Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

For those of us cruising in February... How exciting is it to say "My cruise is NEXT MONTH!" ? :D

Thank goodness all the holiday goodies are gone! Time to get serious about the fact that I will be in swimwear NEXT MONTH! :).

My cruise is NEXT MONTH! Holy moly...I hadn't really thought of that until you said it! YAY! 40 days to go for me!

I'm back on my workout/diet...I want lose another 10 lbs before the cruise so I'm not quite as scary in my bathing suit (trying to avoid that whole beached whale look lol).

Hello ladies (and gents)! First, Happy New Year to everyone! I hope 2012 is full of happy cruises, memories and enjoyment!

I am new to Cruise Critic (and cruising for that matter; just one cruise under my belt) but found this thread and so happy I did! My grandmother booked us a cruise on the Oasis immediately after she returned from the Allure. She is an avid cruiser and a bit of a "fashionista" as well! I still have over a year and a half to wait! Which seems long but I am somewhat glad because it allows me to plan, save for and buy the clothing I want to!

For background purposes, I am 19 and live in PA and I suppose you could say am a tad bit obsessive about my clothes, especially for vacations/cruises. I already began browsing online for proper formal dress attire and am looking forward to picking things up for my upcoming cruise. Until then I will simply day dream with the rest of you lovely fashionistas on this thread :)

You are so lucky to have a grandmother and that you are able to travel with her. My grandmother was a Fashionista and I miss her like crazy. She was always looking for a way to have fun and loved to travel. I only got to go with her one time (not a cruise) and had so much fun. After she passed we took my grandfather and my mother on a cruise and we had an amazing time.

So please savor every moment you get with her and go as much as possible!!

Happy Cruising. Grandparents are a blessing!:)

You are so lucky to have a grandmother and that you are able to travel with her. My grandmother was a Fashionista and I miss her like crazy. She was always looking for a way to have fun and loved to travel. I only got to go with her one time (not a cruise) and had so much fun. After she passed we took my grandfather and my mother on a cruise and we had an amazing time.

So please savor every moment you get with her and go as much as possible!!

Happy Cruising. Grandparents are a blessing!:)

I do feel very lucky, especially because I was born on my grandmother's 50th birthday. We are alike in many, many ways, so it is always special when we get to enjoy time together. My family and I have been so blessed, I actually have 2 great-grandmothers as well who are 95 and 90! I am very excited for this upcoming cruise! I know having our family together will make the vacation that much better!

WELCOME to iCruise717, Blueboss, and bigmohes! How nice to come here and read lots of new posts:). Keep coming back, share your ideas. We love to learn how to be better Fashionistas.

iCruise717: My 4 grandchildren are ages 5 - 8 and I look forward to cruising with them (and their parents) in the future. There's nothing more valuable than happy memories with family.

I'm so-o-o envious of you cruising on Oasis of the Seas. It's our favorite ship!! We've only been on it once and hope to book another one, either on Oasis or Allure, for an upcoming cruise. You will LOVE it. You are very smart to start planning and thinking about clothes, even though your cruise is a long way off. Come back and let us know when you find cruise clothes you love.

blueboss: And I'm envious of you being a seamstress!! You can alter all your own clothes. Sewing on a loose button is the best I can do:(! But my alterations lady does a great job - thank goodness!

Cactus Girl, curlymason, snowbirds2: cruising Next Month!! Lucky you!! Dust off the suitcases and start choosing outfits:cool:.

We aren't going until March (month AFTER next...) Although I didn't gain weight over the holidays, I'm at my maximum and need to drop 5-8 pounds. DH & I worked out almost every day before Christmas. Tomorrow we start back at it.

Cookies and eggnog are gone - replaced with lots of fruit & veggies.

Three weeks from now, the Cruise Room comes alive and I start putting outfits together. That's my incentive to work out and eat healthy:cool::).

Well we are back from our cruise and are heading home tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

We booked outr next cruise while on this cruise so all the planning starts again. We sail again on Feb. 18, 2012 on the MSC Poesia. It will be our 4th time on this ship.

Hopefully I will be able to download the pictures this week and post them after I get home.

Glad to see all the new posters on here and can't wait to learn more neat tricks for cruising.

iCruise717: My 4 grandchildren are ages 5 - 8 and I look forward to cruising with them (and their parents) in the future. There's nothing more valuable than happy memories with family.

I'm so-o-o envious of you cruising on Oasis of the Seas. It's our favorite ship!! We've only been on it once and hope to book another one, either on Oasis or Allure, for an upcoming cruise. You will LOVE it. You are very smart to start planning and thinking about clothes, even though your cruise is a long way off. Come back and let us know when you find cruise clothes you love.

I actually have already been thinking about clothing and outfits (yes a year and half away, but sales for summery things are going on now and I thought early planning might save me a few bucks)! My sister and I, who are about the same size, found a convertible dress that you can wear 7 different ways. We were thinking about purchasing it and each wearing it once, a different way, for the 2 formal nights. Does that make sense?

