Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Gotta love Dillard's shoe sales!!

They are up to 70% off right now!! Winning!!

Wow! What an amazing deal! They look fabulous and will be perfect for your cruise! :)

Thank you!!! I couldn't turn them down after I put them on. The calf skin is soft and supple and they are the most comfortable heels I've ever tried on! And since I have an all white outfit (gauze off the shoulder top and pants) I think they'll go marvelously with it :D <3

Sent from my Commodore 64 using MS/DOS

Anyone familiar with Naturalizer shoes that could comment on the fit -- runs small' date=' narrow, etc?[/quote']

Nice sandals - now they look really comfortable and stable! My preferred shoes have always been Naturalizers. I like the fact they come in half sizes and different widths and have found their sizing and comfort factor to be pretty consistent. I have wide feet and their 91/2 D width always seem to fit me. Once in a while depending on the style I might get away with a 9 D but usually the wide 91/2 is perfect. I could walk all day in them! Think I'll check these out!

We have only cruised on Royal Caribbean to the Caribbean & Bermuda. Whether one of the older ships or brand new Oasis, formal dress was the same.

When we must fly to the embarkation port, DH rents a tux onboard(to save luggage space). Other times he takes sport jackets, dress shirts, ties. Men are seen in both - probably less in tuxes.

I've never worn a "gown" and have only seen them occasionally. Any cocktail dress looks nice. I also have off-white dress pants that I pair with a gold lacy blouse, shimmery earrings and gold heels.

Does anyone else try several shades of nail polish before settling on the perfect color that will co-ordinate with every outfit? A shimmery very pale Sally Hansen Lavender Marquis looked like a winner. It's more pink than lavender and with all the bright tropical clothes, it looked boring - but did stay on without chipping for a week.

Earlier today I put on Confetti (never used that brand before) Last Dance. The color is a light raspberry and it isn't "pearlescent". I think it might be what I'm looking for!:) ...if it stays nice for a week.

Reds and browns, IMHO, are best for fall and winter. My outfits are mostly shades of bright pink, yellow, orange, etc.

No I don't try on different polish. I am a manicurist and use Shellac. I do a French (o. K. I have another manicurist do it) and it lasts for 2 weeks. I love the clean look and it lasts the whole time

No I don't try on different polish. I am a manicurist and use Shellac. I do a French (o. K. I have another manicurist do it) and it lasts for 2 weeks. I love the clean look and it lasts the whole time

I will probably get a French manicure for our cruise. Even though I don't know outfits and things like that, I am too much of a perfectionist to pick a color. What if it didn't match perfectly with every single outfit?! (I know, I'm crazy ;)). I am looking forward to taking a girls day right before he cruise to get our nails done and probably last minute shopping. It will help get everyone else as excited as I am already!

Thank you!

As for the wedge' date=' it would have to be pretty low. Basically I need a closed heel, a strap across the instep, and a stable heel base no higher than 3/4". Not asking for much, am I? :rolleyes:

But I may have found one. http://www.footsmart.com/P-Naturalizer-Womens-Joslin-Fisherman-Sandals-78910.aspx It's not wildly glamourous, but better than most that fit my criteria. Best of all, it's available in multiple colors from other sites.

Anyone familiar with Naturalizer shoes that could comment on the fit -- runs small, narrow, etc?[/quote']

Have you tried Zappos? They have a huge variety of shoes and you can see them on a model. Plus the customer comments are a big help. And free shipping both ways, and their customer service is #1. Good luck on the shoe shopping. Loved your dresses.

RazorbackBelle08: Your shoes are so-o-o glamorous - how lucky for you to find great heels that are comfortable...not to mention a great price:)!

Li'lImp: With all the suggestions here, you will find shoes that are perfect! Zappos has always been a winner for me, and yes, their comments are very helpful. Plus: overnight shipping and free returns if you aren't satisfied!

Since you are a manicurist, please advise me!

