Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

RedInLove: Silver shoes would go with so many of your perfect-for-cruises dresses! Buy them!!:) Silver is neutral, silver is fun!

You think it would dress up some of the solid color dresses? I hadn't thought of that, but I'd love to see them together. I have no idea where to start for silver shoes, I don't want huge clunky ones or super glittery, but I don't want them to be too plain either. I don't know if I want a big heel or total flats, or something in between. And I don't want to spend a fortune, of course!

Started trying on my clothing choices tonight...and discovered something awesome! I've been working really hard to lose weight and it's paying off. Last year I bought a really pretty royal blue blouse on clearance that zips up the front and has these pleated ruffles going down the zipper. It was waaay too small, so I bought it as a goal shirt. I tried it on tonight, and it fits!!!! Yay!

So, I'm adding that to my packing list for sure. I'll try to post a pic of me wearing it on the ship!!

I've determined that shoes are going to be my problem with packing. I just want to bring them ALL!! Lol

Woohoo!!!!!

curlymason: Congrats on reaching your goal! Whenever you're tempted to overeat, remember the saying "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels". That's my mantra...and then I eat no more than 3 bites of something that could quickly pack on a pound.

Shoes: We fashionistas do LOVE our shoes! If a luggage limit isn't an issue - take as many as you want!

I'm taking 14 pair for our 11-night cruise and I've never had more than 1 large suitcase and 1 medium or carryon:cool:.

I've spent 4 days choosing clothes: 2 per day = at least 22 outfits + swimsuits & nightwear.

Since trying to find something appropriate for SailAway but also warm enough for a cool northeastern departure port is much tougher than leaving from Florida. Here's what I'm wearing: Talbot's cord pants, short sleeve cashmere pullover + a Liz Claiborne cardigan. I MUST wear sandals, even if it's snowing! The Bagalini was recommended many pages back and will be my carry-on.

232323232%7Ffp%3B5%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3538%3A8538%3A335nu0mrj

Day 2 will still be cool until we're in warmer southern waters. I'll be wearing Talbot's pants (Talbots fit me w/o alterations), knit top and hoodie jacket. I love the yellow wedges (Anne Klein from zappos)

232323232%7Ffp%3B54%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3538%3A87%3A48335nu0mrj

BTW: DH took the photos and wanted a different background from my usual "bland empty wall".

This dress was a bargain! TJ Maxx, $20.:):)! The evening purse is Brighton. DH opened a lovely Zinfandel to match the dress...we shared part of the bottle at lunch...

232323232%7Ffp%3B47%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3538%3A7%3C6%3B6335nu0mrj

Love the dress and appreciate the packing list, I pack like you.

Indiana - love the TJMaxx dress!

Here is my attempt at sharing a section of my packing spreadsheet, hope it looks ok...

packingspreadsheet.jpg

I so need to do this! I was thinking of bagging up each day's jewelry in little ziploc baggies and labeling them for which outfit they go with.

RedInLove - the spreadsheet definitely helps! I also second your silver shoe choice! :)

I've already started my own spreadsheet! Would you explain your color coding? I see the coral looks like dinner, the blue for pool days, etc. Do you have more notations or codes that you found useful?

I am really sold now on wearing silver shoes! I won't be getting the $192 pair that I posted, as gorgeous as they are (and even DH agrees they're beautiful) but I will be hitting up the DSW and other shoe stores as soon as I get home to NH next weekend. I also want to find a silver clutch of some kind.

CactusGirly: I LOVE the way you set up your spreadsheet! I will study it a little closer and maybe add a little more detail to mine...

RedInLove: I have always used the little plastic jewelry bags for my jewelry. A Post-It note w/ the outfit written goes in the bag, too. Then all those bags go in one of those "free" cosmetic bags that come w/ a cosmetics promotion.

BUT - earlier in this thread, someone said they put those little bags right on the hanger w/ the outfit (if there is a hanger). It's another way of organizing...

boxermom: The silver shoes are gorgeous AND sexy! They would be dazzling for sure. There ARE other silver shoes out there, though. Mine came from DSW and were under $30. Keep looking!

YAY FOR YOU!!! I bet that felt SO good! Good job on your hard work!

This is my concern, I am planning on 2 pairs of heels right now (black and nude), but the long gown I picked last night screams for silver shoes. And silver shoes will mean a silver clutch instead of my black one.

Here's the dress:

So I had ordered this peach dress online, and then I saw it in the store today. It's actually pink, and is totally a juniors size even though it's sized as Small, Med, etc. The top will NEVER hold me. And the beading around the waist is not so fancy, it's rather cheap looking up close. I'm bummed!!! Back to the drawing board...

I always make a table with each day of the cruise, from embarkation to debarkation, taking into consideration any shore excursions or trips that will result in excess sweating. I split each day into morning, afternoon, and evening, knowing I will wear at LEAST two outfits per day. Then, I take all my favorite summery, light, pretty, dressy -ier clothes and put them together.