Do you all think it would be a good investment or should we stick with our own dresses?

Edited by iCruise717

My sister and I, who are about the same size, found a convertible dress that you can wear 7 different ways. We were thinking about purchasing it and each wearing it once, a different way, for the 2 formal nights. Does that make sense?
Makes good sense to me!

Today the Daughter and I went shopping and I spotted a perfect little black dress for her 18 year old self. I pointed out to her that she could wear my black heels with it onboard and I would wear something with different colours that night. Shoes take A LOT of space so if we can swap dress shoes its all good!

Swapping a dress makes sense too. Different accessories and no one will ever notice!

Makes good sense to me!

Today the Daughter and I went shopping and I spotted a perfect little black dress for her 18 year old self. I pointed out to her that she could wear my black heels with it onboard and I would wear something with different colours that night. Shoes take A LOT of space so if we can swap dress shoes its all good!

Swapping a dress makes sense too. Different accessories and no one will ever notice!

Very lucky you can share shoes! I am one of 3 sisters and none of us wear the same shoe size! How did that happen?? :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing, that no one would notice, especially because she wants to wear it as a one-shoulder dress and I want to were it strapless. Plus different accessories and shoes. Thanks for the opinion!

Well we are back from our cruise and are heading home tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

We booked outr next cruise while on this cruise so all the planning starts again. We sail again on Feb. 18, 2012 on the MSC Poesia. It will be our 4th time on this ship.

Hopefully I will be able to download the pictures this week and post them after I get home.

Glad to see all the new posters on here and can't wait to learn more neat tricks for cruising.

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear about your cruise and see the photos. Would love to hear what you were glad you took and/or wished you taken!

Indiana - I wish I had a "cruise room" to start getting ready! I have a big closet though, so perhaps I can make a mini version in the corner. :)

Edited by CactusGirly

TNGALOHA: Welcome back!!! I, too, am looking forward to seeing photos.

Wow! You will barely have time to unpack and you will be preparing for the Next Cruise:cool:. Good for you:).

iCruise717: Sharing clothes is a GREAT idea! Especially a dress that can be worn lots of different ways. If you could post a photo or give a web address, there would be others who would be interested, I'm sure.

My shoes are relatively small (size 5.5) & DH's are much bigger. I can slip a pair of mine inside a pair of his, and have done that when the number of suitcases count. And mine are much lighter than his, too. Thank goodness we cruise the tropics where sandals are the norm!

Here is the link to the dress. It is from Victoria's Secret so there are a few, well, more revealing ways to wear it, but I like the one-shoulder, v-neck and cross back ways to wear it (shown below). There are also two different lengths but I prefer the long one. We are tall girls, so long dresses work for us.

If any of you ladies are interested, there are several other styles of multi-way dresses offered, some shorter/dressier than others.

V327187.jpg.9edae0c8f33b92e72395b6d8cd560702.jpg

V327186.jpg.828b25db1f6df650e40a16c7d41d2f35.jpg

V327188.jpg.3b17af839668b6b08824ae9d63d4ea7c.jpg

Edited by iCruise717

Love the versatility of that dress iCruise717! My favorite colour too - I just bought a gown in that colour! Yes go for the long - looks so elegant! You are so lucky that you can share clothes with your sister!

Welcome back TNGALOHA! Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Just started the cruise clothes planning for next month. No space for a "cruise room" so going to pick up a rolling clothes rack from Ikea and take over part of the family room!! I really want to be practical and not over pack but am getting worried already! Too many choices! And now the new season clothes are arriving in the stores....uh oh!

Congrats at maintaining your weight over the holidays indiana71! Not an easy thing to do!

Week one of Weight Watchers for me.....got to loose 7-8lbs. At least! And hit the gym!

My weekly email from zappos had the subject line of "Resort Styles for Chasing Winter's Chill". Some interesting items...

AND the Y(MCA) was crowded this morning. Must be everyone who has resolved to get fit, lose weight...a resolution most of us make!

snowbirds2: What a great idea - the rolling clothes rack from ikea! There are times (other than cruise planning) when it would come in handy. If you don't have a dedicated space for Cruise Clothes, the rack makes it easier:cool::)!

Here is the link to the dress. It is from Victoria's Secret so there are a few, well, more revealing ways to wear it, but I like the one-shoulder, v-neck and cross back ways to wear it (shown below). There are also two different lengths but I prefer the long one. We are tall girls, so long dresses work for us.

If any of you ladies are interested, there are several other styles of multi-way dresses offered, some shorter/dressier than others.

ICruise717 - that dress is gorgeous. My daughter took a shape-shifting dress on a cruise a couple of years ago and got a lot of use out of it.

