Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I always make a table with each day of the cruise, from embarkation to debarkation, taking into consideration any shore excursions or trips that will result in excess sweating. I split each day into morning, afternoon, and evening, knowing I will wear at LEAST two outfits per day. Then, I take all my favorite summery, light, pretty, dressy -ier clothes and put them together.

This always helps a great deal, because it can help prevent overpacking. For the past several cruises, we haven't flown (gotta love living close to the Port of Baltimore), so packing isn't a huge issue, but it still cuts down on the extra baggage, literally :D

Making the list, say, 3 months in advance, also helps if you realize there are several clothing items you need to shop for before the cruise. How handy :o

Also, once I know what *clothes* I'm bringing, I can start to narrow down my shoe selections. I've been known to take 9 - 12 pairs of shoes on a 7-day cruise.

Of course, I also include all the essentials on my table: hats, underclothes, jackets, wraps, nightclothes, lounge/active wear :p

My DH always teases me about THE LIST, but it's become a vacation ritual that helps keep me sane until the actual vacation...

I read your post and had to laugh because my DH teases me about THE LIST as well. Last cruise was a family cruise with our 3 kids along and that "darn list" came in awful handy. Each child had their outfits in gallon ziploc bags with their names & day of the week on it, no one was searching for anything, and DH was so happy we were so organized! I think he secretly wished his outfits were pre-planned in day of the week bags too. :)

I found this dress online, DH loves all the colors in it. I tried on a similar dress today in different colors, it fit pretty well and only needed to be hemmed, so I think this one will be fine since I am just under 5ft4in.

Love the colors in this dress!

How do you insert an image like this instead of as an attachment?

(ETA: quoted wrong post)

I use photobucket.com. First you upload your photo or image to photobucket, which is a free site to use. Once it is uploaded and sized the way you want it (usually "medium" or smaller) you click "share", it will give you a choice of link codes, you want the code that starts with ...

You copy that entire code, and then paste it into the text of your message, wherever you would like your photo to be.

I use photobucket.com. First you upload your photo or image to photobucket, which is a free site to use. Once it is uploaded and sized the way you want it (usually "medium" or smaller) you click "share", it will give you a choice of link codes, you want the code that starts with ...

You copy that entire code, and then paste it into the text of your message, wherever you would like your photo to be.

Thanks!!

RedInLove - saw these today & thought of you! The price isn't bad and if you have Prime on Amazon.com you can have them in two days! :)

shoes-1.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sizzle-Coloriffics-Womens-Broadway-Sandal/dp/B002L17BFS/ref=sr_1_5?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1328392610&sr=1-5

Cactusgirly, I ordered these shoes! DH really likes them too. They are 4inch heals, which I don't usually wear heels that high (all my 4inch shoes have a 1inch platform so the 'incline' on my feet is just 3in) as they will make me taller than DH (he's got 2.5in on me), but he doesn't care. I think they might work with a couple other dresses I have as well, so I'm hoping they are just right when I get them! I won't wear them all day, they'll pretty much be for dinner so I think I can handle walking in them if I hold on to DH's arm on stairs, etc.

Those are super cute shoes!!

I actually started putting stuff in the suitcase today! I leave Friday, so I want to be totally packed by Wednesday other than a few last minute things. I take a completely separate set of toiletries, and I started on that list last night so that can all be done ahead of time.

I'm so excited!!!!

Cactusgirly, I ordered these shoes! DH really likes them too. They are 4inch heals, which I don't usually wear heels that high (all my 4inch shoes have a 1inch platform so the 'incline' on my feet is just 3in) as they will make me taller than DH (he's got 2.5in on me), but he doesn't care. I think they might work with a couple other dresses I have as well, so I'm hoping they are just right when I get them! I won't wear them all day, they'll pretty much be for dinner so I think I can handle walking in them if I hold on to DH's arm on stairs, etc.

Woo hoo! Yes ma'am, those are "bring me a drink shoes", vs. get my own drink shoes. :)

Those are super cute shoes!!

