing so don't know who I will be "wearing" to dinner one night![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Speaking of "Who are you wearing?" - What did you think of the pre-Oscar runway fashions? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Here are my thoughts: Hardly any necklaces and not much else in the way of bling...Many luxury clutches...Lots of white gowns but I liked the colors more.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]TNGALOHA[/U]: My dress came from a consignment shop in a small town on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. The label is missing so don't know who I will be "wearing" to dinner one night![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Psst... you know they say dresses with no labels are couture![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]So if anyone asks.. don't say it is missing a tag, say"it's couture"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
;)

So I dropped the last dress off at the seamstress today, and everything should be ready for me on Thursday! I do have to finalize my jewelry after I get everything back and also help DH pair up some shirts/ties for the formal nights, so I'll probably be putting most of it on. I will try to take some pictures of my completed outfits and post them here if we have time. We leave first thing Monday morning!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue][U]two4me[/U]: I will take your advice and say "It's couture!" I love it;)![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b][U]RedInLove[/U]: The anticipation for you at this point has got to be crazy! But you will be ready, knowing all the pre-planning saved you mucho time when you would rather be having ship fun...rather than looking for something to wear![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]Please post photos:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]I picked up a dress from my amazing alterations lady yesterday. It's a halter-style that had elastic across the top of the back that just didn't look good. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#483d8b]I will try the dress on and see if it is photo-worthy.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]