A word of warning about starting to plan and buy for a cruise: I'm into serious editing mode for the suitcase with only ten days to go before my cruise, and I've found that many things I purchased for the cruise have not made the final cut. LOL. I did an inventory a couple of months ago and was able to target some areas that needed improvement, but I'm still cutting things that were added since that inventory. It's so sad...So, the moral is, buy things you can wear and enjoy in your everyday life.

Hi, ladies! I am a soon-to-be first time cruiser who has been stalking this forum for several months now. :o My thanks to all for the wealth of examples of beautiful cruise attire! I've been diligently building a packing spreadsheet while critically examining my current wardrobe and cautiously shopping for needed additions. I've finally declared my dress shopping complete, and if my attachments worked, you can see some of my purchases!

The blue dress and the floral dress are intended for casual nights. I am also taking two other patterned dresses in a similar cut to the blue one. Thankfully, I already owned them! We have five casual nights, so I'm definitely counting on finding a batik dress that I can't live without on St Kitts! ;)

The black patterned dress and the purple dress are my smart casual choices.

And for formal night, the fiery blouse will be paired with a classic long, black pencil skirt with a modest slit up to the left knee. The skirt has been a staple in my closet for many years. For the second formal night, I have a silky emerald green blouse in a similar cut that I will once again pair with the skirt.

Almost all of the dresses are of a knit fabric, so I am looking forward to squeezing them into a carry-on bag without worrying about wrinkles!

Now I get to stress over shoes. I want to try and limit my dress shoes to two pairs. In reality, two pairs may be all I can find. I wear lower leg braces, so I am restricted in the styles of shoes I can safely and comfortable wear. Wish me luck!

casual.jpg.3e0eb5d849f19aeb077947b91a019bcf.jpg

506942080_smartcasual.jpg.0e14e0b3164f8492983a828e379b5463.jpg

formal.jpg.9b340bb9ba200ad72fef4cf95ab27aa8.jpg

Here are a couple of us in our everyday cruising clothes.

The picture of us boarding was funny because the suitcase I am trying to balance with my leg kept falling down on us, the other one was at the Bacardi Rum factory in Puerto Rico.

524684874_PC270115(800x600).jpg.7f506d56fe4e98c896b97c82af17ea83.jpg

2102835930_PC220006(800x600).jpg.417feb1156e16354fbee88ff6b690e75.jpg

TNGALOHA: Love, love your photos!! Makes me all the more excited about our upcoming cruise:cool:. Your formal dresses are bee-u-tiful and DH looks quite handsome! Thank you for sharing!

Your casual photos were good, too. We often focus on formal night, but really, we need lots more casual attire!

We'll be going to the Bacardi Rum Factory for the first time. Did you like it? (I know this is the fashionista thread...but I'm curious to learn your impression.)

Li'lImp: For a first time cruiser, you are well on your way to Fashionista status!! Choosing flattering dresses in a knit fabric are perfect for dinners and a long black pencil skirt is a good choice for formal night. You can change the top and accessories for completely different looks.

Shoes are a fun accessory and I realize that not everyone can wear the latest styles (i.e. - Who wears those sky-high platforms???). Good luck with choosing stylish but still fun pairs.

And a Question RE batik on St. Kitts: On the March 19 cruise thread, someone mentioned going to the batik store. Have you been there? Tell me/us about it, please! (I'm thinking it might be a must-see when we're there).

And a Question RE batik on St. Kitts: On the March 19 cruise thread, someone mentioned going to the batik store. Have you been there? Tell me/us about it, please! (I'm thinking it might be a must-see when we're there).

I've not been there yet, but while researching our ports of call, I discovered Caribelle Batik. It is actually on the grounds of Romney Manor, which is listed as the island's must-see. This link should take you to their site where they have a beautiful gallery of their products.

http://www.caribellebatikstkitts.com/

I think someone also posted that they have a small outlet-type store somewhere near the dock...

Edited by Li'lImp

TNGALOHA: Beautiful dresses! Thanks for sharing - you look stunning in them.

ida: Welcome to the forum! Love your choices! A pair of low-heeled, wedge, black strappy sandals would work with all of those dresses/outfits & would be comfortable too. Not sure if that would work for your braces.

iCruise717 -

Very pretty dress.

Wow, that's a really pretty dress!!

Love the versatility of that dress iCruise717! My favorite colour too - I just bought a gown in that colour! Yes go for the long - looks so elegant! You are so lucky that you can share clothes with your sister!

ICruise717 - that dress is gorgeous. My daughter took a shape-shifting dress on a cruise a couple of years ago and got a lot of use out of it.

Thank you ladies! I really like the color, it was what originally attracted me to the dress. On my only previous cruise, I wore a short cocktail dress. Though I did not feel out of place, I felt like I missed a chance to really dress up. Not this time!

I am very excited about this dress and so glad everyone here approves! :D