I got my finger slammed in a door back in October. The nail is finally starting to come off, but the sides are still attached. I don't want to rip it off because I know it'll hurt and am afraid it will make the new nail grow in weird (I can see the new nail already). What should I do? How long will it take before I have a new nail? I'm so sad that in 6 weeks when I go on my cruise I'll have a horrible looking middle nail *cries*

And thank you, Indiana! I thought they were incredibly glamorous. I'm in looooove with them... for $50 who wouldn't be? LOL!

Edited by RazorbackBelle08

Yes, I'm looking forward to DS and his family coming this weekend. They'll be in 2 spare bedrooms, 1 of which will become The Cruise Room Monday:cool:. (Funny thing about being an empty-nester - the bedrooms formerly occupied by children, become "spare rooms", very convenient when Cruise Clothes Gathering begins:)).

We had dinner last evening with friends who have never cruised and decided to come along on our upcoming adventure. Carol (the DW) asked several questions RE clothes, formal night, etc. Mark (the DH) didn't seem the least bit concerned about attire...the typical couple. Guys wait (generally speaking) until a week before. Then they take an hour to pull clothes out of drawers, closets.

BUT - Fashionistas start The Process much earlier. There's just so much more for us to think about - jewelry? evening bag or not? shoes for formal night? shoes for excursions? shoes for the beach?...

Anyway - I will post my progress beginning Monday afternoon...

DH & I joined the local YMCA in early December and haven't missed many days of working out. I met w/ a personal trainer twice and learned some good stuff, i.e., working your core is the best way to work your abs. So I walk/run on the treadmill for a mile, then spend 30-40 minutes on cardio and/or strengthening and also some aerobics. An hour in the afternoon and we're back home.

The scale hasn't shown much of a change...but those nasty love handles aren't as noticeable and my thighs are a little less jiggly.

Best of All: After my yearly physical last week, my test results show a 24 point lowering of cholesterol and my doc says LDL is "unbelievably good":).

So...in the long run, it's not the jiggles and tight abs that are the only benefit of working out!

There are always folks in the cruise ship gym or walking on the track. I've never been interested before...

QUESTION: Do you work out while cruising? Do you wear the same clothes every time? :confused: (This is a whole new area for me. I need guidance!)

I love working out while cruising, especially running on the promenade deck. Not to mention that the views from the gym are usually amazing! I'll usually just take a couple of workout outfits, mostly things I can wear to the beach one day and if it's not too sandy then to work out in another day. I don't sweat a ton so I can let air out and use another day if I need to.

I'm going to attach a few pictures of my outfits listed above. Some of the items I'm still waiting on from Old Navy and Steve Madden (shoes). I want to start putting things in the suitcase but I know I'll want to iron everything the a few days before we actually leave the house.

One of the outfits is kind of fun and will probably be a traveling outfit. But I love the Wizard of Oz and could not pass up the shirt. :D

I love the Wizzard and Oz shirt!

DH & I joined the local YMCA in early December and haven't missed many days of working out. I met w/ a personal trainer twice and learned some good stuff, i.e., working your core is the best way to work your abs. So I walk/run on the treadmill for a mile, then spend 30-40 minutes on cardio and/or strengthening and also some aerobics. An hour in the afternoon and we're back home.

The scale hasn't shown much of a change...but those nasty love handles aren't as noticeable and my thighs are a little less jiggly.

Best of All: After my yearly physical last week, my test results show a 24 point lowering of cholesterol and my doc says LDL is "unbelievably good":).

So...in the long run, it's not the jiggles and tight abs that are the only benefit of working out!

There are always folks in the cruise ship gym or walking on the track. I've never been interested before...

QUESTION: Do you work out while cruising? Do you wear the same clothes every time? :confused: (This is a whole new area for me. I need guidance!)

Sounds as if your hard work is paying off - congrats! Not easy to stick to a fitness programme - I still have to battle my head each day! Your right about core strengthening - its key.