This always helps a great deal, because it can help prevent overpacking. For the past several cruises, we haven't flown (gotta love living close to the Port of Baltimore), so packing isn't a huge issue, but it still cuts down on the extra baggage, literally :D

Making the list, say, 3 months in advance, also helps if you realize there are several clothing items you need to shop for before the cruise. How handy :o

Also, once I know what *clothes* I'm bringing, I can start to narrow down my shoe selections. I've been known to take 9 - 12 pairs of shoes on a 7-day cruise.

Of course, I also include all the essentials on my table: hats, underclothes, jackets, wraps, nightclothes, lounge/active wear :p

My DH always teases me about THE LIST, but it's become a vacation ritual that helps keep me sane until the actual vacation...

I went cruise shopping today! You ladies are a bad influence, but so much fun!!! I bought a new pants suit for one of the formal nights, and I also picked up a casual red dress to run around in. My favorite purchase was the Fila toe shoes. I'm going to break those in before the cruise!

My DS in Minneapolis helped me with uploading the spreadsheet...but I can't figure out how to make it bigger. At least you can see how it's set up...

232323232%7Ffp%3B5%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3538%3C44392335nu0mrj

My spreadsheet shows every outfit for each activity. It's set up differently than CactusGirly, but does the same thing.

RedInLove: The problem with ordering online is that it doesn't always live up to expectations:confused: - sorry to hear that was your experience.

jawas: THE LIST is one of the most important "documents" we use for cruising! And making it 3 months ahead is very smart - giving you plenty of time to see what is needed.

grrl2grrl: The posters on this thread LOVE to be "a bad influence" - helping all of us to be more aware of how we look!

Edited by indiana71

If only DH wouldn't leave me at the port if I didn't get these shoes! At $192, I just don't think so! But the are gorgeous...

http://www.6pm.com/multiview/7793279/273692

Love the shoe, but the price.. :eek: I found these on eBay for a cruise a couple of years ago, very similar style.

ry%3D400

They silver with a gold metallic heel.

You ladies are serious with the spreadsheets, very thorough. I mainly work with pictures, cataloging and putting possible outfits together. Don't you just love getting ready for vacation!

Love the shoe, but the price.. :eek: I found these on eBay for a cruise a couple of years ago, very similar style.

ry%3D400

They silver with a gold metallic heel.

You ladies are serious with the spreadsheets, very thorough. I mainly work with pictures, cataloging and putting possible outfits together. Don't you just love getting ready for vacation!

Very pretty!

I'm going to start a spreadsheet, and also lay out outfits and take pictures when I decide what will go with what. I may also bag the jewelry by outfit, and bring the pics and/or spreadsheet with me. I might not assign every day's casual outfit, but know that I have x number of complete outfits to choose from so that I can still wear something I might be in the mood for.

I found this dress online, DH loves all the colors in it. I tried on a similar dress today in different colors, it fit pretty well and only needed to be hemmed, so I think this one will be fine since I am just under 5ft4in.
This dress is very cute and I like it even better and you aleady have the shoes!:p I ordered a 89.00 dress from VS for a dinner on the beach in Aruba and I was so excited but when it came it looked nothing like the online pix:mad: So back it went.. I found the perfect dress for 16.99:eek: at Old Navy! so sometimes it just goes like that. I like to start packing early just in case I need to hunt for something I'm not rushed and can wait for a sale.

Pris13: I love Chico's styles but their selection of petite sizes is small. But the clothes are made well and many fit the cruising life:cool:.

With all the talk of ordering online and being disappointed, I'm anxious about my latest purchase - an LBD (but not super dressy) from Macy's that had been $99, on sale for $20.79.

I wanted a neutral-colored dress that would be good for casual dinners. So much of my jewelry is colorful and needs a plain background.

The photo shows a red dress, but my order is in black. A small photo but you can see it has clean lines:

1017286_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=68&qlt=85,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

I've already started my own spreadsheet! Would you explain your color coding? I see the coral looks like dinner, the blue for pool days, etc. Do you have more notations or codes that you found useful?

I am really sold now on wearing silver shoes! I won't be getting the $192 pair that I posted, as gorgeous as they are (and even DH agrees they're beautiful) but I will be hitting up the DSW and other shoe stores as soon as I get home to NH next weekend. I also want to find a silver clutch of some kind.

Happy to! You are exactly right about the colors you noted, then purple was for workout, green was for shore excursions (I didn't copy enough of the sheet to show an example of that).

The grey is to show that that item is not need for this activity's outfit, and the white means I need to decide still which items I am taking. I also use a yellow highlight on boxes for items I still need to purchase.

BTW - LOVE your maxi dress that you just got.