I actually started putting stuff in the suitcase today! I leave Friday, so I want to be totally packed by Wednesday other than a few last minute things. I take a completely separate set of toiletries, and I started on that list last night so that can all be done ahead of time.

I'm so excited!!!!

Friday?! How exciting! Only 4 more wake-ups for you until vacation!

CactusGirly: What an inspiration you are:)! Packing kids outfits in labeled gallon ZipLoc bags is a genius idea!!

I'm sure your DH was very pleased that you were organized and created The List!

Thanks! That is quite a compliment coming from the Goddess of packing, Indiana ;) It worked out really well, especially since we have two girls who wear the same size and have many of the same outfits.

Woo hoo! Yes ma'am, those are "bring me a drink shoes", vs. get my own drink shoes. :)

HAHA!!! Yes, they are those kind of shoes! I will be sure to post a picture of them when I get my hands on them next weekend!

And I have to say...

GO PATS!!!

Question about hair, and maybe I need to start a new thread. I get my hair colored, and I'm in desperate need of a touch-up so I'll be seeing my stylist before we cruise. How bad is the pool chlorine or the ocean on color treated hair?

Edited by RedInLove

I have red highlights right now, but I'm thinking of going to a rich brown - not very dark, but a good full, saturated-looking color. I think in part I'm more concerned of having it colored so soon before going. But I can probably get in next week, which will be 3 weeks out from our cruise. And it will give me time to play with my hair to figure out what to do with it on formal nights! I don't have to 'do my hair' for work because I work outside all day and usually have a hat on, so it never looks good at work. The last wedding I went to in 2010, my hair was longer and I went to the salon to get it styled anyway because all I know how to do is a ponytail! And I don't want to pay the salon prices aboard the ship for 3 formal nights.

I can't remember the last time I swam. We don't swim in chlorine very often at all, and I rarely swim in the ocean in New England (too cold!) so most water I'm in (and it's rare) is the small pond my MIL has a summer home on; and in the ocean Jamaica 6.5 years ago. So I think it's just been so long that I don't really have an experience to tell me what it might do to my hair. I do like the idea of a detangler, and maybe something to protect my scalp for when I don't have a hat on.

Thanks ladies!

I have highlights and my stylist told me to wet my hair throughly with distilled or drinking water before going in the pool. I try to get in our pool every day in the summer and my hair was looking like straw. She also said get some cheap conditioner and slather it on after swimming. Then use my reg. shampoo and conditioner when I shower. Works for me.

CCFs are all about our cruise clothes, but I can tell from recent posts, that we care about protection from the sun.

The 3 Things That MUST Go on Every Cruise:

sunscreen

sunglasses

a hat

Yes! I learned my lesson on my first cruise. I FRIED myself on the first day. It was pretty cute...the cheap sunblock I had on stuck to the lounge chair, so when I rolled over, the backs of my legs got a nice striped sunburn.

Now I'm a fan of Bullfrog sunblock. Even with my lily white Casper skin, I don't burn with Bullfrog. I'm careful to sunblock my scalp too!

Yes! I learned my lesson on my first cruise. I FRIED myself on the first day. It was pretty cute...the cheap sunblock I had on stuck to the lounge chair, so when I rolled over, the backs of my legs got a nice striped sunburn.

Now I'm a fan of Bullfrog sunblock. Even with my lily white Casper skin, I don't burn with Bullfrog. I'm careful to sunblock my scalp too!

Thanks for the suggestion of Bullfrog sunblock, I'm going to try that. I got sunburned around my eyes while in Athens/Turkey. It was the worse feeling, and my eyes were swollen shut.

Enjoy your upcoming vacation.

I lobster-ized myself on my last cruise: had a horrible line where my shorts ended, everything north of the line was snow white and everything south was brick red!

I also managed to give myself a wicked sunburn on my posterior :eek: Made for some very painful sitting down.