I'm planning to workout a little bit each day while I'm cruising to try to fend off those jiggles (where did they come from all of a sudden!!) The ambience of the gyms and walking tracks on the ship seem so much more motivating than at home! Love the treadmills overlooking the wake of the ship!

Last cruise I was determined to keep up my fitness programme and decided to work with the personal trainer... big mistake! Aside from the fact that he was trying to hard sell me their detox formulas he worked me so hard I could hardly climb the stairs. I hurt! My DD is a personal trainer/fitness club manager and she just shook her head! PT's on a cruise really don't know you or your fitness level and needs and will only see you for a week or so so there is no real investment in you. This time I'll know better (save money) and do my own thing!

I take some biking shorts my Nikes and a bunch of T shirts that are easy to pack for changes - it's the socks that are a nuisance to wash and dry!

DD tells me that if the scales don't move not to be discouraged because it means you are building muscle! As long as I can get these new tummy and arm jiggles under control I'll be happy!

Good luck with your work outs - sounds as if you are making real progress at the YMCA.

I do the treadmill at home and then use the gym for weight machines etc. but really have to step things up now the cruise is only five weeks away!:eek:

Just picked these up. $250 normally, a steal for $50 at Dillard's and I think they'll be amazing for dinner in the MDR :D

6c4c5c9f-7444-e073.jpg

Sent from my Commodore 64 using MS/DOS

Love those shoes! Wish we had Dillards here. When I visited my daughter out in Iowa she took me to one and I couldnt believe all the good deals they had.

Good for you! It takes real dedication to stick with a program, and you are seeing some great benefits!

When I combine working out & travelling I take "dry weave" tops, sports bras & nylon shorts - things that pack up tiny, and dry out fast - aka, no cotton. Maybe 3 sets for a weeklong trip where you will be working out everyday. You can wash them in the sink & they dry very quickly. I do bring a pair of socks for each day (athletic no-show anklets). Wear the running shoes on the plane, they take up the most space.

Edited by CactusGirly

Since you are a manicurist, please advise me!

I got my finger slammed in a door back in October. The nail is finally starting to come off, but the sides are still attached. I don't want to rip it off because I know it'll hurt and am afraid it will make the new nail grow in weird (I can see the new nail already). What should I do? How long will it take before I have a new nail? I'm so sad that in 6 weeks when I go on my cruise I'll have a horrible looking middle nail *cries*

And thank you, Indiana! I thought they were incredibly glamorous. I'm in looooove with them... for $50 who wouldn't be? LOL!

Bummer about the nail. If you have a regular manicurist visit her and see what she can do for you. If not cut as much of the loose nail as you can to keep it from catching on something and ripping off the rest of the way. Unfortunately a new nail takes 5 months to grow from the cuticle to the tip of the finger. I would just go ahead and manicure the rest of your nails in a light color and enjoy your trip.

RazorbackBelle08: Wow! Your dress is a knockout!! Perfect for cruising! Thanks for posting the photo.

CactusGirl: Thank you for the suggestion of 3 "dry weave" workout outfits. That's exactly what I will do:cool:!

We had snow last night - about 3". But now the sun is shining brightly and the streets are just wet (grass & roof are still covered). But if I listen to some steel drum music and see the sun shining in the window...it feels a tiny bit like spring (and The Next Cruise) isn't that far away:cool:!

mdmc: I love the entire outfit - shoes, bracelet, and of course the Perfect Dress! You will look like a million bucks:cool:.

Our company has left. I love having DS, DDL & grandkids for a weekend. They came Friday night since a nasty winter storm was predicted for Saturday. And this time, the weatherman was correct! So instead of heading out to Zumba class Saturday AM, DS and I shoveled the driveway.

Anyway, they are gone and TOMORROW - The Process Begins! I will sort every possible cruise item into categories (shorts, tops, etc.) & by color. Perhaps a photo posted tomorrow will show how far I get...